CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Fog Light Rewire - Alternate Method (time saver)

After reading some other write up on re-wiring your foglight relay, I decided to do it a different way. It much easier and works better than running a 5' wire under the carpet and wedging it into a fuse, seriously, there are simple wire splice connectors.

Anyway I wanted mine to be able to come on whenever I want as long as the ignition is on, so first off I looked for a hot wire only when the ignition is on. It just so happened that this wire is hot (has power) only when ignition is on, so it will also be fused.

You will cut the smaller of the two white wires with red tracers, this wire should only be hot when the low beams are on, that is what tells the relay to turn on.

I chose to use a sodder/shrink wrap connecter to cover up the other end that you cut to keep it from shorting out. Then tapped the wire that was connected to the relay into the hot wire.

Wala, fog lights when I want, and if I forget to turn them off, they will still be off if the ignition isn't on! Pics to come soon.
    85 Runner lifted, locked, and rolled...
    91 GT DD

I hate MR2's -------Just because they're a bitch to work on!

Relay pulled, cut the small red/white wire

This is the wire I found to be hot with ignition on

Here's what it looks like with the wire coming from the relay to the hot wire.

All done... :thefinger
    91 GT DD

much cleaner and more professional.
    Good job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just did it his way, Much simpler and Less time to do the job, great idea I love my fog lights now.

I haven't done this yet. My fog lights don't work at all. will this fix it? Is there a common problem with the fogs not working?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I kindof doubt the problem is there....first lets check if you have power and ground at the fog light itself....then I would move on to the switch...then somewhere in the wiring (and the relay area)
    91 GT DD

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Your fog fuse is probably blown (:

yep, probably fuse or relay.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Checked the bulbs?
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Member -==L=a=N=c=E==- is on a distinguished road -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

Queensland Australia! Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi

can anyone get me specific pictures of where the fuse is, what rating it is as well?
    also, can someone take a picture of the connector pattern for the relay, and position as well?

Im trying to figure out where they live in my car. I want to get the foglights installed.
    BTW, what does this re-wiring do anyways?
    Pure ST185 GT-Four goodness, non swapper

Is that your celica in your sig?

I personally don't see any fog lights there, did it have them then you just took the lights out?

Anyone know if they weren't installed from the factory how easy it is to install them, I don't know if toyota already had all the wiring in there and just had the connectors taped up.

BTW, this re-wiring allows you to turn the fog lights on any time that the ignition is on, stock you can only have them on with the low beams on!
    91 GT DD

Member -==L=a=N=c=E==- is on a distinguished road -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

Queensland Australia! Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi

Yes that is my celica in my sig.
    Yes there isn't any fog lights currently installed.

All the factory wiring is there ready to use though. I just want to know which fuse and relay im missing. I already ahve the factory foglight switch ready to use as well.
    Pure ST185 GT-Four goodness, non swapper

tweekgt4

thanks!

my fogs now work. i had some weird wiring issue where if i turned the fogs on with the car off and headlamp on, the fogs would work. when the car is on with headlamps on, and you turn the fogs on the headlamps would turn off but the fogs stay on...

:shrug: whatevers... it works!

pic of what the fogs look like in my RC bumper before i did the rewire.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/download.php?id=83

Hey, thanks for this guide. I've been wanting to do this for months, but haven't found any good pictures, and this was it. Gives me something to do this week while looking for a job.

Yup, n/p

Anyone want to buy my celica? I need the funds to pay for college...

91 142k 5sfe....replaced damn near everything....$3800
    91 GT DD

i would... but i dropped out of college, and need funds to pay for loans.
    Got my own money pit with the 93 with 169k 5sfe. <w00t>

This process is so much better than the super involved standard write up I have seen on the web since 1999. Way to improve a process that was already accepted as the norm for so long. I have put off doing mine until I found a better way. This'll do. I will post back the result.

I suggest that anyone that read this and found it useful should give this man some positive reputation points. Actually, everyone should do that for every article on here.

Props.
    2007 Mazda RX-8 GT
    1992 Toyota Celica All-trac Turbo

MeOw?! ^_^ ... ZoOm ... rAr! ... *eats a fish*

the second photo isn't showing up for me-- does anyone else have the same problem?

, Stock-ish (
    ) | NYC, NY, USA

I checked via my edit function on his post and the picture and/or code for the picture is not even there. I think he may have skipped it on accident.
    2007 Mazda RX-8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Playfortoday
    I checked via my edit function on his post and the picture and/or code for the picture is not even there. I think he may have skipped it on accident.

Uhh... yah it was, imageshack just deleted the image....its back up now, hosted on a different site..
    91 GT DD

Quote Originally Posted by klif01
    Uhh... yah it was, imageshack just deleted the image....its back up now, hosted on a different site..
    ah, THANKS A TON. this is great... will try this on my Celi when it's lighter outside...

, Stock-ish (
    ) | NYC, NY, USA

n00b jsiu is on a distinguished road jsiu's Avatar

Images

Great write-up and much cleaner than the old fog-light rewire that used to be available. I'll have to try this some time.
    Jason
    1993 Toyota Celica GT-S

Quote Originally Posted by jsiu
    Great write-up and much cleaner than the old fog-light rewire that used to be available. I'll have to try this some time.
    I want a daily driver. Please sell you pretty GT-S to me now. Just kidding, you are too far away. She is a beaty though.
    2007 Mazda RX-8 GT

I'm still selling mine....spread the word, I need money for college.
    91 GT DD

Quote Originally Posted by klif01
    I'm still selling mine....spread the word, I need money for college.
    I checked you r garage and there were no pics. Is there a thread in B&S for it?
    2007 Mazda RX-8 GT

Thread Information