CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

/BANNED

Ricksta has a spectacular aura about Ricksta has a spectacular aura about Ricksta's Avatar
    Ricksta has donated to the forums!

Default cut the boot?!?!

well ive had everything to put my new suspension together for awhile now just not the time to do it...i know im gonna be doin it soon and i know i saw someone say cut the boot in half if your lowering and im like..........what boot?!?!?! can anyone tell me what the dealio is?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Azzazzyn
    the fact that you would nut while fucking another man's skull says a lot about you
    ~DISCLAIMER~
    Please be aware before you feed me, I may or may not be trolling you.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

He's talking about the bumpstop
    Last edited by schmooot; 12-28-2005 at 07:23 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/BANNED

Ricksta has a spectacular aura about Ricksta has a spectacular aura about Ricksta's Avatar

yea it was this one guy who kept on sayin something about it.....i think i'll do a search on it

the fact that you would nut while fucking another man's skull says a lot about you
    ~DISCLAIMER~

Its the bumpstop on each strut that you must cut and install. But only if you are using lowering springs. Do not forget to install them or your strut will be damaged on hard bumps because there is no bumpstop to cushion the strut when it almost fully compresses under load.

/BANNED

this is what i found..i already emailed him about it so i'll know whats up soon

Quote Originally Posted by BEAMS
    Many people here use or have use the kybs shocks/struts with lowering springs, they are ok if you dont lower over 1.5". But lowering them will reduce how long your new kyb shocks will last since they are built for oem springs and not really to be mated with lowering springs like say koni yellows which are good for lowering but cost around 600 for just the shocks.

You can buy a full set of kyb shocks for about 200 with shipping or close to that. And a set of lowering springs for like 150-200.
    I got the kyb boots and cut the top off them a little becasue they come with a bumpstop on them. I would change everythng except the struts in the front if they are not rusted. All the rubber pieces shouldbe pretty worn out so change all of them.

and yes fronts are cardridge only.

~DISCLAIMER~

You have to cut the bumpstop otherwise it will bust quickly if you have lowering springs, the dust boot will be fine.

BTW, you have to cut off an inch

92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE

LIKE A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER LIFE GOES FASTER NEAR THE END

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco TEAMFaint is on a distinguished road TEAMFaint's Avatar

Images

hmm I got some KYB GR2 gas struts + KYB Boots that I will be gettin installed in hopefully March. Does anyone have a pic of what piece I need to cut off each boot? Would be very helpful.
    current project; looking =(

What springs are you going to use?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco TEAMFaint is on a distinguished road TEAMFaint's Avatar

Images

I'm going to be using Megan Racing Lowering Springs (1.75")

/BANNED

yea i would like to see a pic or diagram also...it would be very useful...ive got the kyb struts and eibach pro kit...lowers one inch

~DISCLAIMER~

Images

Anyone have any info for me? Do I need to cut the boot when lowering 1.75". If so where do I cut em?

Check the manual for your lowering springs, it will tell you how much to cut off your bumptops. For the kyb bumpstops, you will have to cut from the bottom because the boot is connected to it from the top. Cut the smaller side off for stock bumpstops, thats about it, its really simple.

The eibach springs should also come with their own bumpstops and i would just use those.

/BANNED

i didnt get any bumpstops with my eibaches..just the springs itself

~DISCLAIMER~

Images

This issue really has me confused. BEAMS can you provide a picture showing what exactly I need to cut? My Megan springs do not come with a manual, I am confused muchly.

/BANNED

Beams Where Are You?!?!?!?!

~DISCLAIMER~

I will see if i can find an old pic. I would cut off 1/4" off the bumpstop for a 1.75" drop. If the car is still bouncy then cut more off.

All you do is measure 1/4" and cut it off around where i have the red line on the bumpstop.

I think the Eibach sportline kit comes with bumpstops and maybe not the pro kit since it only gives a 1" lowering. I know ive seen eibachs comes with them, maybe it was for a Honda.
    Last edited by BEAMS; 12-30-2005 at 01:37 AM.

/BANNED

my eibachs drop it one inch...so if im goin less then a quarter what measurement should i use?

~DISCLAIMER~

275x12 @ 2.5-3-3-7 1:1 BeeHay is on a distinguished road BeeHay's Avatar
    BeeHay has donated to the forums!

here is a pic of when i changed mine...the bumpstop is both the blue and green arrows...the green one is the one i reused, the blue one is a new one.

i didn't know but when you buy new dust covers, it has a new bumpstop in the box...

275x12 @ 2.5-3-3-7 1:1 BeeHay is on a distinguished road BeeHay's Avatar
    BeeHay has donated to the forums!

but i forgot to replace the front ones.

:x

Thread Information