CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Performance Upgrades

I thought that it would be good to make a thread concerning strictly performance upgrades. I have looked through and haven't found a thread concerning just upgrades.

So I think this is a good place where you can write down upgrades from mild to higher priced and customs for our celicas
    1990 Celica GTS

Quote Originally Posted by 91PinkCeli
    I thought that it would be good to make a thread concerning strictly performance upgrades. I have looked through and haven't found a thread concerning just upgrades.

So I think this is a good place where you can write down upgrades from mild to higher priced and customs for our celicas

On the 5sfe, you're kindof limited in terms of readily accessible parts...

Clutch
    Flywheel
    intake
    header
    exhaust
    nitrous
    underdrive pulleys
    And i've heard of cam gears, but haven't seen them

Past that, you're looking at some fairly involved work... head work, high compression pistons, etc...

Putting on a "ge" head to replace the "fe" head is an alternative, but will require the 3sge ecu/wiring/injectors. Basically you'll end up with a 2.2 litre "stroker" 3sge is the closest way to describe it. This will end up running probably $1500, to look at it on the safe side.

And then obviously, you can make a "5sfte" if you have a mind to do a lower-pressure turbo setup. Keep in mind this can be pretty risky, considering the 5sfe internals aren't all that strong, or well suited to boost. (although Pressure2 seems to do well with it. )

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Do you realize how large this list would end up being? I mean.. huge... but ok, I'll start with a couple...

K&N Filter with new piping, fittings and silicone couplers: $100
    Ground Control Coilover Springs: $400
    Koni Sports: $600-800
    HKS cams: $300 per cam (3SGTE and 3SGE) plus shim underbucket or shimless buckets and new valve springs if you're going with high lift cams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 91PinkCeli

My vote goes to the best tires you can afford - 5th gens ain't drag racers, but handle nice, especially on TN country backroads....tires are a very effective upgrade, and no hassles, given a reasonable size chosen ....

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

1sloceli is running on Toyo Proxes4 (I think) and they seem to be a pretty well rounded tire, if you're going full out grip and don't care about tire wear Falken Azenis are always a good inexpensive choice.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

well 4afe engine wise this is what i got,
    4-2-1 header off a corolla - $120.00
    Custom 2.5 pipping exhaust - $150
    Aftermarket muffler - $40
    Custom intake - $30

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The list is about as long as your imagination, and the prices follow suit.

Suspension is the most sensible mod and the one I would reccomend the most. Power means diddly squat if you can't control it. Period.

A decent set of tires in a good size, some springs and shocks/struts and you will be in good shape. You can go with swaybars, braces (subframe, front rear upper strut tower and a cage for the really determined) and more advanced options at a later time. The nifty thing about modding your suspension is that you also improve your looks.

I currently have a set of Toyo Proxes4 and a set of Hankook Ventus II, the Toyos win without even a fight, don't buy the Ventus unless you are desperate. I am on my second set of Toyos, and I absolutely love them.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

what is the best cheap shocks out there for the coupes? kyb gr-2's? and where can we get bushings also?

Images

... *sigh*... yes GR2s are a cheap replacement... you can get bushings at http://www.toyheadauto.com/Performan..._Bushings.html

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

i have some idears my 3s-ge
    -HKS cams
    -port polish exorst only!!
    -4 - 2 - 1 extractor's
    -2.25 inch exhaust
    -K & N pod filter in cold air box
    -64mm throttle body
    -and chip the ecu

I don't want to make a racer out of my car just a little extra go, so everything helps.
    1990 Celica GTS

Thread Information