CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    YangS

Default 3sgte swap Celica vs. Silvia s13 SR20DET swap

I am a nissan fan to and my second car might be a sr20 swap 240sx; but after I am done with my 3s swap celica.

I haven't heard much about these two going at it. Mostly srt-4, ITR, eclipse gsx, talon tsi, or mr 2 agianst the 3sgte celica. So which one do you guys think is the better of the 2. Anyone know where I could find video clips of the 2 car?

Modification not known yet.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I've raced authentic Silvias...basically the range for the SR20DET guys that I've raced and seen race has been 13.6-14.1 in the 1/4 mile...
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

I've raced our old shop car which was an SR20DET swap 240, front mount, T28, full 3" exhaust, etc. As soon as we went for it, I jumped a car on him quick and then kept pulling slowly. I was running 10psi while the 240SX was on 14psi. I am working on a front mount, 2.5" crush exhaust, 3" downpipe and upgraded turbo. I would imagine that if we were both on the stock turbo at 14psi to 14psi.. its pretty dead even. I'd really leave this one up to the driver to decide it.

clayton, too bad you didnt video tape the race
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

i would probably say this is up to the drivers. I have not looked into the weight difference.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

Benevolence

does the 240 being rwd make a major difference?

not really... curb weight is VERY close
    Thomas

90 gt
    3sgte
    57trim ct
    ZT-2 datalog/wideband
    coolingmist water injection
    3rd gen cam
    cp pistons
    walbro fp/ats rail fpr

i haven't driven an sr20 swap 240 but i've driven a stock 240....shifting from each gear in a rwd car is completely different in a fwd setup.....rwd feels like car is pushing you in each gear.....i dont know if it actually gives it more advantage but it sure does feel like it...
    3sgte..
    13psi

it does the weight is all transfered on the powered wheels, that means you can give more throttle without wheel spin = faster acceleration.

I had good time with this one

The new ride!!

msn:

YangS

sr20det are one of the best motor for nissan like the toyota 3sgte, But I think maybe the 240sx will launch quicker then the celica since its rwd.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean's Avatar
    Sean has donated to the forums! Sean helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Sean helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon Sean helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

This thread is going to be closed, unless you can give me a reason to keep it open.

Please read the rules of drag racing.

Turbo 1990 Celica T3/T4 57 trim
    2007 Toyota Tundra DBL SR5 5.7 TRD
    2010 Lexus ISF PPE Headers JOE Z Exhaust K40 Radar
    2007 Range Rover Sport HSE

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    This thread is going to be closed, unless you can give me a reason to keep it open.

Please read the rules of drag racing.
    I don't see any reason why this thread should be closed! We are having a good conversation here, what 'rules' of drag racing are you even talking about? reguardless.. not like we're here drag racing anyways, we're just talking about how two cars stack up! This is perfectly fine conversation, I don't understand were your coming from sean!
    Last edited by Sean; 01-24-2005 at 06:00 AM.

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

I see where you're comming from Sean, this post is for sure a bench race. However, we're not talking about two specific cars. As Clayton said, we're just talking about the pros/cons of the two cars in a straight line setting.

It would be another story if this was a "My buddy said his SR20DET 240sx would kick the shit out of mine. I have intake/exhaust and he has a boost controller" type shit.

I think this is fine, but NO E-RACING
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean's Avatar
    Sean has donated to the forums! Sean helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Sean helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon Sean helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I dont want this place to be full of "bench racing". I know bench racing very well, and its a waste of bandwith. We want to hear aftermath stories, not who do you think will win?

Snafu, that is the answer that I wanted to hear. I dont see this inquiry post as a problem, just as long as it doesnt change into a drama/ penis envy debate. I as well am rather curious about these SR20's.

JUST KEEP IT TO THE FACTS (Like you all have done ), and continue.

To add, from what ive seen, non boosted SR20's are still dogs! I raced two at the drag strip after my swap, and they were both about a second behind. I imagine a boosted one would be very quick indeed.

Images

Sorry clay, hit edit instead of qoute

Images

Sorry clay, hit edit instead of qoute
    Its cool man, just don't want you to lose the purpose of why were here and threaten closing threads when its not needed. You know me and my past, I am avidly against closing threads.

Once both cars are moving, FWD compared to RWD will not be a big deal. 1st gear applies the most torque to the ground of all the gears.

-Dave
    "Mechanical engineers do it with less energy and greater efficiency."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trance4c
    Its cool man, just don't want you to lose the purpose of why were here and threaten closing threads when its not needed. You know me and my past, I am avidly against closing threads.
    Like I said, as long as it stays to the facts, and is civil, I have no issues.

silverarrow

I personally have an sr powered s13. I love it. Haven't test driven or been in a 3s swapped celi yet so I can't compare either. I would think it's very very close. Driver's race all the way on this one.

Oh and it being rwd doesn't have any advantage of the celica being fwd. The rear on these 240s are pretty light to be drag racing it which leads to wheel spin. I know!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by silverarrow
    I personally have an sr powered s13. I love it. Haven't test driven or been in a 3s swapped celi yet so I can't compare either. I would think it's very very close. Driver's race all the way on this one.

Oh and it being rwd doesn't have any advantage of the celica being fwd. The rear on these 240s are pretty light to be drag racing it which leads to wheel spin. I know!

Pics, vids, specs, times?

YangS

sr20det are a high rev motor compare to the 3sgte so, IMO maybe the sr20 well have a harder time to run 13 then a 3sgte.

Hey Sean thanks for not closing the thread, Sorry about it but I forgot about that we can't post bench racing. I will make sure this won't happen in the future. Thanks.

silverarrow

Pics, vids, specs, times?
    http://www.3sgteplanet.com/gallery/album05/DCP_6700

http://www.3sgteplanet.com/gallery/album05/DCP_6701

http://www.3sgteplanet.com/gallery/album05/DCP_6702

No engine pics as there's nothing to show in there LoL besides the Koyo radiator. I'm sure everyone on here already knows how sr20 engine bays look like. This is just like any other typical engine bay.

Specs when I did a 15.038 at 91 mph w/ 2.2 60ft:

2200 ft above sea level
    105+ degree day
    I forgot humidity but it was BURNING HOT!!!

K&N filter only
    stock boost
    stock smic
    stock turbo
    stock exhaust

Current Specs are unknown. Haven't had a chance to race it.
    Mods are:

Greddy vspl fmic
    AVCR 10 low and 14 high
    5zigen dp
    5zigen Rocket catback exhaust
    Nismo engine/transmission mounts
    ACT street/strip clutch
    intrax springs and kyb gr2 struts(not good to drag with, prefer Adjustable shocks)
    Pilot short shifter
    Tires are now the Falken Ziex 512s 225/50/16(should have went with 45 series) in rear and 205/50/16 in rear.
    Nismo 2 way LSD

Basic bolt ons only.

silverarrow

Quote Originally Posted by YangS
    sr20det are a high rev motor compare to the 3sgte so, IMO maybe the sr20 well have a harder time to run 13 then a 3sgte.

Hey Sean thanks for not closing the thread, Sorry about it but I forgot about that we can't post bench racing. I will make sure this won't happen in the future. Thanks.
    SR20s are higher revving motors, but honestly they're like DSMs. You can squeeze easy hp out of these engines and make them fast. They're just as easily capable of 13s like any other 4 cyl turbo engine. It's all on the DRIVER(KEY THING)!

Images

Beautiful car man! That front mount really looks viscous

Though, the trap speeds your getting seem to be pretty damn low. The NA SR20's i was playing with at the track were trapping around 98, and were in the 14's. Not trying to knock your car down, but is she up to par maintenance wise? I realize you were at 2200 feet on a hot humid day....

Regardless, keep us updated on your next track visit, it sounds to me like your hunting for 13's with your current mods. Should be attainable!

silverarrow

Thanks for the compliment man. Spent four crazy years on this s13.

Very up to par maintenance wise now LoL. Then the idle was still a bit jumpy even with perfect timing and perfect compression. And my setup is capable of 13s, but at this sea level the fastest I'll get is probably low 14s high 13s if I get a good launch. Haven't had a chance to get back out there, soonest would be early summer. Thanks for the support Sean.

Thread Information