CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default poor dyno results...

got my car up on the dyno at a car show saturday... they did a 4th gear pull and it produced only 176hp and 199 tq. the graph was very up and downny (yea i made up that word). very bad ignishion problem with it. made peak power at 6200rpm. doesnt the book say max hp at 7000? that would make my 14.7 run at the track a bit more believeable if it was cuz i was running crappy... anyone have a good spark plug or wire set that they suggest? going to get new cap, rotor,wires,plugs asap...

what mods do you have done? is it a swap or a 5sfTe? how much boost were you running?
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco GRUMPY514 Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. GRUMPY514's Avatar
    GRUMPY514 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

contrary to what people say

Nologys are the shite

Nology wires <140$
    Nology Coil <40$
    OEM Cap/Rotor <15-25$
    Denso/NGK Iridiums/Copper <10-20$

^^^^
    Have this on mine and i must say it idle'd smoother. Ran better. Everything was improved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Asinine
    The homoerotic undertone in this thread is so thick you could cut it with a butt plug.

Originally Posted by Kaiser
    I'd sell my grandmother into slavery for a night with her.......

topless is more fun! roman is on a distinguished road roman's Avatar

The type of dyno used would make a difference too. Mustang dynos usually post lower numbers than DynoJet, for instance.

yea, i forgot... fresh 3sgte swap, clutch, flywheel, turboheader, downpipe, 3"exhaust, intake, ground system. it was on a dynojet i think... the paper is in my car which is at my shop... i was looking at nology wires... think that is what ill go with. are they a universal type kit or can i buy one for a 3sgte?

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco angryyoungnpoor is on a distinguished road

Images

They ahve them for 3sgte's. Look on ebay. OEM wires work just fine and are cheaper. What boost were you running? The only odd thing is that the HP was a good 20 below torque. But.. that's pretty normal to be around 200 with what you have.

Again.. what boost? And.. what fuel?
    1990 White GTS/W swap ///// 1992 RED GT

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Haha, I remember when Punisher tried to argue with me about what a 3sgte swap puts down to the ground. This just proves my point.

In almost every case, OEM > aftermarket, remember that.
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedImage92
    got my car up on the dyno at a car show saturday... they did a 4th gear pull and it produced only 176hp and 199 tq. the graph was very up and downny (yea i made up that word). very bad ignishion problem with it. made peak power at 6200rpm. doesnt the book say max hp at 7000? that would make my 14.7 run at the track a bit more believeable if it was cuz i was running crappy... anyone have a good spark plug or wire set that they suggest? going to get new cap, rotor,wires,plugs asap...

peak power is actually 6200 as pronounced by toyota, and Id say youre about 10-20 hp down what you should.

Im running 17 psi right now on a JSPEC engine and turbo like yours, on OEM cap and rotor and wires, with my spark plugs gapped to .28 (ngk coppers), and I have no ignition stutter or any other problems associated to ignition. OEM is sufficient for what you will be done. Nology Hotwires have to be installed properly. Generally you have to make another ground for them to not have a bunch of ignition noise in your stereo, but Ive seen them dyno 10 more HP across the band if installed correctly.

But for what you want, OEM will be adequate. Also do yourself a favor and check for boost leaks. On a 2nd gen 3SGTE a boost leak will manifest itself by bucking and stuttering, and it can/feel like an ignition issue.
    Last edited by Luni; 03-20-2006 at 07:53 PM.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

what boost are you running? do u still have the top mount IC? do u have an alltrac hood?
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

176HP sounds about right. My buddy has an alltrac with exhaust, intake, filter, TRD wires, RC AFM and RC ECU - and he put down around 190 HP.
    Scott
    90 Alltrac +
    96 Celica +
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by scothaniel
    176HP sounds about right. My buddy has an alltrac with exhaust, intake, filter, TRD wires, RC AFM and RC ECU - and he put down around 190 HP.
    Swap should show more whp if all else is equal due to drivetrain loss. Swaps are also often JDM, which come with a bit more power out of the box than alltracs. But.. generalizations of course, just pointing out how hard it is to compare that way
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

jdm motor, 8.5psi, 93 oct pump gas... guess i will be ordering wires and cap and everything els today... i would think that HP and TQ would be about the same. i lost the graph so i cant post it... ill get a new one in a few weeks tho...

yesterday i noticed my capisitor beeping, then i looked at my volt meter and it was bouncing all around... i wonder if my alternator is goin bad as well... it was droping to like 10 and jumping to like 16... it was really wierd... first time i noticed that... it was b 4 i turned on the radio

jdm motor, 8.5psi, 93 oct pump gas... guess i will be ordering wires and cap and everything els today... i would think that HP and TQ would be about the same. i lost the graph so i cant post it... ill get a new one in a few weeks tho...

yesterday i noticed my capisitor beeping, then i looked at my volt meter and it was bouncing all around... i wonder if my alternator is goin bad as well... it was droping to like 10 and jumping to like 16... it was really wierd... first time i noticed that... it was b 4 i turned on the radio

well, i dont know why your power is jumping around or what issues you have going on with the car, but yor numbers are totally great for a car thats only running 8psi ! fix whatever issues you have, buy a boost controller and turn the bost up to at least 12psi and watch the car come alive!
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

well... today i noticed that the bottom o2 sensor came unpluged... not sure what exactly it does tho, must tell if the cat is working. which its not since i dont have one. what plugs do you guys use and where did u get them?

when o2 sensors are unplugged or go bad it may affect your 'long term' fuel trims. But i have no idea if it affects WOT fueling...

anyway. what are you upset about ...@ 8psi that's running really healthy...

ngk copper or iridium plugs (40$)
    ngk wires (30$)
    cap (15$)
    rotor (5$)
    and a manual boost controller (25$) and you should be happy with the added power

that and reset the ECU after you do all that so it can relearn and start logging some new trims.
    2005 C200 Kompressor sport
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster
    On the way:HKS FCD's (12psi), Remus testpipe (2ndary cat), vortech 2:1 FMU

my blog:

Yeah, O2 doesnt affect WOT performance. Just closed loop operation which is fuel trims. With stock like exhausts and downpipes, your torque will exceed your HP. With intake, and a full exhaust/downpipe system your HP SHOULD exceed your torque but not by much.

This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Like Luni said, the O2 won't affect the fueling unless you're under cruise conditions so that's not your problem. Are you sure the ignition is actually misfiring under load? I'd put it on an oscilliscope and look at your firing lines before jumping to conclusions. If it was misfiring bad enough to account for a 20whp drop at high speed you should have heard popping or had black smoke out the exhaust from the unburnt fuel.

By a "fresh" swap do you mean the motor was torn down and rebuilt? Was the head done as well? If it's a new build your rings might not be seated correctly. If you have access to compressed air I'd recommend a leakdown test to determine ring and valve seal.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

and definelty buy a boost controller and turn it up. there is on reason to only run 8psi. at that boost level, the car is a total dog. 12-13ish is the sweet spot where the car starts to come to life.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

I thought the lack of an o2 signal the ECU will throw an error code and run in limp mode. By "bottom o2 sensor", do you mean that you have more then one o2 sensor?
    Scott
    90 Alltrac +
    96 Celica +
    Michigan

well... today i noticed that the bottom o2 sensor came unpluged... not sure what exactly it does tho, must tell if the cat is working. which its not since i dont have one. what plugs do you guys use and where did u get them?
    from what i've heard, that "bottom o2 sensor" is not an o2 sensor at all. it just triggers some egt light thats in the jdm dash if things get too hot. i doubt that'd affect things at all. 170whp seems about right for 8-9psi. take that thing to like 14psi and you should be like 195+whp.

edit: oh yeah, question.. what ecu are you using? jdm or usdm?

Weird, I've had JDM 2nd gen and 3rd gen 3SGTE's and they didnt have any sensors in the exhaust, other then the o2 sensor. The 3rd gen 3SGE did have an EGT looking probe though. Learned something new.
    Scott
    90 Alltrac +
    96 Celica +
    Michigan

Borinals Gen3 swap has an EGT thing in the exhaust post cat. I believe Joel (1sloceli) said his gen2 swap has one too. I dont know if mine does, cause I didnt get the turbo elbow and downpipe from the GT4 my engine came out of.

Senior GT2 Member Aust162 is on a distinguished road Aust162's Avatar
    Aust162 has donated to the forums!

Twistedimage92 : check my sig. my swap made 177hp at 10psi. so your result is good!

Do what the others said though. replace the tune-up parts and by a boost controller
    1985 ST162 Celica Sx - 3SGTE SW20 swap.
    Dynoed: 219fwhp @ 13psi (17/3/06)w/wolf3d + 50trim ct26
    *back on the rd 8/2/05
    2001 Yamaha yzf-r6.

i really thought this motor would have more power. by fresh, i just swaped it out and compleated it like a month a go. i havent put in any mods yet... going to be gettin the dual stage boost controller. would you guys say that the ct26 is sufficient for 12-15psi, or am i going to have to look for a better, ballbearing one? the bottom o2 didnt change anything. what hp will i run at like 13psi? i am defanately going to read all of the afm removal project link when i get time, that thing is a beater! might just look into selling my 2nd gen and getting a 3rd gen...

No reason to swap a good running 2nd gen motor with a 3rd gen yet, you've got a long way to go before the 3rd gen would give you any added benifit.

For the capabilities of the CT26, take a look at this page:
    http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records/dyno2.htm

CT26 @ 17w/ water injection and w/a IC - 266 WHP
    CT26 @ 14 w/ GCC, VPC, and G-Force ECU - 243 WHP
    CT26 @ 14 psi w/ exhaust and boost controller - 208 WHP
    Scott
    90 Alltrac +
    96 Celica +
    Michigan

Thread Information