CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Great thread, even better work. Nice job.
    ^
    88 ST165...All-Trac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

89GTS...Ol' Faithful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

86GTS...my 3rd Celica

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Play, +1 for stickey
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

Fo sho....good job man.

What I want to know is it faster than that chevy in your pics?

But besides that you have givin me an idea for an engine build. i want to get an 4th gen buti didnt know what to do as far as motor . great post man

Quote Originally Posted by importedhp
    What I want to know is it faster than that chevy in your pics?
    No, the Chevy is quite a bit faster......

what head gasket did you use ???

The FE head gasket. The cooling passage holes on the GE gasket don't match the 5S block.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT's Avatar

Id love to see some numbers on this setup, great work. are you planning to get it to a dyno or just gonna enjoy it? I kicked the idea to try the 5sgte around a lot a wile ago but glad to see people geting hybrids done and on the boards. How much different are the other 3sge heads than the one you used? Did you have to deal with a knock sensor or any other variables wile mixing the older and newer motors?

Thanks. I'd love to get it dyno'd so i can see for sure whether what i did was effective 'cause at this point I'm just going by seat-of-pants. lol. It's currently parked due to some head issues, but i might have it back on the road in the next couple of weeks. I've got a new head for it but I'm tryin to find a set of GTE cams to see if that'll help it breathe a little better. The wifey made me buy a reliable vehicle so i get to crazy with the Celi now....

Oh, and I'm not sure about the 3SGE head differences...but everything on the motors swapped no problem because they are the same casting, just the internals and cooling passages are different...

What did you do with the 5S head?

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

very nice work! I would imagine though the GE cams from a 2nd gen 3S-GE would be your best bet.

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Here is a link on some information for it: click here

2. gen 3SGE (165ps):
    In: 244deg, 8.5mm lift (timing 7/57)
    Ex: 244deg, 8.5mm lift (timing 57/7)

2. gen 3SGTE (225ps):
    In: 236deg, 8.2mm lift (timing 8/48)
    Ex: 236deg, 8.2mm lift (timing 56/0)

3. gen 3SGE A/T (170ps):
    In: 240deg, 8.7mm lift (timing 7/53)
    Ex: 240deg, 8.2mm lift (timing 53/7)

3.gen 3SGE M/T (180ps):
    In: 252deg, 9.8mm lift (timing 7/65)
    Ex: 240deg, 8.2mm lift (timing 53/7)

3.gen 3SGTE (245ps):
    In: 240deg, 8.7mm lift (timing 7/53)
    Ex: 236deg, 8.2mm lift (timing 50/6)

As you can see though the intake cam on the 3rd gen 3SGE Manual Transmission cam duration was the longest, I was wrong its not the 2nd gen.

Any ideas where I might be able to get a set of those cams? Should I just go to a junkyard?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT's Avatar

If im thinking rite USA never saw the 3rd gen 3sgte? and im not posetive on the 2nd gen since 4th and 5th gens came with them.

CelicaTech Supporter TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light
    TheNefariousOne has donated to the forums!

The US never saw the 3rd gen 3sgte, and the 2nd gen 3s was in the 5th gens. 4th gens had the 1st gen 3s.

Hey it's been a few months since the original posts, Just curious about any follow ups since this is a sticky now. Hows reliability/drive ability. any numbers on it? butt dyno impressions?

I would like to now a little more detail on the coolant passage problem.. and matchin a head gasket with it.. I have a 2ng gen 3sgte, and might consider puttin that head on my 5sfe block.... but I have to find a harness first I have a jdm ecu.... :Ban1:

Junior Member AstroVannin is on a distinguished road

to use the GE head on a 5SFE why is it nessesary ot change the ECU and wiring harness.... are the sensors that different?

Junior Member AstroVannin is on a distinguished road

to use the GE head on a 5SFE why is it nessesary ot change the ECU and wiring harness.... are the sensors that different?

well distributor is defenitly different for sure!! 5sfe has a MAP sensor not a MAF like the s series!!

well distributor is defenitly different for sure!! 5sfe has a MAP sensor not a MAF like the g series!!

Sorry about the lack of response guys, I've been away for a while. As far as reliability goes, I haven't put a whole lot of miles on it yet due to the head issue, only about 1200 miles or so. Haven't had a single problem with it however other than I was a dumbass and didn't deal with the head while I had the motor apart. Drags will be opening back up here in the next month or so, and when they do I will be sure to take it out and get some times for you guys. I can say though that it leaves my friend's 94 Prelude in the dust! (and yes, he does know how to drive it)

PS-I will try to get some video of it within the next couple of days and post it on YouTube or something!

Thread Information