CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default how much power can an s53 trans hold

so currently i am running a jdm 3sgte with the stock jdm turbo, with an ACT clutch and pressure plate, 3 inch dp, 3 inch exhaust, 3 inch intake, BayareaAT front mount, but im thinking about purchasing ATS racing's CT27 combo kit anybody have any feedback with running that much power on a s53, right now mine holds perfectly fine but i just don't want to ginx it.thanks guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco angryyoungnpoor is on a distinguished road

Images

Noone knows for sure. You probably won't be making much more than 300 to the wheels, so the transmission should be fine as long as it starts out in decent condition.

No one knows for sure. Everything you hear is just from people saying to get an mr2 lsd. I'd say run it... if you have problems, then go after that. I'd probably still go after an s53 or s54 though.
    1990 White GTS/W swap ///// 1992 RED GT

Made It! burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd's Avatar
    burnyd has been to an annual Dragon Meet! burnyd has donated to the forums!

it really depends... When i met you and you said something amoung the lines of " I have 180 + miles on it." I couldnt believe it.

Honestly It depends on how you drive it. If you beat on it ad power shift it , well it breaks. I broke 3 in 6 months. and I really did not have much done to my celica when I had it.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vangls14
    just because you want to be "different". Why not just take that mentality a couple steps forward and get yourself a Pontiac Aztek?

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burnyd

Honestly It depends on how you drive it. If you beat on it ad power shift it , well it breaks. I broke 3 in 6 months. and I really did not have much done to my celica when I had it.
    It also depends on how often you and/or the previous owner bothered to take care of it as I'm coming to find out.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

It may do it, but i would bet money that it wouldn't last long at all, especially if you're ever going to be doing what you have in your sig.

S54 would probably be a good choice here, if you happen to break the S53.

Yeah I think that tranny should be fine for our applications. As far as capacity, who knows. As stated above it really depends how to drive it. With mine I usually like to shift like a granny. Once its in gear I just punch it. I'm pretty much running a hillbilly setup. (Oem 5s clutch with 3s flywheel and pressure plate)

Edit: Yeah mine has 130k + on it and no problems. I just put some fresh ATF in it when I swapped it.

Religion has many gods. For this tribe, this is their God.
    **New and improved wavy effect!!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean's Avatar
    Sean has donated to the forums! Sean helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Sean helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon Sean helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Its not the tranny, its the axles in my opinion that suck.

My tranny and OEM clutch disk held for 3 years, and went through I think two broken axles.

Turbo 1990 Celica T3/T4 57 trim
    2007 Toyota Tundra DBL SR5 5.7 TRD
    2010 Lexus ISF PPE Headers JOE Z Exhaust K40 Radar
    2007 Range Rover Sport HSE

CelicaTech Supporter TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light
    TheNefariousOne has donated to the forums!

Autozone axles lifetime warranty FTW!

Made It! burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Its not the tranny, its the axles in my opinion that suck.

My tranny and OEM clutch disk held for 3 years, and went through I think two broken axles.
    the entire setup is not made for a powerful engine. And its geared so as soon as you open the throttle it wants to shift. Its geared so low and it cant take high revs + being power shifted.

In all honesty if your auto crossing your car the e153 is geared really high. It would be worth the swap to go ahead and swap that trans. It will stay in gear alot longer... when I say stay in gear what I meen is when you go around a bend at 5500rpms let go of the gas hit a straight line and just floor it then powershift it and keep going.... your chances of doing that in a s series trans is slim to none.

With a ct27 just that little added hp your going to blow it up doing anything other than daily driving.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

just because you want to be "different". Why not just take that mentality a couple steps forward and get yourself a Pontiac Aztek?

CelicaTech Supporter TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light
    TheNefariousOne has donated to the forums!

Err, being power shifted isn't good for any transmission. Any way you put it, power shifting is going to decrease the life of the trans.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean's Avatar
    Sean has donated to the forums! Sean helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Sean helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon Sean helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

the entire setup is not made for a powerful engine. And its geared so as soon as you open the throttle it wants to shift. Its geared so low and it cant take high revs + being power shifted.

In all honesty if your auto crossing your car the e153 is geared really high. It would be worth the swap to go ahead and swap that trans. It will stay in gear alot longer... when I say stay in gear what I meen is when you go around a bend at 5500rpms let go of the gas hit a straight line and just floor it then powershift it and keep going.... your chances of doing that in a s series trans is slim to none.

With a ct27 just that little added hp your going to blow it up doing anything other than daily driving.

Again, I used it for 3 years. My S53 shifted like garbage, after my swap I switched to ATF and all was fine. The transmission worked just fine for me, through countless launches, 50k plus miles, etc.. The only reason why I swapped out for the E 153 was because my clutch went and I went ahead and did everything, I mean EVERYTHING related to the hydraulics and shifting.

I would be very tempted to try the S54 out. The only thing I miss iare those SHORT gear ratio's. The E-153 with sub 300hp power levels is terrible for the 1/4, stick it out in 3rd, or lug it up in 4th. The S seriers is a much better geared for a 1/4 pull.

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Now now.. lets not create drama in here by having some different opinions!!

Can we please talk about the most superior setup, MR2 LSD tranny and axels.. those things are bullet proof! Why do it any other way??

no, seriously.. S53 is a good tranny, I've blown some up, I'm still running them and I've never had axel problems. I guess it really comes down to ones own experience and condition of parts more than anything on how much abuse and 'stress' these old cars can take. But don't take my word for it.. you could pick up a crappy beaten S53 and blow it up in a month, then again you could get an LSD MR2 tranny and do the same.. best advice, go with what you can afford, if its reliable, good deal.. you just made a 15+ year old vehicle a lot faster and it works!! w00t

Images

I'm with Clay 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Again, I used it for 3 years. My S53 shifted like garbage, after my swap I switched to ATF and all was fine. The transmission worked just fine for me, through countless launches, 50k plus miles, etc.. The only reason why I swapped out for the E 153 was because my clutch went and I went ahead and did everything, I mean EVERYTHING related to the hydraulics and shifting.

I would be very tempted to try the S54 out. The only thing I miss iare those SHORT gear ratio's. The E-153 with sub 300hp power levels is terrible for the 1/4, stick it out in 3rd, or lug it up in 4th. The S seriers is a much better geared for a 1/4 pull.

Yes the s trans is alot better for drag but honestly it just cant handle the powershifting.... I dont know how your driving that car of yours but I ran mine pretty hard... yes lots of drag racing. But a e153 can take some beating. I havent blown one yet. But then again From all the wheel spin I would get from a s trans it was bad for the track... with my e153 I would just take off no wheel spin. So its kind of even... wheel spin / traction with lower gearing / taller gears.... oh yah and the e153 is so damn heavy for a fwd trans. All the weight is in the gearbox.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TheNefariousOne
    Err, being power shifted isn't good for any transmission. Any way you put it, power shifting is going to decrease the life of the trans.

powershifting will ruin just about any transmission.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagos

powershifting will ruin just about any transmission.

then your not driving it right.

I didnt think you really drag race your car though right?
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

then your not driving it right.

I didnt think you really drag race your car though right?
    ive never been to the track with it, but i definetly have my share of street racing and back road fun. i drive it hard, but i dont powershift.

powershifting is bad for any tranny because it creates a lot of stress and the synchros cant keep up. sooner or later, something will break... regardless of what trans it is.

ive had my s54 for over 2yrs with no problems.

dont get me wrong tho, the mr2 lsd trans IS the stronger tranny, but for a normal 3s swap with bolt ons, the s53/54 has worked just fine for a lot of people.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

what exactly is power shifting?

powershifing is when you keep your gas pedal at WOT as you slam through all the gears just taping the clutch for each shift.

Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

ahh ok i knew that

Quote Originally Posted by Lagos
    ive never been to the track with it, but i definetly have my share of street racing and back road fun. i drive it hard, but i dont powershift.

powershifting is bad for any tranny because it creates a lot of stress and the synchros cant keep up. sooner or later, something will break... regardless of what trans it is.

ive had my s54 for over 2yrs with no problems.

dont get me wrong tho, the mr2 lsd trans IS the stronger tranny, but for a normal 3s swap with bolt ons, the s53/54 has worked just fine for a lot of people.
    for the average guy swapping there car keeping a ct26 and minimal upgrades. I meen it all depends. I went through 2 trans over 6 months. I think it hard alot to do with me driving it. Taking it to the track every other weekend didnt really help ethier.

I have made about I would guess maybe 25 passes in the mr2.... And yes I powershift it. And its been working out great.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

sloceli

I'm putting down 202lbs of tq on my S54 almost the same as a S53 and its showing no signs of ware.

im putting 270ft lbs+ thru my tranny..i ass rape the car...+1 for the s54

click
    for the specs of my 5sfte

240tq at the wheels on mine. 2+yrs running strong on the s54.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

thanks for the input guys im probably just gonna go ahead and stay with the s53 trans until it blows up and maybe try to find an s54, what exactly is the s54 is it just the 6th gen 5sfe trans correct me if im wrong? not really too familiar with it but it sounds like it.

anyway i had my car dyno'd in at 206 wheel and 240 ft/.b torque at 13 psi with the stock tmic, and currently i just added bayareaAT's 2.5 fmic and running 14-15 psi daily driven now. as for the trans no signs of problems exepct the only thing i hear is a rumble from the casing itself, i know its coming from the trans because it only does it when im in gear driving, i dont know what it is but its been doing it for 2.5 years now, but i guess if its still running, i shouldn't be complaining. the only thing that it needs is a new slave cyl.

so as of right now s53 trans 4 t3h w1n!11!!! until it blows up

Thread Information