CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone know what a 5th Gen GT-R is?

I have never heard of a GT-R until today. Anyone know what this is?

i think its the all wheel steering model over seas? correct me if im wrong..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

98 GST - Greddy Profec Type S, evo valve lash adjusters, FMIC, 660cc Injectors, EVO Big 16g Turbo, 6 BOLT SWAP, and 6 puck clutch

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mister2T
    i think its the all wheel steering model over seas? correct me if im wrong..
    It is another model the US didn't get. I think it is JDM only. It has AWS and a 3SGE. Other than that I think it is just like a GT-S. I may be mistaken though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

I am talking with a guy who is selling his GT-R in the US. Where these ever available in the US? Maybe it was an import?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco angryyoungnpoor is on a distinguished road

Images

Not available in the US. Would have to be an import. I'd check to make sure he's not b.s.ing though.
    1990 White GTS/W swap ///// 1992 RED GT

search online for a gtr celica and compare it to a gts. not engine wise though.

GT-R is a Jap only car. Same as the Gt-i 16 but with 4 wheel steering

92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE

LIKE A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER LIFE GOES FASTER NEAR THE END

its not the same as a gt-i. the gt-i has a 3s-fe with only 125 hp the gt-r has a 3s-ge with 165 hp the gear box is difrent gt-r has a s53 the sports box and the gt-i has a c52 a economic box the gt-r may or may not have and 4ws the gt-r had a option of Actively Controlled Suspension (ACS) i think that it

We got the GT-i 16 with the 2nd gen 3S-GE and S52 box just like in the rest of Europe and most of the world; yes, there was and option where you could get the GT-i with the 3S-FE but it was mostly 3S-G equipped.

AFAIK 4WS was only available on the GT-R and as you said, TEMS was available.

92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE

o ok well i neva new that

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

There was also a 4WS convertible as well. I have only seen pictures of one car like that. It was black and had a 4WS badge with the side decals.

It was legit too....factory looking stuff with the correct placement.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

4WS! Yay!
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

sounds like a sticker some ricer put on his celica... hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by 2003cbgts
    sounds like a sticker some ricer put on his celica... hahahaha
    +1 you can pick up said sticker at any Discount Auto parts world wide.

I have a 4ws 5th Gen (st183). In my opinion, the four wheel steering is a pain in the butt. It sounds good, but its not. You'd think it has a better turning circle, but it doesn't. The rear wheels turn the same direction as the front!

The Nissan fans weren't overly fond of Hicas(their brand of AWS) either. An example of "over-engineering" that never worked as well as anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthecaveman
    I have a 4ws 5th Gen (st183). In my opinion, the four wheel steering is a pain in the butt. It sounds good, but its not. You'd think it has a better turning circle, but it doesn't. The rear wheels turn the same direction as the front!
    only if you are going over 20 kph aneything under and thay shuld turn the opsit way if thay dont there is something wrong with your 4ws unit

Quote Originally Posted by iamthecaveman
    only if you are going over 20 kph aneything under and thay shuld turn the opsit way if thay dont there is something wrong with your 4ws unit

Quote Originally Posted by siyindicate
    That sounds about right.... am unfamiliar w/ Toyo's 4ws, but in general, yeah...slow speeds = opposite direction, higher speeds = same direction steering. .............I think...LOL

Yup, thats how it works... slow speeds opposite directions, high speed same direction

92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE

Must be somthing wrong then, at slow speed the wheels definatly go the same way! I had a look under the car and tried to work it all out, the rear wheel steering shaft (that runs the length of the car) is hooked to the steering box (makes sense), but i cannot see how it could reverse itself, unless there is a solinoid or simular inside the steering box that reverses the shaft at the computers command??? - ie; slow speeds. I'll have to look into it some more. On the dash I have two 4ws buttons, one for 'no-4wd in reverse' (not sure if thas works, havnt checked it out), the other is 'sport' & I have no idea what that does.
    At the moment its off the road waiting 3 weeks for an oxygen sensor to be sent from Japan - only 1 week to go, damn I miss driving my celi.

As a matter of fact there are some solenoids/relays inside the steering box that usually go leaving the 4WD system unuseable. The guys over at the yahoo list (ICOC, International Celica Owners Club) most of them in Ireland, knew how to fix it

92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

Damn did you guys see the sweet gt-4 on the japan site. Wow

Thread Information