PDA

View Full Version : Audi's?

Elektr0de
09-16-2005, 02:42 AM
Im looking into possibly getting a 2k tt quattro, i was wondering if anyone had any exp with audis. How relaible are they when they get higher up in miles, and does the AWD system cause any major problems or are they pretty stable?

Luni
09-16-2005, 03:03 AM
Theyre good cars, always have gotten good reviews.

What engine you goin for? The 1.8T?

Ive raced one in the MR2 and I whooped his ass in a straight, but I bet hed beat me in a turn. AWD on a roadster is cool.

Elektr0de
09-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I dont really care at this time which engine it is as long as its the quattro, if im going to get another roadster i want it to handle decent in the winter

Mr E
09-16-2005, 12:04 PM
i want it to handle decent in the winter

Don't buy a sports car then. All the 4wd gubbins in the world will not help if you're running wide low profile tyres. Mine is 'entertaining' on the rare occasion it snows.........

On winter rubber, it'll probably be managable. But then so will everything else pretty much.

A word about the 4wd. It's not "real" 4wd. Having driven both a TT and S3 quattro in anger, it's VAGs 4 motion system. Which means it's FWD until it thinks you need the power moved backwards. Which, from experience, is usually about half a second after you've had to get out of the throttle to quell the understeer......

All that being said, it's a stylish coupe, with a decent engine. It's built well, goes well, is nice to drive and has a great image. I suspect you won't have any trouble owning one, and won't lose a lot of money when you come to sell it.

You could do a whole lot worse?

Me? I'd buy an '86 Ur-Quattro. But I've always been considered somewhat less than sane.

:)

COLDAX
09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I've heard they have serious reliability issues, at least the early models which I think includes the 2000.

medivh66
09-17-2005, 05:05 PM
my friend is an audi freak. they seem to be pretty reliable

MoralWarfare
09-17-2005, 05:33 PM
2000 = unreliable, too much flex in the chassis, and squirrely handling. Not bad, but not my first choice.

E - when did they change from audi's symmetrical awd to 4-motion, or are they the same?

Rayme
09-18-2005, 06:29 AM
they are VW product, I didnt make my reseach but I'd say reliability is under average if they follow the VW tradition....

edit : made my research, they do come with the electrical woes that plague VWs, like power windows that misteriously stop working, and others...

just be prepared that its not a Toyota :)

Rarh
12-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Who told you that the AUdi's AWD system isn't not a "Real AWD" system...oh and btw its AWD not 4wd(its usually very different).
I would love to know what you mean by this.

The AWD system on the Audi are the most advanced in the world for years, hence why they were kicked out of the Rally competitions for unfair advantage.

VikingJZ
12-22-2005, 12:43 AM
My friend has an 01 TT and it's AWD. It's full-time, too. They're great cars and handle quite nicely in the snow. He puts the stock rims back on for winter though.

I'm getting my STI in less than six months, so I don't need to worry about an Audi. :)

alltracman78
12-22-2005, 03:24 AM
I had a chick in a TT try to escape from my AT.

She couldn't. :D

alltracman78
12-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Who told you that the AUdi's AWD system isn't not a "Real AWD" system...oh and btw its AWD not 4wd(its usually very different).
I would love to know what you mean by this.

The AWD system on the Audi are the most advanced in the world for years, hence why they were kicked out of the Rally competitions for unfair advantage.

Alot of things were kicked out of the "Rally competitions"....

I was pretty sure E was right, but I wanted to double check first.

"if the front wheels slip and full traction is no longer available, the Swedish-sourced Haldex clutch redirects an increasing amount of engine torque to the rear axle."

Taken from here
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3012/is_1998_Oct_1/ai_53179711#continue

alltracman78
12-22-2005, 03:51 AM
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=1523
A forum where this is discussed.....

alltracman78
12-22-2005, 03:53 AM
And what he means [I think] is it's not a full time awd. Meaning it has to start slipping to be awd.
Ours, and many others, are always awd. Which makes it harder to slip....
And personally, I hate electronic control of the transmission. I much prefer our full mechanical system to most others full/part electronic controls...
But that's me.

Lagos
12-22-2005, 03:54 AM
those TTs are pretty slow. i talked to a guy that used to own a 7th gen gts and then bought the TT...he said it was about the same acceleration as the 7th gen. not worth the extra money if you ask me.

have you thought about a wrx? right around the same price and a great car.

alltracman78
12-22-2005, 08:26 PM
They're faster than a GTS....
I know. I will blow the doors off a stock GTS right now, and the TT that tried to run away from me wasn't much slower than I am.