PDA

View Full Version : bad suspension still after new konis

banshee3388
09-10-2005, 03:45 AM
i just installed my new koni yellows and eibach sportline springs. my front right strut was making a clunking noise so i just figured it was the strut but even with the new koni yellows and new springs it still makes the clunking noise when ever i got over a tiny little bump (specialy speed bumps and driveways). so could this be bad bushings? i inspected all the rubber pieces on the struts and they seemed all okay except the bump stops which were completely disintergrated and i replaced those. so could this be bad bushings? or something else

caneman
09-10-2005, 04:38 AM
How many miles are on your strut mounts?

banshee3388
09-10-2005, 02:43 PM
about 120000. its not the mounts though the bearing are still good. i think its the rack and pinion bushing because i looked under the car and well i saw the plastic coming off. its the front bushing thats has the giant bolt in it. could this be the reason its making the noise?

Adrian Avgerinos
09-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Check your swaybar mounts and endlinks.

banshee3388
09-14-2005, 11:14 PM
ok well i now know what is it for sure. its the front bushing on the lower control arm in the from passenger side. I hear that you can buy polyurethane bushing for them, but toyota tells me that you cant just buy replacement bushings because the ones on there are molded into the control arm; in other words toyota was trying to make me buy a whole new lower control arm. anyone replaced there control arms bushings or know if its possible or must i get another lower control arm?

Galcobar
09-14-2005, 11:29 PM
http://www.185performance.com/cgi-bin/performance/index.html
http://www.fensport.co.uk/parts.htm
http://www.toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/Polyurethane_Bushings.html#Celica_1970_to_1977_

banshee3388
09-15-2005, 02:25 AM
ok thanks, im ordering from toyhead now for them. rick from toyhead said i need an arbor press to remove the old bushing and to put the new one in. is this the only way to do it? if so would autozone likely have this tool to rent?

roman
09-15-2005, 04:22 AM
Just take it to any shop with a hydraulic press and press them out. The other option is to burn the old bushings out with a torch and then clean up the mess inside. The torch option is going to smell pretty nasty.

banshee3388
09-15-2005, 08:26 PM
If i was to torch it how would i put the new one in? i got a quote from my mechanic and he said about $150 to replace the 4 front bushings on the front control arms and $100 to put in my rear konis and eibachs. (didnt feel like messing with the rears, fronts were easy though)

Adrian Avgerinos
09-15-2005, 09:03 PM
If i was to torch it how would i put the new one in? i got a quote from my mechanic and he said about $150 to replace the 4 front bushings on the front control arms and $100 to put in my rear konis and eibachs. (didnt feel like messing with the rears, fronts were easy though)

See here for an example:

http://www.celicatech.net/forums/showpost.php?p=104074&postcount=19

Use a vice, or a G clamp to install.

BEAMS
09-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Let use know how you did get the bushing out of the control arm. I need to get a new one, since the one from tap seems to be burned or melted a little from what looks like hot oil or some type of acid. So i really want to know how you get the bushing out, since it looks impossible to take out, without using a press.

banshee3388
09-24-2005, 02:08 PM
im taking it to my mechanic because i dont have the proper tools nor do my friends. and hes defintely using a press to take them out. sry i couldnt have been of more help

Galcobar
09-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Take it to your mechanic along with a camera....and take notes. Ask about how much pressure was used, etc, so we have the information as an alternative to Adrian's heat/cold method of removing the bushings.

banshee3388
09-24-2005, 09:11 PM
ya if im not working i'll see if he doesnt mind, because alot of the times shops dont like customers in the back for insurance reasons.

banshee3388
09-30-2005, 12:22 AM
well unfortunately i have to work while the car is getting fixed, but if you guys really want i can i ask how much pressure was needed/used to take off and put the new bushings in. also does anyone know if a front strut bar from a 94-99 celica will fit on the 5th gen (GT)

banshee3388
10-17-2005, 08:34 AM
ok well i forgot about this thread. but anyway i got the bushings in and the mechanic said that the bushings wouldnt come off with the press so he had to burn them off like you guys suggested. I noticed no benefits from having polyurethane, but then again i also got the rear end suspension put it. As for that "clanking" sound it was actually the sway bar underneath the car, it was loose and hitting metal so they just tightned the bolt; hell i didnt even know the celica had a sway bar underneath the car.
If you wanna see pics go here. cardomain (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2069815)

Ricksta
10-18-2005, 03:26 AM
thats not the 5th gen motor is it? y would u wanna put money into that peice of shit....mann my starter will grind like a bitch cuz im guessing a tooth is chipped.....do i bother replacing it?!? nahhh.....id rather put the money towards the 3s 3rd gen...

Adrian Avgerinos
10-18-2005, 04:31 AM
thats not the 5th gen motor is it? y would u wanna put money into that peice of shit....mann my starter will grind like a bitch cuz im guessing a tooth is chipped.....do i bother replacing it?!? nahhh.....id rather put the money towards the 3s 3rd gen...

Thanks for shitting up the thread with your trivial banter and atrocious communication skills. :bigthumbu

ok well i forgot about this thread. but anyway i got the bushings in and the mechanic said that the bushings wouldnt come off with the press so he had to burn them off like you guys suggested. I noticed no benefits from having polyurethane, but then again i also got the rear end suspension put it. As for that "clanking" sound it was actually the sway bar underneath the car, it was loose and hitting metal so they just tightned the bolt; hell i didnt even know the celica had a sway bar underneath the car.
If you wanna see pics go here. cardomain (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2069815)

You probably won't see a large gain in the polyurethane bushings unless:

a) Your stock bushings were completely destroyed
b) You have an aggressively sprung suspension.

Glad to hear your "clunking" problem is solved.

banshee3388
10-18-2005, 05:36 AM
Ricksta how many 5sfe Celica's do you know that can beat any Civic SI, not many, but I can : :hehe: I should post a video of me and my brother racing with his '04 SI. I kick his ass every time, no matter what he does to the damn engine he still cant manage to beat the Celi (with the fuel economy engine). And by the way I am swapping out the motor; I'm just not doing it until I start attending UTI this year, this way I know what I am doing and I'll do it right the first time.

You probably won't see a large gain in the polyurethane bushings unless:
a) Your stock bushings were completely destroyed
b) You have an aggressively sprung suspension.
my stocks bushings in the control arm were completely destroyed, I can post pics on my cardomain or I can send them someone because I cant post them on here for w/e reason. What is considered an aggressively sprung suspension? If anything I would think I do now, but then again I'm not a mechanical engineer, so what do i know about suspension.