CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cam timing question

Alright, so I've always heard that the cam timing of the 5sfe is really bad. Bad to the point of having 14 degrees of negative overlap (found in this thread). In my search to determine whether that was correct, I got conflicting answers. I found this chart online, I'm assuming it's from a book sent to dealers made to explain differences in gens of cars (I've found others like this, but why this one mentions a totally different model is beyond me).

If I'm reading that chart right, that means that in fact the 90 celica had 12 degrees of positive overlap. This leads to my first question; is there a verified source of info on this? Like the BGB, and I just didn't see it in there?

My second question is this. If the timing happens to have negative overlap, can the exhaust gear be repositioned on the intakes' gear to give the engine some overlap. With the information in this thread, I can tell that the engine is not going to blow up, but is there anything mechanically preventing me from doing this?

The last question is whether it would be beneficial to put in later model cams. Specifically the 93 model intake cam with 200 duration @.050" and 0.319" lift mentioned in the last linked thread. Would that help at all, or just be a waste of money?

Any help is, as always, highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Hiko; 01-05-2007 at 04:06 AM.
    She lives!!!

And now thrives. Took 3 years and an embarrassing amount of money, but tooooooooootally worth it
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i see 226* intake cam
    240* exhaust cam (90 celica)
    12* overlap
    intake center at = 100* ATDC
    exhaust center at = 75* ABDC

and

226* intake
    228* exhaust ...
    6* overlap
    intake center at=107 ATDC
    exhaust center at =60* ABDC

let's take an example from another car... 4g63 motor

Valve timing DOHC
    cam ID mark (B,C)

Intake valve
    Opens BTDC 21"
    Closes ATDC 43"

duration = 244*
    center at = 101 ATDC

Exhaust valve
    Opens BBDC 57"
    Closes ATDC 18"

duration = 255*
    center at = 70.5* ABDC

overlap = 39* overlap
    2005 C200 Kompressor sport
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster
    On the way:HKS FCD's (12psi), Remus testpipe (2ndary cat), vortech 2:1 FMU

my blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If i were to do anything ... Id look at sentra SR20 cams ... i'd look at 3sgte cams too .. .get all teh data look for waht seems to be universal between these (as far as timing goes) and then go and get webcams to make you cam with the lift, duration AND TIMING that you want...

Timing is the difference between putting in cams and making 10hp vs putting in cams and making 25hp drop in out of the box. Anyone cam make a bigger profile ... but having a non symmetrical profile , or altered timing on the cam is the difference between say a webcams cam and a platform speific vender designed cam (like a dynamic racing cam for 3000gt's or a jun cam for an RSX)... jun in some magazines were talking about their yellow RSX and how many cam profiles they had to go through to get the right setting... when they finally got it, the car iwth an intake, cam, and tune has 40hp over stock
    2005 C200 Kompressor sport
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster
    On the way:HKS FCD's (12psi), Remus testpipe (2ndary cat), vortech 2:1 FMU

my blog:

Thread Information