CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Oily Sensor Questions - ST185

Hi peeps,

Whilst recently dismantling my Intake System to clean out the oil sludge and put a in a PCV Oil Catch Can I found some sensors gunked up with oil.
    What I would like to know is does anybody know what they are, are my identifications correct?

It’s an ST185, JDM 1993 GT4….
    You can see from the modified picture I took, underneath the removed Intercooler, in the middle, a collection of ‘oily’ sensors….

Now then…
    Number 1. is my aftermarket SPA TEMP/BOOST gauge, the temp it reads is hooked up to measure OIL temp. At least this is what I think it is, it was fitted (not by me) some 6 years ago…
    Number 2. I’m probably correctly guessing is also OIL temp for the ECU I should imagine, am I correct..?
    Below Number 2. (not numbered) I think I remember seeing another sensor, although I’m not too sure, if you know what this one might be, please let me know….
    Numbers 3. & 4. Are they both Coolant temp sensors due to their location on the Coolant line?

As well as the above questions, I was slightly concerned with the sludge around them, is this normal on Celis, where does it come from, and should I investigate further maybe to make sure nothing is leaking…?
    I’m guessing again, if I’ve correctly identified the OIL temp sensor that the oil must come from there, and maybe cleaning, then watching it again to see where it leaks from….

This is the first time I’ve posted a pic, so if it doesn’t appear, please bear with me and refrain from replying to questions….

Ta muchly,
    Frank.
    Last edited by Serpico; 08-14-2006 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Incorrect Title
    1993, Black GT4 ST185, 249BHP
    Chipped, Inducted, Ecoteked, Dumped
    Tinted, Wheeled - Locked & Loaded

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

2. Factory Oil pressure sensor
    3. cold start switch
    4. Water Temp sensor for you ecu

That oil build up looks pretty normal. You may wanna check your valve cover gasket It may be leaking a lil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

Actually that oil build up look slike a good indication that your distributor is leaking oil. Problibly from the external o-ring and the internal seal. They leak internally the worst so you might want to remove the cap and see how much oil you have inside the dist.
    living to see 1.5 lateral G's in my autocross car

Hi,

Thanks both of you, very useful info, much appreciated.
    I will defo take a look inside that dizzy cap, and around the valve cover, thanks for your input people...

I love this forum...

Thanks

Frank.
    1993, Black GT4 ST185, 249BHP
    Chipped, Inducted, Ecoteked, Dumped
    Tinted, Wheeled - Locked & Loaded

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

hahaha, I guess my dizzy is also leaking, thats why it looked normal to me. I guess i should check it.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

Thread Information