CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helmets 101

Default Helmets 101

Just for your information...

Helmets that are DOT(Department of Transportation) approved are street legal but meet only minimum requirements. The Snell Memorial Foundation came about after a tragic accident which could have been avoided if the crash tests on new helmets were kept up-to-date and had higher standards. DOT testing has not been updated since 1972. Snell is updated every 5 years and keeps strict tabs on which helmets get the approval stickers and which do not. The Snell approval sticker is located on the inside of the helmet behind the lining.

What you should know about autocross helmets and motorcycle helmets:

Snell's SA2000 Helmet Standard was designed for auto racing helmets. The M2000 standard is used for motorcycling and other motor sports. There are three major differences between the standards:

1. SA2000 helmets require a flammability test while the M2000 helmets do not

2. SA2000 helmets allow for a narrower visual field than the M2000 helmet standard. This may make some SA 2000 helmets illegal for use on the street.

3. SA2000 helmet standard requires roll bar impact test while M2000 helmets do not.
    Last edited by RallyK; 09-04-2005 at 09:19 AM.

Good stuff K.

Think this may be worthy of a sticky.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Thanks dood, I'll wait to see if anyone has shtuff to add to it.

To be more specific, Snell M2000 is designed to take more impact in the forehead for when you fly off your motorcycle face first, whereas, Snell SA2000 is made for impact in the back of your head when you slam back against your roll cage.

Remember, "Only $10 brains wear $10 helmets."

I see that most autocross places require a Snell 90 or better, what is the typical Snell rating of a helmet and how much do they usually run you?

And you have a PM
    -Dr Tweak, Toyota engine swap wiring expert extraordinaire

I was just thinking of posting that..
    The SCCA national rules for Autocross(SoloII) and Rallycross state that:

Snell 90 “SA” or “M” labeled helmets are approved for use.
    Snell SA 1995 or newer will replace this standard on 1/1/06.
    This is a minimum standard for use in RallyCross, other approved helmets are:
    1. British Standards: BS 6658-85 type A/FR, including all amendments.
    2. SFI Foundation, Inc.: SFI Foundation, Inc.: SFI Spec 31.1

Snell 90 was last updated in 1990, then they updated in 1995, now in 2000. So technically Snell 2000 is the best helmet you can get although for AutoX and RallyX Snell 90 is good enough (because you don't really go THAT fast).

M series, open faced helmets are the cheapest. You can use them for your motorcycle and for auto/rallycross. They run about $69+
    M series, closed face helmets will be about $79+
    SA series, open faced helmets will be about $150+
    SA series, closed face helmets are about $190+

My personal preference is open faced helmets because they allow you to breathe more. Closed faced helmets are good for flying debris and slamming face-first into the steering wheel, but DAMN it gets hot in those cars especially when you're breathing on yourself.

Most common brands to look out for are Snell, Bell, Pyrotect, G-Force, etc. (Yes, Snell makes their own helmets).

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/autosnellsa

http://www.gforce.com/products/helmets/gf750.html

http://www.soloracer.com/pyrotectlids.html

This is where I'm getting my new helmet. Seems like the best prices for the same product:
    http://www.soloperformance.com/Default.aspx?tabid=59

I need to update my helmet so I think I've decided on this one for now..

Pyrotect, openface, SA2000. $175

Quote Originally Posted by RallyK
    This is where I'm getting my new helmet. Seems like the best prices for the same product:
    http://www.soloperformance.com/Default.aspx?tabid=59
    Which one are you going to get?

*edit* Nevermind...
    -Dr Tweak, Toyota engine swap wiring expert extraordinaire

So i'm thinking that the first things i want to do to this ST I'm getting from you is a skid plate in the back, some massive mudflaps and some other protection here and there. Some of those tracks are ROUGH. There were a lot of rocks at the last event.

I also want to get strut bars for it. I think the rules state that those are free. I can always take em off if it's not!

When you're looking for a helmet, consider these things:
    Visability - can you see right and left out of the corner of your eyes?
    Weight - No joke, those buggers get heavy and will give you neck pain.
    Ventilation - For motorcycle helmets especially, flo-thru vents are very helpful for keeping your head from sweating AND making you dizzy.
    Materials - You shouldn't have to worry about it too much as long as it's SNELL. But try to find something that isn't going to rub you the wrong way.
    Size - VERY important. You don't want to be able to slide your helmet around while it's on your head. You also don't want it so tight that it cuts off circulation!

Yaaaaaaaay!

This is going to be a sticky, I will be removing all non-relevant posts in here.

This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

You better not, dammit.

I will. Stop whoring in here guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyK
    I need to update my helmet so I think I've decided on this one for now..

Pyrotect, openface, SA2000. $175

Nice. I picked up a Bell M2 w/ an SA2000 rating 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. I want to get a tinted shield so I don't need to wear sun glasses at the same time. I've also picked up a pack of tear-off sheets to reduce the chance of scratching the shield.
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

yea those bell helmets are up there in $$. the one you have is going for about $299 and a 3/4 helmet is 399. crazy

I figure my head's worth at least $299.

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

FWIW, the June '05 issue of Motorcyclist has a great article about helmet standards. They were of the opinion that the Snell standard actually results in MORE force being transferred to the head -- at least in the even of a motorcycle crash -- due to unrealistic test scenarios, e.g., the helmet hitting in exactly the same place twice. I suppose hitting in the same place twice is more likely in a car.

They also found that the cheapest helmet in the test transferred the least force to the head. This doesn't imply that cheaper is better, but in my opinion it disproves the myth that higher cost equals higher safety.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/
    Last edited by davlee; 09-12-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davlee
    FWIW, the June '05 issue of Motorcyclist has a great article about helmet standards. They were of the opinion that the Snell standard actually results in MORE force being transferred to the head -- at least in the even of a motorcycle crash -- due to unrealistic test scenarios, e.g., the helmet hitting in exactly the same place twice. I suppose hitting in the same place twice is more likely in a car.

They also found that the cheapest helmet in the test transferred the least force to the head. This doesn't imply that cheaper is better, but in my opinion it disproves the myth that higher cost equals higher safety.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/
    Bingo. The steering wheel is always going to be in the same spot and unless your roll cage is poorly made, it won't move either. Also, keep in mind, the forces transfered to your noodle when your melon hits the asphalt is much different than when your car hits a barrier, or rolls over.

Thread Information