PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen Alltrac VS. 5th gen w/ swap

angryyoungnpoor
09-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Which would win? Haven't seen this one posted. Say the engine was putting out the same power and the tires were the same.

I know the weights are different, but alltrac's got AWD. Just something going through my head.

Murgatroy
09-14-2005, 03:51 AM
What type of race are we talking about?

The Swap would be lighter, but the AT would have better traction.

Slider
09-14-2005, 04:35 AM
From a stop probably alltrac, then the swap would start catching up at higher speeds.

From a roll definately swap.

alltracman78
09-14-2005, 05:45 AM
stock Alltrac to stock swap [as much as possible] the swap would win.
The only time the Alltrac would be ahead is the launch. Once you got going a little bit, the swap would catch up and pass.

Sean
09-14-2005, 09:42 PM
The alltrac might win if it was a 60 foot race, but that would be it.

Stock alltracs trap around 91mph. Where as a swapped celi typically traps around 100mph.

Trance4c
09-14-2005, 10:07 PM
We have done it.

Alltrac 16psi

Swap 10psi - non-intercooled

The alltrac got out, but by 70mph or so the swap creeped by. I have the video around here somewhere from the swaps perspective.

ChrisD
09-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Actually stock Alltracs would trap 88mph. It takes a fair bit of work to get it up over 100mph (~230-250whp). If the alltrac had a really decent clutch, that would help. Also if you are talking swap with JDM motor and alltrac with USDM motor, that would make a difference.

Swaps should be seeing quicker overall 1/4 mile times stock.

From a roll, my money would be on the swap.

Probably rather similar in straight line performance to the MR2 Turbo to be honest, which are quicker than Alltrac's in general.

In the winter, I'd probably bet on the Alltrac. :hehe:

angryyoungnpoor
09-15-2005, 04:44 AM
I figured as much. Though it'll take awhile until I keep up with the local 600 hp alltrac here. Though.. I'm really never expecting to be able to...

VikingJZ
09-15-2005, 04:50 AM
Swap. Sure the AT may have the off the line for a bit, but weight is the enemy. It's not always important that your arrogant colleagues car is more powerful, if yours is lighter and slightly less powerful, you could walk easily.

Sean
09-15-2005, 11:10 AM
I figured as much. Though it'll take awhile until I keep up with the local 600 hp alltrac here. Though.. I'm really never expecting to be able to...

Whom may that be?

angryyoungnpoor
09-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Whom may that be?

mmm.. I'd link you too it.. but I'll actually link you to a forum post by me on toyotacelicaonline.com . http://toyotacelicaonline.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3890 It's pretty nice. He's got something broken in it(maybe crankcase?), but apparently his setup is capable of 600 hp. He owns a motorsports shop, so I guess that a good thing, in case I ever need any help.

Waffle
09-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Yea, I have been thinking about this too. Do you guys think it would be better to swap a 3sgte engine into a 92 Celica GT wit 208,000 miles on it? Or should I just buy an alltrac? I plan on buying either an alltrac or a 3sgte engine in the next year. But I dont know if I should just swap or buy a whole new car. I want the AWD for winter, I live in Pennsylvania, yes we do have some pretty bad snow on occasion, but I dont know if thats enough to buy car with AWD. I dont know what to do, any opinions?