CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Question about battery relocation

In most tutorials I read on battery relocation it shows the negative cable going to the body of the vehicle. When I talked to my brother he said the battery needs to be grounded to the alternator. Am I missing something or is my brother an idiot?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This car has been sold once, then repossessed then stolen by the same guy 3 times. Yet I still have it
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are multiple ground points. One goes to the transmission, a smaller to chassy, etc. I know grounding kits have even more, stock has two or three.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

ground travles through metal. if you get a good ground to the chassis in the back of the car, it will travel through the whole car, as long as there is a ground wire up front that goes from the car to the engine your fine. I would redo a couple ground wires get some 4 gauge and some 8 gauge take a 4 gauge from the battery in the back to the car to a good solid bolt nearby you want this wire to be as short as possible dont have it 4 foot long. then take a piece of 4 gauge up in the engine bay from the car to the tranny then a piece of 8 gauge from the tranny to the head. that should be all you need.

Your brother's an idiot.

Also make sure that you install a 150amp fuse right at the battery terminal so that if you have a short, you don't light your car on fire.

-Doc
    -Dr Tweak, Toyota engine swap wiring expert extraordinaire

The battery to body and trans to body alone are not fine. I had a 1.5v drop form battery to my distro block upfront until I also ran an additional ground from the neg terminal on the batt to the engine. Gain of 1.5v from that! The unibody in the 5th gen celica does not provide a good ground main ground.
    2007 Mazda RX-8 GT
    1992 Toyota Celica All-trac Turbo

MeOw?! ^_^ ... ZoOm ... rAr! ... *eats a fish*

Thread Information