CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Thumbs down MR2 vs Celica swap

Well.. as I am just over 2000 miles on my new engine, I'm starting to slowly give it full throttle and higher rpm's. So.. for maybe the 4th and 5th time, the car saw WOT to 6K. I haven't gone above 6K yet, still waiting till I hit the 3000 mile mark for that.

Anyways.. my car is set to stock 10 psi. I'm still on my crush bent 2.5" exhaust with a 60-1 CT26 and front mount intercooler.

Coming home from the 1/4 mile strip in Gainesville I told my friend in his MR2 next to me that if he would like to go from a 3rd gear stab I would open it up. His MR2 is at 15psi with full 3" exhaust on a stock CT26.

Suprisingly even with 5psi less and an extra 200lb person in my car vs his MR2, I pulled a car on him by the end of 3rd gear and kept pulling by the time I got into 4th gear. He was running higher in the RPM's than I was as well which also suprises me with how well my car ran against his.

I'm going to chalk this up to the extra power I'm probably getting from the upgraded CT26 and all the weight reduction I have done to the car in the past few months. Not bad, not bad at all. I just would hate to see what I would do to him pulling up to even 6400rpms. But that has to happen at a later date once I have more miles on the car.

NOTE* One other thing, I still have TVIS enabled on my car since i'm on stock 10psi. Another restriction that the MR2 doesn't have. The MR2 is running on a ProfecB at 15psi with TVIS disabled.
    Last edited by Trance4c; 12-20-2004 at 11:18 PM.

Nice dude.

I think you mean the T-VSV (the stock boost controller) not TVIS.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luni
    Nice dude.

I think you mean the T-VSV (the stock boost controller) not TVIS.
    no.. I mean TVIS. lol. TVIS is the plate at the end of the intake before the head which opens up the other 4 (8 runners total) runners after 4400rpms to let the engine breath better. I know what I'm talking about luni foo hehe

Since I'm running stock boost, TVSV is enabled as well.. but thats an
    assumption that I would expect people to understand when I say I'm running stock boost. As with I would expect it to be an understood assumption that when running above stock boost like this MR2 was, TVSV is disabled with the profec installed.

Yeah, the MR2 also probably has tvsv disabled too, just gets annoying over stock boost.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Senior GT2 Member Aust162 is on a distinguished road Aust162's Avatar
    Aust162 has donated to the forums!

Clayton, does your car reach 10psi stock? thats pretty high. i thought most factory gt4's and gt2 swaps only pull 7,8psi. mine only goes to that, sometimes 9psi on a really cold night. atm i'm running on 5,6psi but thats a different story
    1985 ST162 Celica Sx - 3SGTE SW20 swap.
    Dynoed: 219fwhp @ 13psi (17/3/06)w/wolf3d + 50trim ct26
    *back on the rd 8/2/05
    2001 Yamaha yzf-r6.

with a fmic my car gets 10psi at stock boost. the car will do 7-11psi without any boost controller, depending on supporting mods (fmic, exhaust).

clayton, its really nice to see some updates on your car. ive always tried to learn form all the car issues youve had. hows the spool up time on a 60-1 trim? ive talked to a few people that said the turbo lag was horrible.

is there really a benefit of disabling the tvis? i always thought it was there to give you better low end TQ and was more of a benefit then a drawback.

post some vids of the car in action!
    Last edited by Lagos; 12-06-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Ok Clayton, just making sure.

Its not that you wouldnt know what you were saying, its that it is SUCH an easy and common mistake that even I have found myself confusing the 2 when talking about my stock boost system.

This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aust162
    Clayton, does your car reach 10psi stock? thats pretty high. i thought most factory gt4's and gt2 swaps only pull 7,8psi. mine only goes to that, sometimes 9psi on a really cold night. atm i'm running on 5,6psi but thats a different story
    Mine will hit 10psi easy on stock controls, with the 3" inlet off the AFM and a downpipe with 2.5" exhaust.. its not like its restricted even compared to stock terms for breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagos
    with a fmic my car gets 10psi at stock boost. the car will do 7-11psi without any boost controller, depending on supporting mods (fmic, exhaust).

clayton, its really nice to see some updates on your car. ive always tried to learn form all the car issues youve had. hows the spool up time on a 60-1 trim? ive talked to a few people that said the turbo lag was horrible.

is there really a benefit of disabling the tvis? i always thought it was there to give you better low end TQ and was more of a benefit then a drawback.

post some vids of the car in action!
    I can actually get it to spool by 3000.. but power really isn't kicking in till 3500. Considering my stock CT26 would hit around 3400, I don't consider an extra 100rpm's an excessive amount of lag. With TVIS though enabled right now, the turbo doesn't really want to pull until it opens up at 4400.. but once I have tvis disabled its a different story.

On the topic of TVIS, its good for a stock engine.. but not good for even a stock engine on turned up boost. Since its a restrictor plate that opens up to let the engine breath more, its a restriction if your turning up the boost and are trying to force the engine to breath more. Trust me, TVIS is bad news for anything more than stock.

Ok Clayton, just making sure.

Its not that you wouldnt know what you were saying, its that it is SUCH an easy and common mistake that even I have found myself confusing the 2 when talking about my stock boost system.
    haha.. I know man, just bustin your balls

YangS

Hey;
    So how do you guys disable the TVIS?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by YangS
    Hey;
    So how do you guys disable the TVIS?
    cap it off at the wastegate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance4c
    cap it off at the wastegate.
    "TVIS" clay, not TVSV. to disable tvis you need to gut the tvis plate.
    Lor

DEAD 93 GT *just got a 94 5sfe 80k miles

92 Celica ST
    91 Celica AllTrac SOLD

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gt_turbo
    "TVIS" clay, not TVSV. to disable tvis you need to gut the tvis plate.
    my bad.. ya, I was thinking TVSV.

Anyways.. you don't have to gut the TVIS plate though, if you just pull and plug the vac hose to the actuator on the TVIS plate, then the actuator stays open and all 8 runners are open.

Trust me, TVIS is bad news for anything more than stock.
    TVIS is an on going debate. and this statement is also not 100% true as some mr2's have reached 400+hp with tvis enabled. I believe diasabling or enabling tvis is personal preference
    Lor

92 Celica ST
    91 Celica AllTrac SOLD

mikeswickednick

to be quite honest ive never herd of somone disabling tvis on their turbo... unless tvis has something to do with the fcd

its probably ment to help daily off boost driving.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Yeah, there are lots of opinions on the merits of keeping or ditching the TVIS system. Another option is to change the activation point from the stock ~4200rpm. Some people lower it to 3-3500rpm and enjoy the results. Some people get rid of it because of bad experiences with a pin coming out and destroying the engine. I still have mine in place.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

There is an article pertaining to disabling TVIS, on the MR2 dyno graphs with it and without it and on the test car which was under 300 hp there was such a marginal loss/gain that it isnt worth disabling.

Toyota engineers put it there for a reason. Unless youre going BIG you need to have it. Thats my take on it.
    Last edited by Luni; 12-07-2004 at 12:17 AM.

You mean TVIS, Luniman? ROTFL, those two terms are so hard to keep apart, noone can do it
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

I fixed my post.

SEE CLAYTON SEE WHAT I MEAN?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gt_turbo
    TVIS is an on going debate. and this statement is also not 100% true as some mr2's have reached 400+hp with tvis enabled. I believe diasabling or enabling tvis is personal preference
    I can't imagine anyone in their right mind leaving TVIS enabled or even there with an engine that is capable of breathing like that. Granted you will hit max hp/tq higher in the RPM's once TVIS is engaged which basically makes it a null statement. But when you take into account power through out the powerband, it would be a seriously mistake to leave TVIS.. but, I won't try to prove it to you.

I fixed my post.

SEE CLAYTON SEE WHAT I MEAN?
    hahaha.

mikeswickednick

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind leaving TVIS enabled or even there with an engine that is capable of breathing like that. Granted you will hit max hp/tq higher in the RPM's once TVIS is engaged which basically makes it a null statement. But when you take into account power through out the powerband, it would be a seriously mistake to leave TVIS.. but, I won't try to prove it to you.

From what i understand no one on the mr2 boards disable tvis

i was just stating the facts. i don't care whether someone does or doesn't disable tvis. like i said its personal perfernce. for me i also have it disabled. i have custom made plates to replace the tvis plate. haven't gotten around to finishing my swap up yet so i dunno how its gonna run yet. maybe once i get done with finals i can finally return to where i left off.
    Lor

92 Celica ST
    91 Celica AllTrac SOLD

A fair number do disable it, especially since the ones running big power often have a good aftermarket intake manifold, like one of ChrisKs, so of course, no TVIS there. It's more helpful for driving in town than it is for making power. If you're on the dragstrip, you're launching at high RPM/boost, so having TVIS try to gain you some low end torque is kind of pointless. When you're on the street though, just getting groceries or what-not, you are starting from scratch, so TVIS is quite helpful. So IMO, whether you get rid of it or not depends entirely on what your goals are. If I go for big power, it's history (along with the stock manifold). It's really identical in principal to why Toyota made the 5SFE the way they did, the more restricted turbulent head gives it the torque that makes blipping around in traffic smoother, but it sure isn't going to give you the kind of flow you want for lots of high RPM power. So I would compare the stock manifold with TVIS enabled to the FE head. It is irreplacable for what it was intended, but once you get outside of that role, it holds you back.
    –verb (used with object)

Images

I have to protest the fact that this thread was moved.. it was not a drag race, this was a road race.

A drag race is defined as, "A race between two cars to determine which can accelerate faster from a standstill." As stated in the thread, we were NOT at a stand still.. we where already at a roll.

This is blasphemy I tell you!!!!

You foo when I designed the racing forums drag racing means speed in a straignt line. In the racing world road racing is like on a course like laguna seca, etc. f00

Thread Information