CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Default Serious AutoX setup discussion

i just wanted to get a serious suspension/tire/weight discussion going based on autox only. so i suppose i'll get started.
    currently i'm running nt01 2254515 tires on 7 inch rims, megan street coilovers with 450f and 200r springs. stock front sway bar (which stays so i can rarely have a nice weekend drive) and i have a 7/8ths rear bar that will arrive in a couple days. other than that she is stripped down to nearly 2500lbs in FP class. autopower cage, frame connectors, front and rear strut braces, corbeau forza drivers seat hard mounted (no other seats), poly bushings everywhere possible, as much caster as i can get in a 4th gen. i think that's it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar

i'm planning on changing the entire rear arm setup to heim next year. i'll probabily get some hoosier bias slicks next year as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

So... what's up?

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

just discussing ideas to better the celica chassis. and a list of who has done what and so forth. this way we can see if there are common things between everyone.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I would take a look at the goodyears and the avons. We run the Goodyears on the CP car and they are just awesome.

Swapping to heims is the way to go man.

How are the megans working for you? I've been unimpressed in the past. But then again, they're not any worse than Teins or JIC or any JDM shock for that matter.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

What exactly are you talking about when you say change the rear arms to Heim?

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

^ +1 I'm curious on this as well.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

removing all 6 stock rear control arms. literally make 6 new ones, all adjustable with heim joints on both ends (except the rear of the trailing arms, cause you can't)

i looked at the goodyear tires, they don't make anything in a size i can practically use. the best tire i have found here recently is a cantilever bias hoosier. but that is going to have to wait a while. 1K in tires is out of the range with a little one on the way.

k.beaty setup:

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

That looks spiffy as hell, what are the benefits from adjustable arms? (noob questions)
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

I'M KILLING IT k.beaty is on a distinguished road
    k.beaty has donated to the forums! k.beaty helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafix View Post
    k.beaty setup:

Make sure you use good quality rod ends. Mine were about $30.00 each, but well worth it in my opinion.

Also, making the trailing arm adjustable makes you able to adjust rear caster, and there's something to adding rear caster. I've spent enough time with the car on scales, moving weight around, adjusting caster and camber to have it pretty well figured out. The best thing you can do is adjust something, run some laps and see how the car feels, as well as how the lap time was affected.

Everyone will have different opinions on alignment setup, you have to figure out what is going to work best for your driving style, and maximize it.
    Kyle

1990 GT-S - Diamond wheel OG

thanks for the tips kyle. are you increasing or decreasing the rear caster? my thoughts are that you are simply changing the wheelbase and spring rate by doing that on a wheel that doesn't turn.

Why would you be changing the springrate? The wheelbase does change, but how would the springrate change just by strut angle?
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

I'M KILLING IT k.beaty is on a distinguished road
    k.beaty has donated to the forums! k.beaty helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

thanks for the tips kyle. are you increasing or decreasing the rear caster? my thoughts are that you are simply changing the wheelbase and spring rate by doing that on a wheel that doesn't turn.
    Spring rate is not affected by a change in caster, but you're right about the wheelbase being changed. Personally, I do some silly things when playing with my alignment that most people laugh at. Maybe thats why I'm able to beat 220hp Honda's with my 5SFE celica...

For auto-x, I think you'd want your cross caster to be exactly the same. I dont know if having adjustable rear caster would necessarily help on at auto-x course. I race on road courses, so I'm not sure how helpfull my advice will be....
    Kyle

1990 GT-S - Diamond wheel OG

Images

The caster in the back is really a non-issue as the rear spindles don't turn. Focus on the camber and the toe. What might be more of a factor is the wheelbase/camber gain vs compression.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

spring rate was more of my brain thinking at extremes. at any rate, interesting stuffs. i actually use negative toe in the rear to help with rotation

Really? I found that 0 toe in the rear helped more... or maybe I just thought it did...

Unless you're talking toe out?

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

yes toe out not toe in. i'm trying to force the car to rotate rather than let it push.

How much Toe out do you run? Like I said, I currently run 0 when I go to meets and then set it back to stock for daily driving.

.15 degrees out on both sides. it make the 3 digit numbers most interesting.

.15 degrees out on both sides. it make the 3 digit numbers most interesting.
    Last time I saw three digit numbers was down hill with a tailwind on the skyway...

Images

That's a lot...

I would rather play with camber and spring rate in the back than that much toe out.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Are these tyres you're using cut slicks rather than full slicks?

Wouldn't run that much rear toe, increases tyre scrub way too much in a straight line for me. Run more camber and jack the rear pressures up.
    06 BMW 320Cd
    02 Mini Cooper Race Car
    94 ST205 Japanese Import
    92 ST185 Carlos Sainz

.15 degrees? that is hardly nothing. stock is .2 degrees positive.

hey guys don't forget what this whole thread is about. it's not for street cars. it's for autocross.

Images

Exactly, I think it's the wrong way to go. It'll always rotate (which means when you oversteer the car will take longer to reign back).

Like I said, I'd play with the spring rate or swaybars before adding that much toe out.

PS: .2 in with stock bushings would probably bring them close to 0.0 at freeway speeds.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Thread Information