CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jacking points

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Default Jacking points

So, here's the deal.

The ONE bit of rust on my car is just past my passanger side wheel, below the door, basically where the front jacking out is. I went to change my oil the other night, and what do ya know, the jack went through the freak'n jacking point. It all crumbled, and now I have a nice little hole about 2 inches wide. I was wondering two things

1) Would it be possible to cut out all the rust, weld some mild steel in there to patch the hole, and another maybe sqare piece of stock to create another jacking point? Any ideas?

-and-

2) Sounds rather dumb, but can I just use the front crossmemebers as jacking points? Or any other points up front?

Thanks in advance for any imput

-Colin
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

The front crossmember is considered a jacking point. Although, I would suggest getting the side jacking point repaired so that you can use jacks later on in the future.

EDIT: I forgot to answer how to repair.

Cut out the remaining rust. Then, I would suggest welding in some thick steel there, and some reinforcement to be safe.

im glad i live in tucson, ive never seen rust on a car here
    i miss my celica
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TRDmkII

i never jack by the body on my own cars...i had an issue where it looked like it was giving way, and i've always used the crossmembers...differentials or other large chunks of metal as my jacking points.

about 5 inches inside of that crumbled jack point is the frame rail. An excellent and probably more stable jacking point

Thread Information