CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Getting started in racing: autocross, road racing

If you would like to get starting in autocrossing or road racing, here are a few links that will help you out:
    • SCCA Divisions and Regions - Maps out the geographical locations of the divisions and regions; provides contact information for autocross (Solo II), road racing, and rally racing administration; and includes a listing of local race tracks.
    • Autocross.com - Provides everything you need to know to get started. Click on "Club List" to find a region nearest you and all the autocross clubs in your area. The "Getting Started" page provides all the necessary tips to help you out on your first event (there's quite a bit to read through, so take your time).
    • Classifications and rules - Jerry Mouton's site on SCCA car classifications and rules for each class.
    • Solo II Novice Handbook - This is a wonderful guide to help you through your first autocross season.
    • Evolution Performance Driving School - If you want to get real good really fast (at driving really fast), then participate in an Evolution school.
    • NASA road racing - For those who are interested in high-performance driving events (HPDE) and road racing.
    • The Drivers Edge - The Drivers Edge organizes HPDE. The are 8 events for the 2005 season at a cost of $275 per event. This is primarily for people who are located in Texas or in the Southwest region of the U.S.
    • ConeCrazy.org - Visit the Tech Files section. There is valuable information to read.
    • Turn Fast - Includes various driving tips for the enthusiast.

Two more road racing organizations in Southern California:

Redline Track Events
    SpeedVentures
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

topless is more fun! roman is on a distinguished road roman's Avatar

And if you're looking to join any events in the Midwest this is a very good resource:

Planet Torque Motorsports Schedule

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

www.ner.org is for New England. It is a direct link to get you started in local events.

SCCAForums.com - If you have questions about Solo, Rallycross, or Club Racing, post here.
    Morwan Osman
    Navy Gloss '90 Celica
    Self-hating Toyota fanatic and bench racer.

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Here's one for Canada (west coast)

http://www.rallybc.com

I want todo a TSD rally but have no license (:

If I could add my advice. I'm definitely not a pro racer but one of the biggest reasons why I never got into road-racing was because of the intimidation factor. All the rules, regulations, classes, etc. is very daunting. Especially if you already have a car that's somewhat modified. On one hand, you might be too modified and get placed into an open class which will be too competitive. On the other hand, you might not have enough knowledge what modifications should be made and how to make sure it meets the rules.

For me, I like being able to get out there, have some fun and not worry so much about rules, regulations and classes. I think that's why a lot of people get into Drag racing as one of the first motor sports. It's real easy and cheap, but most importantly there are 'free runs' where you're just racing against yourself. Once you're ready you can move up into time attacks and brackets, and from there even more competitive drag racing.

This year a friend opened me up to HPDE - High Performance Driving Events. These are setup essentially like open course 'free runs'. They typically occur on a real race track or a test track and you can bring any car with any mods. Sometimes they're timed, often they are not. There's usually designated sections where you can pass others up, so you can go at your own speed. You can learn the fundamentals about how to drive your car from instructors and when you're confident enough, you can just go for seat time. Most importantly, a lot of the people there do participate in other motorsports so you can mingle and figure out which way you'd like to go.

If you're like me and just want to get out and have some fun in your car without classes and regulations, try it out. Bring a Go-pro or an iPhone/Android and record your laps. Review the videos and learn from the instructors. When you're ready you can start looking at prepping your car for specific types of racing.

Thread Information