CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Schmleff's 2110cc Aircraft Engine (W/Picts)

This engine was built to be as reliable as possible. Its hard to park on a cloud you know. The engine will cruise at about 3400rpm for normal flight and can wind to over 4000rpm for short periods. This engine should make my plane cruise at about 175mph and top out at about 185mph straight and level. I am building it to race in a 500 mile race from Dayton OH to Oshkosh WI and will also be used for general travel.

Some background first.
    A VW engine in stock form is about 1600ccs. It has a bore of 88mm and a stroke of 69mm. There is a huge aftermarket for VW stuff and you can build an engine up to 2500ccs based off of the original design.

Since the cylinders are removable themselves, increasing the bore up to 94mm is possible by machining the mating holes in the case and heads to fit. I opted for 90.5mm cylinder since they use thick sidewalls and resist warping the better.

Strokes up to 86mm will fit in the case. You will usually have to do some clearancing of the case, rods, cam or pistons. I went with an 82mm stroke, since I wanted a special aircraft crank that was only made in 82mm.

I ended up having to grind a little bit off of the rods, cam and case to keep things from hitting each other.

I chose Scat forged rods with ARP head bolts and a Scat forged crank. The cam is an Engle 100, with 1.25:1 rockers giving me about .475 of lift at the valve. The duration is 234@.050. The cam is the limiting factor for high end power and was chosen to bring the torque curve down. The rods are as short as possible to also bring the powerband down.

The heads have 40mm intake valves and 35.5mm exhaust valves and are CNC ported. The valve and head mods are not realized until the engine is wound over about 3500rpm.

Total build cost with the $800 crank is about $2600. A normal crank would bring that down to about $2100.

Dyno Workup:

Rods and Crank

Engine Case Half

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forged Rods and Pistons

Cylinders (Jugs in the VW world)

Clearancing Case for Big Crank

Close up Jug

Crank and Rods in Case W/ Clearance Grind on Cam

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Checking Deck Height
    it had .010 to start off. I added a .090 shim under the jug to get the CR down to 8.1:1

Case ready to be joined

Schmear on case mating surface - red stuff is Redline lifter lube

Case Mated

Head studs installed

Jeff

One head and two jugs on

All four jugs with heads

4-1 exhaust

That is where she sits as of last night. I still need to add the oil pump, prop hub, and set the crank endplay. Updates to come.
    Jeff

very very cool!
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

I really, really, really like your workspace.

The motor looks great. Can't wait to see it on the plane

Originally Posted by Colossus20v
    ^The years of ninja training helped...

That is my electronics shop for my business. The carpet is called "Shazam"
    Jeff

CelicaTech Supporter TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light
    TheNefariousOne has donated to the forums!

Jesus man, how can that little amount of hp get that thing up to 175 mph?!

casue it weighs 525 pounds
    Jeff

CelicaTech Supporter TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light TheNefariousOne is a glorious beacon of light
    TheNefariousOne has donated to the forums!

Ahh ok that would explain it. Are planes direct drive?

this one is direct drive. you can see the prop hub in the last picture.
    Jeff

CelicaTech Supporter 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST's Avatar
    90CelicaST has donated to the forums! 90CelicaST helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. 90CelicaST helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Schmleff, did you ever finish this?

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I don't like people.

I don't like going out.

That is why my friends are all on the interwebz. That way when I don't feel like being sociable, I just close the window.

yes
    Jeff

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

wow!

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Nice jugs!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Trying To Learn Something New Each Day caneman is on a distinguished road caneman's Avatar
    caneman has donated to the forums!

Images

Hi Jeff,
    Your post brought back a lot of memories. I rebuilt my '70 VW Bus engine 3 times after sucking valves before I learned to ignore the VW factory manual and set the valves up loose (.006 all around I think, but its been about 35 years).
    I can still see all the engine parts in my mind. My wife used to lie under the bus and guide the driveshaft into the clutch as I pushed the engine in from the rear. All while it was 20 degrees F outside the garage. Ahh, what memories!
    Welcome to the asylum. The inmates are in charge here.

If you want me to add the picts and write up, let me know. This is the engine I flew in the race this past summer.
    Jeff

Thread Information