CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Clearance issues

Now that I have the motor in place, I found that the only clearance problems I've had is with the tranny cross-member, which I will take pix of once I remove it to add some bracing where I cut it, and the stock rear exhaust manifold. The stock manifold angles down towards the driver’s side and points right at the tranny cross-member. Also, the O2 sensor fitting is too close to the steering rack to allow the installation of the O2 sensor. I can cut the manifold and position it to point straight down and at the same time rotate the pipe to point the O2 sensor in a position where it can be installed. I’ll have pix for comparison. Otherwise there is plenty of room all around the motor.
    Jim -
    '88 GTS - autocross car - V6 swap - I'm for sale
    '93 NA MR2 - autocross car and driver
    '05 Honda CRV - wife's car
    '07 Coroalla LE - my daily driver
    '95 Ford F250
    Our local autocross track:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Why would my toy come with small parts unless I'm supposed to eat them" - Stewie

Default Carrier bearing mlount comparison

Here's a comparison of the carrier bearing mounts. The mount on the left is the mount with the integrated motor mount. This is the mount I used. The mount on the right is the mount that came with the motor.

Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

"Why would my toy come with small parts unless I'm supposed to eat them" - Stewie

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

So you're going to be running in Street Mod w/ only 200HP... welcome to my hell...

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

serial biochemist mtp_69_i is on a distinguished road mtp_69_i's Avatar
    mtp_69_i has donated to the forums! mtp_69_i helped get Play's clutch job done.

Images

great write up so far. Keep the info coming!
    =================================

Originally Posted by Playfortoday
    First race video that EVER put a smile on my fast. Go little VW.
    bedtime for bonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by 88GT2GTS
    Hey, that photo angle looks familiar:

Here is the work that I had done on my rear manifold that you mentioned in a different post:
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Wow, excellent project. Glad someone is going for it in a 4th gen now.

1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

If you guys get this swap down to a science this could become a popular swap due to the low price and availabillity of that engine. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Avgerinos
    Hey, that photo angle looks familiar:
    Yea, the difference is that you have a mount there. I should have my mount in place tomorrow, using the stock 3S mount also.

Yea, I figure my exhaust manifold will end up looking like yours as well.
    Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

looks good so far!

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey
    So you're going to be running in Street Mod w/ only 200HP... welcome to my hell...
    I know, I'm up against our class champ which as a 5.0 Fox body Mustang, really nice car, and a guy who has a 240Z with with a Vete motor. The car is caged, has a 300ZX rear, custom control arms, etc. I'm not really sure how he qualities for SM, but I guess he does.
    Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

SM pretty much just requires you to just keep your car street legal, not streetable.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Default 03/03/07 - Progress report

This morning I finished the front motor mount (passenger side) and now the motor is sitting inside the engine bay on its own. Below is a pic of the mount. When I pull the motor back out, I'll get detailed pix of the mounts I fab'd.

I started assembling the rest of the stuff. Looks like the Camry power steering pump will work. The inlet hose fits right onto the fluid reservoir. The pressure hose is one long hose from the pump to the hard line on the rack. The fitting on the end of the pressure line is the same as on the Celica. The only problem is the Camry line is about 9" too long. It looks like the line from the Celica pump may work on the Camry pump.

The alternator is much larger than the Celica and barely fits. I changed the fuel rails and realized both types of fuel rails have the same bolt patterns, which I mistakenly thought was different. The fuel line from the rail just barely reaches the filter. I have to bend the hard line a little to make it reach.

I had to modify the rear exhaust manifold, a lot (pic below). Basically, I had to shorten and straighten the collector, point the O2 a different direction and rotate flange. Unfortunately, one of the shifter cables hits the manifold. I'm going to have to pull the cable away from the manifold and hope it doesn't bind the cable. I have the '95 upper intake on along with the VSV switches. Using this, I'll be able to use the Celica canister.

I started stripping the 3S-GE harness to get the "open circuit relay" for the fuel pump and the headlight retractor thingy.

Front motor mount:

Modified exaust manifold:

Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

Images

great progress Jim! It's all looking really good. And damn that engine bay is already starting to look nasty! Cheers for the update, keep up the good work!!

bedtime for bonzo.

Thanks to Isgheero (from 4gcelica.org), I have posted a PDF with the wiring info I compiled while merging the V6 and Celica wiring. This PDF is a compilation of my notes (which have a few blanks I need to fill in) and can be used doing a non plug-and-play swap, plug-and-play being something like from a 3S-FE to a 3S-GE. The file should contain all the wiring that connects to the main engine harness that would be left un-terminated when the engine, ecu and harness are removed. The file is not specific to my swap. You would still need to figure out were the wiring from your swap would join to the wiring of your Celica. I can provide some info specific to my swap, but it would probably only apply to the V6 with the same ecu/harness I have used. I think I will add some info that is generic enough to help figure out how to wire your specific swap. For example, I could explain where I wired the starter from the ignition switch, the AM1 fuse, the RTR fuse, etc.

Let me know if I should include anything else to this PDF while things are still fresh on my mind and my wiring is still somewhat exposed.

PDF: http://lanspeed-fun.com/st162/4th_gen_wiring_info.pdf
    Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

Jim excellent job. I look forward to seeing the end result and your opinion of it. Great Job!

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

Wow, I'm really excited to see this finished, when do you expect it to be road worthy?
    LSD is installed......
    Salon Spa Software for all your management software needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 3sgte@daspeedof
    Wow, I'm really excited to see this finished, when do you expect it to be road worthy?
    I'm hoping it will be done in about a month. I've been trying to get a LSD tranny from Toysport, but I have finally given up on that. I'll be checking other sources here soon.
    Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

Updates to my project are being made to this thread:

http://st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245
    Last edited by ChrisD; 01-20-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: fixing dead links
    Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

Images

looks like it's coming along Jim. Top stuff!

bedtime for bonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by mtp_69_i
    looks like it's coming along Jim. Top stuff!
    Thanks. I ran into a wall today and everything has come toa stop. I need to figure out what I need to do to get the E153 tranny mounted. I have the All-trac mounts I need, but I can't get the tranny-cross member to bolt up. I need to find out if I need to use the All-trac tranny cross-member as well.
    Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

This is complete. For details see the thread in the 4gcelica forum:

http://st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245
    Last edited by ChrisD; 01-20-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: fixing dead links
    Jim -
    '95 Ford F250

For some great info.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Haha, did you see me messing around in here yesterday Mario or something?

Thread Information