CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
  • Power cable and good connections

Ok thought I would throw a little write up in the mix of power wire connections.
    First off all 4 guage cable is not created equal. Examples are pics 1 and 2

pics are taken with the same cable lug and I had to hold the lug on the cable for the first picture or it would fall off because of the low wire count. Pic 2 shows a better quality cable and the lug fits snug

An moving on, we all know a good sodier connection can't be beat but.. how can we making it better?
    This is how!
    Fill the lug with sodier.

Heat it up.

stick the cable in with the lug hot and sodier melted and it will wick into the cable locking it together (some would consider this done) Many will also pre heat the wire but I choose not to so that the isulation stays nice.
    I actualy tested this connection to see if I could break it free but could not.

How can we make this better?
    CRIMP it too!!!

Now if this connection is to be under the hood I would recomend some heat shrink on the connection to seal out the elements
    Here I am using Waytek wire's Super heavy duty heatshrink with a epoxy sealent (overkill but works for my needs) Ensure that the heat shrink covers the insulation and the connector to ensure a water tight seal.

So what would you choose?
    This?

Or
    This?

Hope this helped someone out.
    For this write up waytekwire.com was used for the lugs, heatshrink and heavy duty crimper and Knu Konceptz is the brand of the good cable shown.
    David
  • Recent Forum Posts

187flatliner

had to jump the celica as she sat for 2 weeks and I forgot to undo the neg post.... warmed the car up and i noticed that none of the gauges where working....

Brainstorm?

187flatliner 1 Day Ago Go to last post
    Murgatroy

There are a few cats that have gone out of their way to make power on a 5SFE. One who doesn't post here that often and one that passed away, none who

91 GTS header

Murgatroy 2 Days Ago Go to last post
    4thgenceli

He's right. Either way you'll be doing a new intake and exhaust to help the head and cam work breath better right? A 3sgte swap isn't much more than the

91 GTS header

4thgenceli 2 Days Ago Go to last post
    METDeath

So just to clearly state:
    Spending money on a 5S-FE motor is purely a labor of love as you won't get any major gains from any one thing

91 GTS header

METDeath 3 Days Ago Go to last post
    jman91

Okay thanks. I have looked into doing a swap and it is pretty big bucks from what I have found. And a lot of work. I'm looking into having the cams and

91 GTS header

jman91 4 Days Ago Go to last post
Top Member List Chat Forum Search Contact Top