CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default [TECH] BHP, WHP, Gross vs Net.

Some definitions:

Indicated Horsepower = Calculated power shown here

Gross vs. Net Ratings
    "There are two forms of brake torque and brake horsepower, gross and net. The gross figures represent what the engine can do under ideal conditions with "laboratory" intake and exhaust manifolding, and without the load of any auxiliary equipment except the fuel, oil, and water pumps. They show the absolute maximum output at the flywheel.

The net torque and power, on the other hand, represent what the engine can do as it's installed in a vehicle, with such auxiliary items as the air cleaner, alternator, fan and standard intake and exhaust systems in place." (1)

Brake Horsepower (BHP) = Horsepower measured at the flywheel. Net or Gross.
    Wheel Horsepower (WHP) = Horsepower measured at the drive wheels.

Source

(1) Page 25, Auto Math Handbook
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean's Avatar
    Sean has donated to the forums! Sean helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Sean helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon Sean helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Hopefully this will clear up some misconceptions for the future. Perhaps a post explaining different dynamometers would also be fitting within this thread?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Turbo 1990 Celica T3/T4 57 trim
    2007 Toyota Tundra DBL SR5 5.7 TRD
    2010 Lexus ISF PPE Headers JOE Z Exhaust K40 Radar
    2007 Range Rover Sport HSE

I haven't looked into it, but yes, that should be on here as well I would imagine.
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

Thread Information