CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 5th Generation: How to remove center dash (instrument cluster / heater ac controls)

Iíve noticed several people having some problems getting heater ac controls out or removing center dash to get to instrument cluster or upper speedo cable. A few pictures might help out.

First remove the steering column cover. From BGB:

Then remove steering surround trim. I will point out four screws when I show left and right side of center dash surround.
    Tip: On the right side of the steering wheel under the ignition switch there is a little panel hiding two screws. Pry the panel off.

Remove two screws just right and left of steering column. Then pry and carefully remove the steering wheel surround (with ignition switch trim). You will have to tilt steering wheel down to get it out.

Remove the two or three screws above the instrument cluster using a stubby Phillips head screwdriver. I did not take a picture they are obvious.
    Tip: The screws are inserted on an angle with threads pointed toward front windshield. Tip the bottom of your screwdriver toward the driver seat.

On right side there are two screws holding the center dash trim. One screw is below and the other by ignition switch.

On left side there is only one screw (revealed by removing the steering wheel surround trim earlier). You then just pry on outer edge.

Here is the center dash trim panel hanging by the two heater ac control cables. All electrical connectors have been unplugged.
    Tip: Find the center ďbuttonĒ for electrical connections and push it in while pulling at same time. Donít force anything Iíll show you the other end of the cables in the next pics.

The end of the black cable goes to the air mix box below. The black cable controls flaps that open / close for hot and cold air. Get your head down by the gas pedal and look to the right.

Like it says in the pic remove the black cap and pull cable housing from clip.

The blue cable goes through a tube into the engine compartment. The blue cable attaches to the heater water bypass valve. Again there is a clip and peg. Pry the clip up from passenger side it is hinged on driver side. Pull cable off peg.

You can now remove the center dash.

Tips for reinstall:
    Look for the plastic tube behind the heater ac controller. In my car it was white. This tube is for the blue heater water bypass cable. Put your cable in there and it will be guided through the firewall.
    The air control cable needs to run along the center console. It is hard to coordinate both cables at once, but try a few times to make sure you are not forcing any hard bends that will bind the cable.

If you want to get the upper speedo cable it is behind the instrument cluster removed by four screws. Squeeze sides of cable end to remove from the bracket as shown in the excerpt from BGB:

Nice write up.

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

Sticky this shit.

I like it more than others.

Trying To Learn Something New Each Day caneman is on a distinguished road caneman's Avatar
    caneman has donated to the forums!

Images

Default Center Guage Cluster Trim Panel...

HINT:

I had a heck of a time removing the Center Guage Cluster Trim Panel; the black plastic piece that lies horizaontally behind the steering wheel along the bottom and in front of the guage cluster. Perhaps because I have faux CF trim covering my dash inserts, I couldn't get this panel out without flexing it dangerously and almost pulling the CF trim piece off behind the temp/AC contols. This may be unique to my car, but I doubt it.

Knowing that I was going to pull the guage cluster out again (My fuel and speedo meters needles aren't aligned properly and I want to revisit the lighting behind the guages; I can't see the reverse glow fuel and temp needles at night), I decided to make it easier for me to remove that PIA panel the next time without damaging it or my CF trim. I used a hack saw to carefully cut the trim panel in two by making a 90 degree cut through its center. The kerf caused by the thin hacksaw blade is narrow enough not to remove too much material and thereby make the split too obvious.

I can now easily remove and reinstall the panel by inserting the halves separately. The retaining screws hold the two pieces in alignment and due to the black color of the piece and the fact it's behind the steering wheel cowling, you can't even see the split in the trim when everything's back in place.
    Welcome to the asylum. The inmates are in charge here.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

can you post a picture of the cut?

Captain I wont let Luni drive my WRX on the Dragon Wicked Toys is on a distinguished road Wicked Toys's Avatar
    Wicked Toys has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Wicked Toys helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Nice, here is another link that was posted awhile ago.

http://www.radcastro.com/Projects/Pr...T2GT4/786.aspx

91 GT "8 Years of Enjoyment but Sold"
    86 GT (Gave to Cousin)
    91 Alltrac/GT-Four "For Sale"
    04 WRX "Stage 2 Daily Driver"

Thread Information