CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CelicaGTS94
    I would like to now a little more detail on the coolant passage problem.. and matchin a head gasket with it.. I have a 2ng gen 3sgte, and might consider puttin that head on my 5sfe block.... but I have to find a harness first I have a jdm ecu.... :Ban1:
    OK, the problem is that the position where the coolant enters the head is slightly different between the 3SGE and 5SFE, so using a 3SGE head gasket blocks the coolant passages from the block. The 5SFE head gasket blocks the coolant passages in the head, but with some minor die-grinder work that can be fixed to allow sufficient coolant flow. The part marked in red in the picture below is the part that needs to be cut out.

Also, I don't know if there are any differences between a 3SGE and 3SGTE head.........

Quote Originally Posted by AstroVannin
    to use the GE head on a 5SFE why is it nessesary ot change the ECU and wiring harness.... are the sensors that different?
    As stated above, the distributor is different, FE uses MAP and GE uses MAF. Also, the injectors are different (at least on the FE I was using), FE doesn't use TVIS (so the FE ECU can't regulate it), etc, etc, etc....

While there *might* be a way to make it work, switching the ECU and wiring harness is MUCH less problematic....

Quote Originally Posted by RockStarZeus
    Sorry about the lack of response guys, I've been away for a while. As far as reliability goes, I haven't put a whole lot of miles on it yet due to the head issue, only about 1200 miles or so. Haven't had a single problem with it however other than I was a dumbass and didn't deal with the head while I had the motor apart. Drags will be opening back up here in the next month or so, and when they do I will be sure to take it out and get some times for you guys. I can say though that it leaves my friend's 94 Prelude in the dust! (and yes, he does know how to drive it)

PS-I will try to get some video of it within the next couple of days and post it on YouTube or something!
    H22a Prelude?

Hrmmm..... Sounds quicker than i thought it would be.

Yeah really, if its the H22a Prelude, we know its getting more than 220BHP/160BTQ.

Which would be what, 160 WHP and 120-130 WTQ?
    Though Im willing to bet hes got the 2.3L F23(?) which is 160BHP, or even the F22 which is only 130BHP.

But if its the H22a that he's running, oh fuck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 JDM Mr2 Turbo
    13.4@102 MPH 1.9 60'
    Berk Exhaust - MBC (16lbs)

Today my partern in crime and I were talking, we need to get more bottom end out of our 3sgte engine which is n/a and so I told him about this site. So it looks like we would need a 5sfe block or maybe 5sge block, 5sfe head gasket, alittle modification done on the 3sgte water port like in the picture. how much do you need to take out?
    Skip 253-569-5601

I would really like to see the progress on this as well as some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Thumbs up for this project!
    1990 Celica GT-S (Daily)
    1995 SC400
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rockstarzeus: I live in the Portland area, What's Your Msn User name, I would love to talk to you about doing this setup, I have an 86 GTS, It's not running right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Stick
    Yeah really, if its the H22a Prelude, we know its getting more than 220BHP/160BTQ.

Which would be what, 160 WHP and 120-130 WTQ?
    Though Im willing to bet hes got the 2.3L F23(?) which is 160BHP, or even the F22 which is only 130BHP.

But if its the H22a that he's running, oh fuck!
    i dont think he can hang with a H22 190hp vtec prelude or the H23 160hp non-vtec. maybe the F22 135hp.?
    Last edited by wizzards581; 09-13-2007 at 05:02 AM.

the stock 3sge puts out about 150hp (1989-1993) 185hp (1994-1999) 200hp (1999+)
    (these numbers are from a questionable source, let me know if they are incorrect, dont flame plz)

and a 5sge hybrid would basically be a stroked 3sge so I wouldnt be surprised if he has some decent numbers.

btw the stock 5sfe puts out around 130hp

Well, since this seems to be the object of much debate, I called my friend (not so much anymore) up and we identified his engine as the 2.3L. Granted, his engine has 150k+ on it, but I'm kinda curious why wizzards581 doesn't think this setup can even compete with the F22???

My curb weight is listed at 2804, the 94 prelude at 2866. Toyota lists my engine output at 135hp for a BONE stock 3SGE, i would guess at least 150-160 for the 5SGE, considering the 10% bump in displacement as well as the increased compression. Then you add in the CAI and the exhaust work....

I think it's perfectly resonable to expect it to run with a 160hp 2.3L prelude, maybe even make a vtec slightly nervous....

But maybe that's just because I love my car and have definately become a celica fan because of it.

Now that I'm done ranting, here's an update:

I pulled the 5S-GE to do some more things to it, mainly rebuilding the head w/ some bigger cams to take advantage of the larger displacement, and am currently running a spare JDM 3SGE I bought so I can still go to work while I mess w/ the engine.

- The head is going to get completely reworked, incl new cams
    - Removing the butterfly valves for the TVIS, since it only seems to be hurting the larger engine's breathing.
    - Am probably going to be going to a 5S block without a balance shaft assembly, just to be sure I don't have engine speed problems.

I will post back on here when I have more news.

Were you running it on the stock 3sge computer? I wonder since the 5s is .2 liters bigger, it would need more fuel. Although our computers run the motors pretty rich.

Unarmed: stock usdm 3sge puts out 135hp.

RockstarZeus: then i believe its the h23 rated 160hp. im suprise that u beat him. whats his mods?? i use my bros stock tC and give those prelude 2-3 car lengths, even the prelude had bolt ons.

im a good driver myself, using a bone stock tC and smoke stock integra GSRs all day... yes unbelieveable but its the truth. i want to see vids when your done...

His Prelude is basically stock. Just tires and rims and blingy-crap.

Sure would like some new info on your project. Did you ever get all the work done?

Sorry, no new news at this point, been working WAY too many hours lately fixing other people's cars to have any time to work on my own........May not even get to finish the project since a friend wants to buy the car from me and I've been eyeballing a '79 Celica Sunchaser that my boss is willing to sell me......Will update again when I know anything for sure.

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I like the Sunchaser. A rarer model for sure.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Ooooh, good gawd, don't pass that sunchaser up at any cost, rare is an understatement. I hate to see you lose the project but if it does happen be sure to let your friend know about us and that we would like him join us and keep us updated. Thanks for all the work you have put into it so far, you answered many questions and theories about that hybrid for many people.

Well, the sunchaser deal is a go for sure! Me and Tiny (my boss) worked out the details and I'm gonna end up payin him $800 for the car, WAY less than I was expecting. It's in really great shape overall. He got the car beack when he was still in the towing buisiness, towed the car off the freeway and the people didnt have any money so they just gave him the title. He drove it for a while and then the original motor died. He had a new motor put in and after that he decided to have it painted as well. He worked out a deal with a guy to do the body work and paint it, but the guy got part of the way through it and flaked out.....basically all the body work has been done and the car was primered, plus all of the doorjambs and hard-to-reach places have already been painted, so it just needs the main coat. Also needs the fold-down part in the back replaced, was referred by a site for sunchasers to a shop that makes the folding part for $250. The interior is also in pretty rough shape, but my grandfather has an 81 GT hatch that he'll sell me for $500 that has an immaculate interior, most of which will be interchangable.

At this point, I'm still waitin on my friend to come up with the money for my GTS, so it will continue to be the commuter car until I get the Sunchaser back together, and if he doesn't buy it by then, then it'll go back to becoming the project and I'll take my second stab at the 5S/GE....

Will try to post pics of the Sunchaser tomorrow in case anyone's interested.

And the number on the tag in the glovebox from Griffith (conversion company) says C102 (if I remember right). Anyone know if this rpoduction number is as low as I think it is?

Wow, you suck. Great find, I would pull $800 out of my arse if I came across a steal like that. Keep us posted with pics for sure. You might be our first sunchaser member.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStarZeus
    Well, since this seems to be the object of much debate, I called my friend (not so much anymore) up and we identified his engine as the 2.3L. Granted, his engine has 150k+ on it, but I'm kinda curious why wizzards581 doesn't think this setup can even compete with the F22???

My curb weight is listed at 2804, the 94 prelude at 2866. Toyota lists my engine output at 135hp for a BONE stock 3SGE, i would guess at least 150-160 for the 5SGE, considering the 10% bump in displacement as well as the increased compression. Then you add in the CAI and the exhaust work....

I think it's perfectly resonable to expect it to run with a 160hp 2.3L prelude, maybe even make a vtec slightly nervous....

But maybe that's just because I love my car and have definately become a celica fan because of it.
    no, you wont hang with an h22/23 lude with that setup. i had a JDM type-s h22a (220bhp) that i wrecked recently. i ran a 13.2 (with time slip to prove it) on it, all motor, with just a swap into an accord + intake/header/2.5" exhaust.

the turbo all-tracs might be able to hang with my old h22 accord, but not your hybrid.

that being said, please comment on my thread that im about to start asking for advice/suggestions on an engine swap for my 88 gt convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzards581
    Unarmed: stock usdm 3sge puts out 135hp.

RockstarZeus: then i believe its the h23 rated 160hp. im suprise that u beat him. whats his mods?? i use my bros stock tC and give those prelude 2-3 car lengths, even the prelude had bolt ons.

im a good driver myself, using a bone stock tC and smoke stock integra GSRs all day... yes unbelieveable but its the truth. i want to see vids when your done...
    i call bullshit on this one. ive raced many bone stock (and bolt-on modded) tC's with my 94 integra LS (lightly modded as well) and easily pulled them by a car or slightly more.

ther is no way your 135hp 3sge beat a b18c1 (170bhp+vtec).

btw im more of a honda guy, just now getting my pants wet with toyotas.

OK, so here's a couple of pics of the Sunchaser. It's REALLY dirty but you can at least get an idea of how straight the body is. Lemme know what you think!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Looks pretty clean. Floor cancer free?

edit: oh yeah, make a new thread about this, this one is for the 3s/5s hybrid
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

Fantastic.
    Last edited by grayscale; 12-08-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Thread Information