CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1

    Exclamation How not to piss off the Mechanic...

    Everyone complains about the service they get at auto repair facilities. I just wanted to give a few tips on how to get a good job done...

    1. DON'T GIVE HIM YOUR DIAGNOSIS...

    The fact is, he probably sees more cars in a day than you've driven in your lifetime. By telling the mechanic what YOU think is wrong with the car is an insult to his intelligence. Basically, what you are saying is... "I don't care how much time you have spent working on cars, and I don't care how much money you've spent on fancy equipment... In my infinite wisdom, I have come to a conclusion..." This is especially aweful if come in with a diagnosis you got from Discount Auto Parts. Basically you are telling the tech that a guy at the parts store that makes $7/hr, with a $35 code reader knows more than him. Look, you wouldn't go to the doctor and say, "I have a pain in my side and I know I need to remove my appendix. So let's go ahead and schedule me for Thursday."

    2. UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY CAR HE IS WOKING ON.

    There are 35 cars on the lot. There is no reason why YOU are more important than the other 34 people there. Wait your turn. If the shop is that busy, it's probably because they are doing something right.

    3. DON'T TELL HIM YOUR LIFE STORY..

    Understand that in an auto repair shop, TIME IS MONEY. A tech is constantly working against the clock. In order for him to make money, he has to be able to get jobs done in a timely manner. Here's an example phone call of what NOT to do...

    ME: Transmission Physicians
    CUSTOMER: Hello?
    ME: UH... can I help you?
    CUSTOMER: Yeah, I have a transmission problem.
    ME: Okay....go ahead.
    CUSTOMER: Well, you see... I got up this morning to take the kids to school. So, you'd think they'd wake up on time, but they didn't so I was already behind. I finally got them dressed and got them in the car. I was driving them to school and we hit every red light along the way. The car seemed to be driving fine. But then Billy wanted me to stop in McDonalds for an Egg McMuffin.... Billy just loves McDonalds. So I stopped in and got him something to eat. Then we were going down the road when I noticed an accident. It was up there on the corner of Hillsborough and... Um... what's that other street. (Insert long pause here.) Darn, I just can't think of that street. Shoot... maybe it will come to me. Anyways, I got Billy to school and when I went to pull out of the parking lot, the car didn't want to back up. It would go forward just fine, but wouldn't go backwards. Some guy helped me push it back and I went to work. Later today, when I got off work, it backed up just fine. But an hour later, it didn't anymore...
    ME: *click*

    All this story is superflous bullshit. Any vehicle problem can be described in ONE sentence. A better way to describe the problem is...

    "Hello, I own a 98 Ford Taurus. It doesn't want to back up when hot."



    4. AUTO REPAIR TECHNICIANS ARE NOT PSYCHIC

    It is absolutely foolish to call a mechanic and say "My car won't start. What do you think that it needs." There are a million different reasons why a certain problem is occuring. A tech needs to take time and assess the problem. If a tech is willing to guess at your problem, then he isn't worth a shit. A REAL tech takes the time to carefully diagnose the problem through thorough testing.

    5. DON'T RUSH HIM

    It takes TIME to do things right. Calling a thousand times a day to get an "update" is doing nothing more than frustrating the tech. If your car was done, he'd call you. Trust me, the tech wants you to have your car back as much as you do. After all, he doesn't get paid until you pick up your car.

    6. MAINTAIN YOUR CAR.

    You are never going to find a tech that has sympathy for you, if you don't take care of your car. If a tech removes your valve cover and sees an inch of thick sludge, he knows you didn't maintain your car. At this point he really doesn't care to save you any money. You are a potential risk! You are a customer that is likely to cause problems and costly comebacks. If you don't care to take care of the car you paid for, you certainly aren't going to take care of the repair he just made. Your'e not going to worry about overheating the engine he just rebuilt for you. MAINTAIN YOUR CAR. You'll save money in the long run.

    7. FIND A GOOD TECH AND STICK WITH HIM.

    When you find a good tech, don't go searching around for the best deal all the time. You're going to find that you really piss a shop off. If you are a regular customer and get all your work done at the same place, the shop will recognize this. When there is a chance to save you money on a repair, the shop will be likely to do so because you are a loyal customer. If you're the kind that shops around to save $5, you will never establish a relationship with a shop and you will pay more in the long run.

    8. DON'T SHOW UP WITH YOUR OWN PARTS

    Nothing pisses off a shop more than this. Do you show up at a restaurant with your own steak? Let me let you in on a little secret... Shops mark up the parts that they sell to you. Surprised? I hope not. Who sells anything for the same price they bought it? No shop can make money on the labor alone. It can't be done. Sure, you pay a little more for the part. But... the tech is assuming the responsibility for that part. If HIS part happens to fail, he will take care of it. If YOUR part happens to fail, you will have to pay labor to install it again. Also, if your bring your own parts in, the shop is likely to raise the labor on you. One way or another, the shop is going to make the money they need on that repair. You're not going to save yourself anything. Not to mention the fact that 9 times out of 10, you're going to bring him the wrong part and cost him a ton of time. By the way, you should HOPE that your tech makes money. If he doesn't, he's not going to be there when you need a warranty repair!

    9. PUT GAS IN YOUR CAR

    Want to piss off a tech? Let him run out of gas while test driving your vehicle.

    10. EVER SINCE YOU...

    After a repair has been done and you experience another problem with your car, do not blame the tech. We've heard the dumbest shit you'd ever heard of. True story... We replaced a fuel pump in a dude's Caddilac. He called me a month later and told me he wrecked his car. I told him I was sorry. He then said it was my fault, because he tried to stop the car in time, but the fuel pump I installed just kept pumping and pumping and he couldn't stop. I just hung up the phone. We're sick and tired of hearing things like, "Ever since you fixed my transmission, my power windows stopped working."

    11. BUT IT WAS WORKING FINE YESTERDAY.

    ME: Sir, your transmission has failed. It needs to be rebuilt.
    CUSTOMER: No that can't be.
    ME: Why not?
    CUSTOMER: Because it was working just fine yesterday.

    People... This is stupid! Absurd! If we're going to use that line of logic. NOTHING would ever break. It worked fine yesterday, so it has to work fine today. Therefore it has to work fine tomorrow. Heck, using that logic, I'm never going to die. I was alive yesterday, so I must be alive today. That means I'll be alive tomorrow. It broke dude, get over it.

    12. DON'T SHOW UP WITH YOUR STUPID $15 'HAYNES' MANUAL

    Don't open your manual that you bought at the local parts store and try to show him your problem. It is insulting. It is especially insulting if you try to pull out your owner's manual.

    13. SO AND SO CAN DO IT CHEAPER.

    Fucking go there!

    14. DON'T ASK A TECH TO "RIG" SOMETHING UP.

    A worthwhile mechanic is insulted if asked to rig something up. Shadetree people rig stuff up. A real tech wants to do the correct repair so that he knows it's right and doesn't have to deal with it again. No real tech has the desire to do a half ass job.

    15. IF YOU GO ON A TEST DRIVE WITH THE TECH.... SHUT THE FUCK UP.

    I don't know how many times people have gotten in their car with me to go on a test drive and just talk their ass off. A tech goes on a test drive and is trying to concentrate on the problem. He's listening for noises. He's trying to get a feel for the car and a feel for the problem. One dumb woman brought me her van with like 5 kids in it that were screaming. I just got out of the van and walked away.

    16. DROP THE CAR OFF.

    Don't think that you're just going to roll up there, and a tech is going to drop everything he's doing to check your car out. Remember, there are other cars that were there first. The tech is on a schedule trying to get them done on time. Sometimes a diagnosis can take a long time. Would you want a tech to stop working on YOUR car to check out other ones.

    17. AND LAST... DON'T SMOKE IN MY OFFICE.

    This is self explanatory.

  2. #2

    /BANNED

    Ricksta has a spectacular aura about Ricksta has a spectacular aura about Ricksta's Avatar
    Ricksta has donated to the forums!

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    majority of the people here do thier own work and im too lazy to read all of that lol

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Azzazzyn
    the fact that you would nut while fucking another man's skull says a lot about you
    ~DISCLAIMER~
    Please be aware before you feed me, I may or may not be trolling you.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

  3. #3
    Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cranston, RI
    Posts
    2,623
    Images
    38

    Default

    thats y i work and maintain my own car!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksta
    majority of the people here do thier own work and im too lazy to read all of that lol
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    *pause for deep breath*
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL . Ok Ricksta..
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

  5. #5
    Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,503
    Images
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-spoon
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    *pause for deep breath*
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL . Ok Ricksta..
    HAHA
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

  6. #6

    Default

    haha very good post... true as hell though

  7. #7
    Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    3,582
    Images
    32

    Default

    Yeah...true...but you'll never take care of every soccer mom. Jumping out of the van isn't going to do anything but make the person NOT come back for business.

    If someone shows up with a Haynes manual. So what? Just pretend it isn't a big deal, and then give them your side.


    Learn how to be a businessperson. Hanging up on someone isn't professional at all.

    You'd be surprised how far patience can get you when working with customers. I build and repair computers for people as a side job, and I get people all the time who have a shit load of virus problems.

    Why?

    Dad/son/brother or whoever was looking at porn, shitty video game "cheat code" sites, downloading ".exe" software off of Kazaa or other PTP's, or a multitude of other sites/programs. They will tell you that no one does these things, but you can easily find them what they've done

    For example...

    A man brought me his laptop that was so loaded with spyware that he couldn't do much more than turn it on and log in. I asked him if he looked at pornographic material, downloaded certain types of programs or utilities, or other things. He had no virus software or spyware programs either.

    I ran a few tests and I found his "deleted" IE history.

    number one on the deleted list...

    Something like... "www.willyfisterbottom.com LIVE ASIAN NUDES XXX GANG BANG TITTIES"


    I read him that site and he fessed up. I told him if he is going to view these sites, to protect himself.


    and I don't mean with a condom...

  8. #8

    Default

    Ahahaha.. yea I never take my car to a shop.. why? All the shops I went to.. well I ended up teaching THEM about toyota's.. so don't act so high and mighty if you are a service tech because there are a lot of people out there that know MORE THAN YOU about their vehicle.. I don't take my car to shops mainly because of people like Your Snake..

    So what if a tech has worked on 5 different automobile brands.. what does that make them? An automotive WHORE.. they know nothing more about the vehicle than what they had to repair on it. But when you get people.. like most of us on ctech.. that know our celica's.. or toyotas in general really well.. and we pull into your shop and tell you what is wrong.. well.. believe us..

    Some people know what is wrong they just don't have the time to fix it themselves.

    Personally.. this goes with anyone in the automotive field it seems.. you are all out to make more fuckin money on a job by finding various other issues..

    I took my 3S to an engine machinist today.. said.. tank the block.. and do the head worked I asked.. well me just asking him to tank the block turned into "well I would hone those cylinders out if I was you to get the crosshatch back".. um.. there is crosshatch there.. see it? (i didn't say that)

    So what turned out to just be a simple cleaning of the block is now a hone job.. because in the machinists mind.. he would never ever reuse old rings because they may not seal properly.. which is just redonkerous.. they will reseal just as good as they were before I took the pistons out.

    Ok, so now I am getting the block cleaned.. honed.. and I need a piston ring set.. and I'm SURE when he checks the deck he'll probably find something wrong there.. so that'll turn into a resurface job.. or maybe I'll just say "Uh.. no thanks"...

    Cliffnotes:

    If come in to get a worn belt changed.. don't come out telling me I need a new engine because you found a rust spot on the oil pan.

  9. #9

    Default

    Personally I'm with Punisher on the first point (1. DON'T GIVE HIM YOUR DIAGNOSIS...). True a tech has and will see more cars in one day than would you in a week but that does not make him an SP on your particular car.
    My autotech is a great guy, probably has been a grease monkey since he was 10 but when it comes to Celicas I've had to teach him a thing or two (beginning with the location of the oil pressure valve and the fact that the AUX fan turns on only when engine temp goes past half way).

    So no, dont assume your tech knows every single detail about your car, he may know Toyotas but he may only see the only Celica that month when you show up at the shop

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    LIKE A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER LIFE GOES FASTER NEAR THE END

  10. #10
    Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco TEAMFaint is on a distinguished road TEAMFaint's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Ab
    Posts
    1,103
    Images
    6

    Default

    Not entirely true though, the mechanic I took my car to too change my clutch didnt do a 100% perfect job. He didnt lubricate the throw out bearing good enough and to this day I still get a ticking whenever the clutch is not engaged..I took it back once to get him to fix it. I got it back..fine for a week, then it started to tick again. Low and behold I go to take it back...and the shop was closed down!

    :thumbsdow
    current project; looking =(

  11. #11

    Default

    ha ha ha!! you people are funny, trying to flame me because you think I am the shop owner? This was taken off one of the sites I frequent and an exelent Transmition shop owner wrote that up.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2kSnakEater
    6. MAINTAIN YOUR CAR.

    You are never going to find a tech that has sympathy for you, if you don't take care of your car. If a tech removes your valve cover and sees an inch of thick sludge, he knows you didn't maintain your car. At this point he really doesn't care to save you any money. You are a potential risk! You are a customer that is likely to cause problems and costly comebacks. If you don't care to take care of the car you paid for, you certainly aren't going to take care of the repair he just made. Your'e not going to worry about overheating the engine he just rebuilt for you. MAINTAIN YOUR CAR. You'll save money in the long run.
    Oh yes.
    I am the same way.
    If the car I'm working on is beat to shit, with no care other than an oil change, I don't really care much for the customer. I still do what I have to do right, but I'm not that worried about the car.
    If it's well maintained, I try to help them out a bit if needed.

    You guys need to understand something.
    There are good and back techs.
    Good and bad shops.
    Reliable, trustworthy shops/techs, and shady ones.

    Just like anything else.

    Also, A Toyota [and a Celica AND a 3SGTE aren't THAT wierd a car...].
    A Toyota is a Toyota. Models from the same timeframes are designed similar, use similar wiring, electronics, sensors, ect, ect. Guess what. My Alltrac has the same type stuff as a Camry, Corolla, MR2 from the same period.
    So if you are familiar with Toyotas, just because you havn't seen a Celica ina while, or ever, doesn't mean you can't work on it.
    A good, experienced tech can work on almost anything, especially if he has manuals. He might not be able to diagnose some wierd problem, but a car that needs a tuneup is a car that needs a tunuep, be it a Toyota or a Dodge...

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  13. #13

    Default

    Snake: I didnt think you wrote it up, as a matter of fact I saw as someone else had written it. I was just giving my opinion on it.

    Jeremy: True, Celicas are not very different from most other Toyotas from the same period but here in Venezuela Celicas are top of the line models and since they are all imported from Japan they get some extras that you wont find in any localy assembled car, most things on a 3S-GE will vary from your run of the mill 4A, 7A or 5S engines you will find on all other cars

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    LIKE A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER LIFE GOES FASTER NEAR THE END

  14. #14
    Lifetime Member hobbie2k is on a distinguished road hobbie2k's Avatar
    hobbie2k has donated to the forums!

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    905
    Images
    124

    Default

    I think rule 1 and 4 are kinda contradictory. While I realize techs don't like it when you walk in and say "my friend told me my oil pressure light is just a sending unit. You don't have to check the pump." And that, "my car won't start, fix it," doesn't really help. But when you go further into description (as rule 4 suggests) you can't help but begin to make suggestions of what needs to be fixed (in violation of rule 1). Example, my Camry was leaking tranny fluid, so I tried to track the leak as close as possible. I appeared to be coming from the hose connected to the tranny cooler. And I told them so. It wasn't the hose, but rather a line that was cracked coming out of the hose. My diagnosis was wrong (although, he did say he thought it was the hose, too...till he pulled the hose off and saw the line), but by providing it, I gave the tech information which dramatically reduced the amount of time he had to spend searching for the problem.

    I suppose what it comes down to is having respect. I have to respect that a tech *should* have a lot more experience working on autos than I do, and that my backyard fiddlings do not mean I'm an expert. That's why I like to try and diagnose (or at least narrow down) the problem myself first, but I still ask, and respect, the tech's opinion on the matter. At the same time, I'd expect my tech to respect the fact that it is my car, I know how it is treated, how it is driven, and what sort of maintenance it has recieved, and that, if I come in with information regarding the problem, he should listen and take it seriously. After all, I'm a lot more likely to spend time researching the finer details of my car, than he is.
    Team 'learn about other cars and you may learn more about yours' member 002
    2015 Skoda Octavia Wagon
    1996 Nissan Pulsar SSS

  15. #15

    Default

    Being a technician myself.......... technician! ...not mechanic. mechanics are grease monkeys and are everywhere you go. Technicians actually diagnose things and fix them much like a doctor treats a patient. Being a tecnician I see a whole lot of truth in the first post.

    The main thing that annoys me though is the whole "my car is making a noise.....what is it?". But then they can't describe the noise, when it happens, from what area of the vehicle, while turning or going straight, do you have to be moving or in the process of stopping?......... and they say" I don't know".

    And all I have to say is...yes, don't give him your diagnosis....because really it's just your opininion untill prooved to be fact. And there is a fine line between diagnosing it for him and describing the problem sometimes. Many people don't know how to tell them apart.


    And #9....... I only partially agree with. If you know that there are problems with the fuel guage and your bringing it in to get fixed........ I'm going to be really mad when I drop the tank out and find its full of gas.

    #10 &#11 are my personal annoyances. Those excuses never seam too practical........ imagine........ You tell your contractor one month after completing your basment remodling: "Ever since you were here our roof leaks now. What did you mess up?!".

    I can definately see both sides of the synerio however. No I am not totally profitiant at every little aspect of every car repair of every car ever made. And I have worked with many Technicians that I would consider to be in the mechanic catagory. And we all have our bad days. But Punisher........ really if you had to teach your mechanic how to work on your car, then why didn't you just fix it yourself? Because if I had to deal with that kind of attitude that is about what I would say. I have built more race cars and recieved more trophies for racing than you have installed distrubutors. But your going to teach me how to work on your Toyota?????......... Try working on a Prosche, Vette, Firehawk, Skyline, Curren, Sylvia, ect, ect, ect,......... but then your Toyota is special?
    living to see 1.5 lateral G's in my autocross car
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  16. #16

    Default

    Ok let me break this down...

    I only take my car to 1 SHOP for ANY WORK, and its for exhaust or specialty stuff they can do. And guess what? The shop owner told me if i wanted a full exhaust headers back done he would tell me what i needed and i would just have to go out and buy it. (this way he would not have ot dig in his own supplies), i save him time from restocking his exhaust pipes and i get exactly what i want. Given they only do performence oriented things like turbo charging... But they still like it when someone comes in with a muffler wants it welded on its a done deal. They dont keep a million mufflers in stock, and it could not be the one you want so bring your own

    And yeah mechanics know a ton about cars, probable more then alot of car lovers know. Then again there are alot of stupid mechanics that know nothing except how to half ass something and get it done and get paid. I'm not saying a customer should act like he knows better then the mechanic... I'm saying the mechanic should apreciate the fact the customer is TRYING<------ TO HELP. I know more about my celica then i care to know. If someone keeps good care of there car you should think twice before treating him like a fool.


    And why in gods earth would you walk out of a van, hang up on a customer, or just act like a complete ass? You deal with the public, if you want money you will smile and pretend ot be happy. Word of mouth goes a LONG way, i started going to a particular shop because a friend recommended it. Same goes with window tinting etc. People will not go to a bad mechanic, one bad experince is enough to NEVER go there.

    And what gives a mechanic the right to up the price if a customer dosent maintain his car? So what you get a little more grease on your hands DEAL WITH IT.

    It is a mechanics right to refuse to "rig something up", dont act like a psycho because someone asked you to. Whoever wrote this up is a idiot and is horrible at running a shop.

    i would say 1/2 of all shop try to get more out of a job then what you asked for. Why? Becuase they want money and know once you star the project you wont want to get your car and go some place else.

  17. #17
    Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Richmond, B.C.
    Posts
    3,483
    Images
    52

    Default

    You'd be surprised -- a shop tried to turn my brake job into a boot repair, had separate labour charges for the brakes and the boot, when it was the same axle. I said no thanks, took my car over to my usual mechanic's, and he did the boot job in less time than the brake shop estimate, despite having to disassemble/reassemble the one set of brakes again.

    Of course, this is the same shop that took my appointment three days earlier, then took seven hours to call after I dropped the car off to tell me they didn't have the parts in stock for the brake job I booked. Then they tried to forget the free oil change if a job isn't completed on time.

    Need I mention I haven't gone back?

    Meanwhile, graduated to doing my own brake work. Same sort of thing drove me to doing my own suspension work, and that was due to a Toyota technician.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

  18. #18
    I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    7,496
    Images
    85

    Default

    Here's a story, just for shits and giggles I roll into a Toyota Dealership and tell them my ACIS (it is working however) isn't working the guy goes: "Ok I'll take a look." I pull up my Celi and his response: "Um... your car doesn't have ACIS" I respond: "Yeah it does" I prop up the hood and then he goes "I didn't know the 5SFE came as a 2 liter." I procceed to close the hood and drive away.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

  19. #19

    Exclamation

    dude,

    91 Toyota Celica GT W/ 3rd Gen 3SGE

    your shit has a swap, he looked up your vin and the Original motor didnt have a acis. Just because he works at toyota doesnt mean he knows everything about every single toyota ever made. I would of said the same thing. no top mount, no turbo, wtf?

    *edit*

    after thinking about it, I would of just told you that wasnt the original engine and if you didnt have the vin of the car that engine came from I couldnt help you. you did the right thing by getting in your car and leaving, you saved him from alot of head aches.
    Last edited by 2kSnakEater; 07-27-2006 at 09:41 PM.

  20. #20
    I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    7,496
    Images
    85

    Default

    Ummm... this is why I don't go to mechanics. I've got a friend who's a Tech and a Toyotahead. Plus I like working on the car myself, only way to learn in my mind.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

  21. #21

    Default

    Here is another one. This happened at the largest Toyota dealership/shop:

    Me: Good morning, hi, listen, the synchros on my gearbox are crunching and I just wanted to double check what lubricant it uses since the owners manual states AGL4 or 5
    Shop attendant: what year is your car?
    Me: 1992, 2.0 liter, manual tranny
    Attendant: Wait, let me check with one of the "technicians"
    Me: Ok
    Attendant over PA: Bub (or some other local name), please head down to the office
    Bub: (this guy looks like he just graduated high school) Morning sir
    Attendant: Bub, the custumer here needs to verify what type of lubricant the 1992 Celica manual transmission uses, is it.... what did you just say sir?
    Me: AGL 4 or AGL 5
    Bub: All Celicas use ATF
    Me: (WTF... this guys gotta been inhaling too many fumes) Its a manual tranny....
    Bub: Exactly sir, they use ATF
    Me: It cant use ATF, its no thick enough.
    Bub: According to Toyota thats what is recommended.
    Me: (Hmmmm....Toyota Greenland maybe) Ok, Thank you, bye

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    LIKE A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER LIFE GOES FASTER NEAR THE END

  22. #22
    serial biochemist mtp_69_i is on a distinguished road mtp_69_i's Avatar
    mtp_69_i has donated to the forums! mtp_69_i helped get Play's clutch job done.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    624
    Images
    65

    Default

    the S53 tranny was spec'd to use ATF. Look it up in the manual.
    =================================

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Playfortoday
    First race video that EVER put a smile on my fast. Go little VW.
    bedtime for bonzo.
    =================================


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  23. #23
    serial biochemist mtp_69_i is on a distinguished road mtp_69_i's Avatar
    mtp_69_i has donated to the forums! mtp_69_i helped get Play's clutch job done.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    624
    Images
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    Ahahaha.. yea I never take my car to a shop.. why? All the shops I went to.. well I ended up teaching THEM about toyota's.. so don't act so high and mighty if you are a service tech because there are a lot of people out there that know MORE THAN YOU about their vehicle.. I don't take my car to shops mainly because of people like Your Snake..

    So what if a tech has worked on 5 different automobile brands.. what does that make them? An automotive WHORE.. they know nothing more about the vehicle than what they had to repair on it. But when you get people.. like most of us on ctech.. that know our celica's.. or toyotas in general really well.. and we pull into your shop and tell you what is wrong.. well.. believe us..

    Some people know what is wrong they just don't have the time to fix it themselves.

    Personally.. this goes with anyone in the automotive field it seems.. you are all out to make more fuckin money on a job by finding various other issues..

    I took my 3S to an engine machinist today.. said.. tank the block.. and do the head worked I asked.. well me just asking him to tank the block turned into "well I would hone those cylinders out if I was you to get the crosshatch back".. um.. there is crosshatch there.. see it? (i didn't say that)

    So what turned out to just be a simple cleaning of the block is now a hone job.. because in the machinists mind.. he would never ever reuse old rings because they may not seal properly.. which is just redonkerous.. they will reseal just as good as they were before I took the pistons out.

    Ok, so now I am getting the block cleaned.. honed.. and I need a piston ring set.. and I'm SURE when he checks the deck he'll probably find something wrong there.. so that'll turn into a resurface job.. or maybe I'll just say "Uh.. no thanks"...

    Cliffnotes:

    If come in to get a worn belt changed.. don't come out telling me I need a new engine because you found a rust spot on the oil pan.
    QFT.

    Mechanics, techs, whatever. 9 times out of 10 they will tell you some other shit needs fixing and this is what it'll cost.

    Furthermore, like others have said, it makes perfect sense to tell the person what you think the issue is. You drive the car, you identified some kind of issue with the car, tell them what you think is going on.

    Mechanics etc often think twice about messing with prices or other components that don't need to be messed with when they think you know a bit about your car.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2kSnakEater
    ha ha ha!! you people are funny, trying to flame me because you think I am the shop owner? This was taken off one of the sites I frequent and an exelent Transmition shop owner wrote that up.
    can you say asshurt?
    =================================

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Playfortoday
    First race video that EVER put a smile on my fast. Go little VW.
    bedtime for bonzo.
    =================================


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtp_69_i
    the S53 tranny was spec'd to use ATF. Look it up in the manual.

    alot of the newer manual trannys use ATF, the T56 uses atf. wtf do you mean asshurt?

  25. #25
    serial biochemist mtp_69_i is on a distinguished road mtp_69_i's Avatar
    mtp_69_i has donated to the forums! mtp_69_i helped get Play's clutch job done.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    624
    Images
    65

    Default

    you posted some shit you copied and pasted from another website and people told you what they thought about it. Then you post up some crap about others flaming you...

    There was no flaming, just discussion. Chillax Max
    =================================

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Playfortoday
    First race video that EVER put a smile on my fast. Go little VW.
    bedtime for bonzo.
    =================================


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Need mechanic in new york
    By IDLE13 in forum Custom Engineering/Design/Fabrication
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 07:09 AM
  2. I am a master mechanic!!!
    By CelicaGT4 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 04:12 AM
  3. How to become a certified mechanic?
    By Lagos in forum Custom Engineering/Design/Fabrication
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Top Member List Chat Forum Search Contact Top