CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Edicius

Default INT wipers, rear defroster, brake light ?'s

i already posted this in the 5th gen section, but due to the complete lack of responses, i decided to try here in hopes of having better luck.

i have a 90 gt and a few problems have arisen.

problem 1:

my intermittent wipers no longer work. they have have always worked fine, but over the past 2 months, they have been on the fritz. sometimes they would work, and other times they wouldn't. now they will not work at all. i'm curious as to what could cause this, and how could i go about fixing this.

problem 2:

my rear defroster does not work. i took off the plastic moulding on the hatch to see if it was due to a disconnection, only to find out that there's nothing there to connect to. common sense tells me if i have the rear defroster button, and the grid on my rear window, i should have the connecting wires that power the grid when the button is pushed. any ideas on what i could do would be very helpful.

problem 3:

just recently my "BRAKE" light has been coming on for some reason. (the one on the dash that comes on when you pull up the e-brake) it only seems to happen after i step on the accelerator all the way from a stop. the light will come on, and stay on for about 20 seconds or so, and then turn off. my brakes work fine, they don't squeak at all, and my brake fluid is full. so i'm not sure why this is occuring.

any help with any or all of these questions would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Edicius; 01-18-2005 at 10:38 AM.

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Ok will address this with 3 parts
    1. I would think it is the control unit (on the steering colum)
    and if it is it will be a pain in the rectum.

2, there must be a connection to the window. once when I was working on my celica I poped one of the connectors off, Simple fix if you have a sodiering iron.. the points where the connectors attach have a little square point on the window.
    find the wire, and the connection is probably still attached.
    rosin it up soder it back into place... VOLA defrosting again.

3. your brake pads are wearing down... give them a check and if they still have about a .25" on the pads before they go metal to metal just top off your brake fluid a little over the full line.

Good luck!
    David
    BM Dubyou
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 118i Monaco Blue, 6 Speed Manual, Daily Driver
    2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver
    2011 328i M sport, 6 Speed Manual, Titan Silver (wife's Car)
    No Automatics in this family!

1. I agree with David.

2. The back glass may have been shattered at one point, and the defroster wire was cut or pulled and broke. The wire should be there. If not, request the location of the wire and its color over in fifth gen or via someone here with a gt. If it is a gt hatch, then the wire will be in the wire grommet that goes fom the car body to the hatch.

3. My bet is low fluid. It happened to me in my GT coupe when the level got low. Hit the gas, fluid in reservoir shifts back, and fluid level indicator dips down. Top it off, and it should go away. If it gets low in the immediate future, be concerned that you may be leaking fluid.
    2007 Mazda RX-8 GT
    1992 Toyota Celica All-trac Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MeOw?! ^_^ ... ZoOm ... rAr! ... *eats a fish*

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Playfortoday
    1. I agree with David.

2. The back glass may have been shattered at one point, and the defroster wire was cut or pulled and broke. The wire should be there. If not, request the location of the wire and its color over in fifth gen or via someone here with a gt. If it is a gt hatch, then the wire will be in the wire grommet that goes fom the car body to the hatch.

3. My bet is low fluid. It happened to me in my GT coupe when the level got low. Hit the gas, fluid in reservoir shifts back, and fluid level indicator dips down. Top it off, and it should go away. If it gets low in the immediate future, be concerned that you may be leaking fluid.
    Yeah what play said! Hey I mean what I said... :lolhittin
    Yeah what we both said!
    BM Dubyou

2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Third option on the rear defroster -- the timer control. Our defrosters are designed to work for only so long before shutting themselves off, and the control unit is matched to that time. I discovered this after my rear defroster stopped working.

My mechanic ran the thing with a voltmetre and concluded I'd basically burnt out my timer control by restarting the defroster after it timed out. The fix -- replace the control unit.

I live in the Lower Mainland of B.C., so a rear defroster isn't that big of an issue. Put it this way, the worst blizzard we've had in 75 years = 10 cm (6 inches for our American friends). Coldest it's ever been was this past couple weeks = -10C/14Fovernight. It's currently 14C/57F.

Am I gloating?
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean's Avatar
    Sean has donated to the forums! Sean helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Sean helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon Sean helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

1: I disagree with both of you. The problem most likely lies in the motor unit itself. I had the same issue, but a new wiper motor, problem gone. It does not have to be the expensive pesky timer behind the steering wheel (which i bought BTW).

Turbo 1990 Celica T3/T4 57 trim
    2007 Toyota Tundra DBL SR5 5.7 TRD
    2010 Lexus ISF PPE Headers JOE Z Exhaust K40 Radar
    2007 Range Rover Sport HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    1: I disagree with both of you. The problem most likely lies in the motor unit itself. I had the same issue, but a new wiper motor, problem gone. It does not have to be the expensive pesky timer behind the steering wheel (which i bought BTW).
    That is a valid point, Sean. Sometimes a motor will not run if the brushes are not receiving constant full voltage. It is mind of like stopping a car that has starting problems. You leave that bitch running until it can get fixed. To determine this, test amperage on the power wire to the rear wiper motor. If it intermittently changes, it is your motor.
    2007 Mazda RX-8 GT
    1992 Toyota Celica All-trac Turbo

MeOw?! ^_^ ... ZoOm ... rAr! ... *eats a fish*

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Playfortoday
    That is a valid point, Sean. Sometimes a motor will not run if the brushes are not receiving constant full voltage. It is mind of like stopping a car that has starting problems. You leave that bitch running until it can get fixed. To determine this, test amperage on the power wire to the rear wiper motor. If it intermittently changes, it is your motor.
    Yup, But lets all hope for a CHEAP fix!
    BM Dubyou

Thread Information