CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nope wont work because....... the differential inside the mr2 box dosent have the splined collar that directs drive out the right hand side of the box!

The original aim was to use the gt4 box and transfer- come what may. However because of the space constraints in the vicnity of the block- is just a big no no.

For those wondering if you could transplant the diffs over- nope. I have a lexus RX300 diff here and the pitch of the teeth are different to the diff on the gt4 box, so a swap over of the mainshaft would be needed, but then the diff bearings are larger on the lexus and wont fit the gt4 case....looks like you may be able to machine the recess to fit them, but then the alltrac box wont fit the lexus transfer case- pinouts are way different, oil feed to the outer bearing in the wrong position.
    If you had unlimited machineshop access then it could be possible- otherwise for us backyard guys its not going to happen.

Ive tried mixing and matching the internals of the diffs over to see if its possible to get the right drive out arrangements along with the correct ring gear but theyre different diameters also, and different numbers of internal parts.
    Not an easy way around it really....

Thanks for the update.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Quote Originally Posted by FourVeeSix
    Nope wont work because....... the differential inside the mr2 box dosent have the splined collar that directs drive out the right hand side of the box!

The original aim was to use the gt4 box and transfer- come what may. However because of the space constraints in the vicnity of the block- is just a big no no.

For those wondering if you could transplant the diffs over- nope. I have a lexus RX300 diff here and the pitch of the teeth are different to the diff on the gt4 box, so a swap over of the mainshaft would be needed, but then the diff bearings are larger on the lexus and wont fit the gt4 case....looks like you may be able to machine the recess to fit them, but then the alltrac box wont fit the lexus transfer case- pinouts are way different, oil feed to the outer bearing in the wrong position.
    If you had unlimited machineshop access then it could be possible- otherwise for us backyard guys its not going to happen.

Ive tried mixing and matching the internals of the diffs over to see if its possible to get the right drive out arrangements along with the correct ring gear but theyre different diameters also, and different numbers of internal parts.
    Not an easy way around it really....

you say you are using the lexus transfer case, have you heard anything different about the Rav4 trans + transfer case?

also, i found that the E53 final drive from the older camry with the 3.625 final drive can be directly swapped with the final in both the E153 from the 02-05 Rav4 and the E153 from the 93+ MR2 turbo for much higher top speed capability.

Im not using the lexus transfer case, i just have the diff out of the auto box of one which (and im making a bit of an assumption here) is the same as in the Rav 4 transmission.
    Btw, the transmission im using is as far as i know an E250F (with the iron transfer) not an E153 which leads me to suspect that the final drive is the same basic setup as that lexus diff which if it is, wouldnt be interchangeable.
    Cant be 100% on that at this stage because i didnt strip the Rav tranny, but thats looking like it may be a possible job before too long as its developed a rattle when cold......oh well needs a light flywheel in it anyway.

Btw, after id ported the heads and remade the exhaust headers the Gtech indicates 225bhp at the flywheel up from 185 previously which makes me happier.

when you've had a chance to crack that thing open, please post what you find! would be nice to know we could use some existing parts for it, at least a 1.5way diff and maybe the 3.9 final from the Solara *since the input shaft is the same, if the internal is similar to the E153's final then we have a more suitable speed, at the same time that would also allow the use of the 3.625 final from the E53 from the Camry.*

Captain Lone Dragon Slayer... Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S's Avatar
    Carolina91GT-S has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Carolina91GT-S has donated to the forums!

Thread Revival.

From what I have read on other forums you can bolt the RAV4 transfer case right to the All trac Transmission and call it good, with the slight material removal as described in the first post to get it fit up next to the 3VZFE block. Oh and still dealing with the passenger side axle. I am hoping to try this in the future. Anyone know for sure?

read this...am I reading it right?
    http://www.scionlife.com/forums/show...=126176&page=4

~Chris

Most recent update 8/30/2013

"You'll never make it"

"Nonsense, you only say never because no one ever has."

Update to this thread.
    Car has finally passed from family ownership.
    Since being built its run pretty much faultlessly, only major bugbear being that of fuel consumption which was dire.

Anyway, its gone to a guy in France of all place, a collector it seems, he has im told around 20 cars and wanted the celica for his collection of one off's.
    Ill try and find out more soon and see if he can put some info up on here.

So the alltrac V6 projects finally completely outa my hands, feels a little strange to know ill not see it again in all likelihood, but it was a fun and challenging project, ultimately a satisfying one also.

Quote Originally Posted by 3SmeCaptain View Post
    some updated info.

i've been research on a project for a completely different chassis BUT... as the project uses a 2GRFE engine *V6 3.5L* and several parts that are related to this build, i figured i'd share this.

if you use the 2001-2005 Rav4 Sport 4WD transfer case, you can still have the all wheel drive from those wondering about a V6 in the altrac. you also wont need to worry about the transfer case's strength as it is *to my knowledge* the same thing as the ST205 transfer case but with a different outer shell that allows some headroom for V6 engines. you will need to go along with most of what this swap here is going for such as the passenger side drive axle modification. this will be needed yet again with the drive axle meant for the 4wd sport addition.

also, as for a even bigger option, you all can fit the 2GRFE 3.5L aswell. as long as it's a 2005-2007 model, if it's a 2008+ model, you'll have a 2GRFSE direct injection version which has a new special ECU coding and is nearly useless to tune while the 2005-2007 models use a difficult but still tunable Dual VVTi quad cam ECU and are port injection.

EDIT: Bah! i'm sorry i totally skipped right over the transfer case comparison and thought this was a FWD swap :brick:

I DO, however, have a suggestion about the gear ratios.

the 2001-2005 Rav5 manual trans used is a E153 and is EXTREMELY similar to the E153F that the GT4 uses... now that being said, why not use the E153 from the 93+ MR2 turbo? the bolt point of where the transfer case sits is just covered with a bolted on plate that can be easily removed. you can effectively increase top end upto 20-30mph faster which gear ratios that co-op with one another instead of having a bunch of short gears and one long one at the end. i only use those comparisons because they all are pretty much the same freakin' thing just with different gear ratios for the most part.

I haven't been able to test fit this my self but i bet ya' anything it would probably work!
    Ok... lots of information, but from what I gather above and from other websites. it would be possible to use a 3vzfe w/e154f and rav4 transfer case. does that information sound correct to anyone?
    the 3vzfe won't fit the alltrac e150 or gt4 e154f transfer cases without MAJOR modification to block/transfer case, because they hit. (transfer or block too big). The transfer case from the appropriate rav4 (01-05 5spd?) should be smaller (according to pictures) and should fit? help deciphering or verifying would be much appreciated.

From as far as it has been clinically tested and tried, the 2nd Generation RAV4 (01'-05') transmission and transfer case is the only combo that you can get to work properly. There are just too many variables and too many problems trying to make another hybrid work. Unless you want to go the route of an automatic AllTrac V6, you are stuck with the RAV4 setup.

Now, you have a couple more options available when you go the FWD route with the Celica. It's pretty impressive that an AWD Celica V6 exists and works.

Junior Member fibrewizard is on a distinguished road fibrewizard's Avatar

i am attempting a gt4 v6 turbo conversion, with a gt53r and a 3vzfe...........

i will make a thread when work starts but for now i just thought id let you all know......

it is definately worth it and with the little mods needed, will be cost effective too.......

will keep ou updated and look for the thread when i post it up
    australia's 1st v6 5th gen celica...........

Great information! Any chance the pictures can be updated?

What photos would you like Zerodrift?

Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work in a 4th gen?

There's one with a "seized motor and a solid body" for sale very near my parents' house right now for a pretty reasonable price.....I'm more than a little tempted.

Sorry, i didnt see this until today.

Ive see the other thread and i see youre thinking of the 1mz motor right?
    Nothing wrong with that but theres a better option- the 2gr-fe motor from the highlander .
    Capable of up to 350 bhp just with removal of the restrictive exhaust components, has vvti and lift iirc.

If that motor had been available when i did the swap on mine id have definitely gone that direction.

Thread Information