PDA

View Full Version : Alignment costs

Doc
12-17-2004, 02:20 AM
I just had a local shop do some work on my car but unfortunately they did not have the capability to do alignments. Kinda need one after replacing the axles and bearings.

So I called the toyota dealer first today to get what was sure to be one of the highest job estimates, just to get a feeling at what I'll be spending soon.

But I was suprised to hear they charge $89 for 4 wheel alignment.

What price range should I realistically be looking at here?

TRDmkII
12-17-2004, 02:24 AM
my dealership charges about the same amt...firestone shops or ntb's any local tire shop will charge a little less and probably have the same equipment....wait...i now see you live in my town....lol thats funny...we should meet up sometime......and if you need work done on your car in the future i can proably help you out.

Doc
12-17-2004, 02:33 AM
my dealership charges about the same amt...

Bastards.

wait...i now see you live in my town....lol thats funny...

Woah. Thats like, woah. All hail the omnipotent internet :P

we should meet up sometime......and if you need work done on your car in the future i can proably help you out.

That'd be sweet. Do you know how to replace that pesky high pressure power steering hose?

Anyone else on the boards from columbus? I'd like to have a meet around here sometime.

roman
12-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Average price for alignments in most places is $60-90. If you can find a place to do it for less than $60, go for it.

TRDmkII
12-17-2004, 03:01 AM
Average price for alignments in most places is $60-90. If you can find a place to do it for less than $60, go for it.

if you can find a place to do it for less than 60 bucks....then run...lol...you're car may never drive right again...lol.

gt_turbo
12-17-2004, 03:29 AM
i paid $50 at firestone

roman
12-17-2004, 03:37 AM
if you can find a place to do it for less than 60 bucks....then run...lol...you're car may never drive right again...lol. Depends on the shop, I guess. There's a small mom&pop type of shop around here that does GREAT alignments for about $50-60. Much better than any of the other chain shops that charge up to $90 for them. Actually, the quality of their work is comparable to the work done at high-end performance shops that can charge well over $100 for a good alingment.

I get my wheels aligned every year. You just have to find the right place :) Everybody can do an alignment, not everybody does it right though. Most common problem is lazyness. They probably CAN get the specs you want, but they don't want to go through the trouble getting there. I went through 3 places before I was able to find a capable shop.

TRDmkII
12-17-2004, 03:55 AM
I'm pretty good at alignments..however what makes me mad is that in most cars only the toe is adjustable...i've aligned all my cars....and specs are only good for the factory settings...if you have any suspension upgrades you're going to want your own specs in a way...it changes the whole geometry...I'm an ASE certified technician in steering/suspension, i can say that a lot of ppl are lazy when doing alignments....it sickens me...

roman
12-17-2004, 04:35 AM
My suspension is stock (not for much longer) and I still want my own specs done :) That's another thing. It's hard to find a shop that will do anything other than stock specs.

Sean
12-17-2004, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty good at alignments..however what makes me mad is that in most cars only the toe is adjustable...i've aligned all my cars....and specs are only good for the factory settings...if you have any suspension upgrades you're going to want your own specs in a way...it changes the whole geometry...I'm an ASE certified technician in steering/suspension, i can say that a lot of ppl are lazy when doing alignments....it sickens me...

Thats pretty impressive man, you should SERIOUSLY think about doing a write up for the hard core people like myself who would love to tackle this myself! :bigthumbu

fiveSFE
12-17-2004, 09:25 PM
ive paid 30, and where i work at a kia dealership they want like 40 i think wit my discount

TRDmkII
12-18-2004, 12:11 AM
dude i dont' know how to do an aligment w/o an alignment machine, though it can be done...lol...

schmooot
12-18-2004, 02:53 AM
tape measure for starters

ibanezgfx
12-19-2004, 03:53 PM
i live in ohio too!!!
i took mine to a place that does it for 50. except i need a new strut and lower control arm before they cand do it. so it might cost a little more

Mr E
12-19-2004, 04:04 PM
I paid well over twice that to have the Four setup after we rebuilt the suspension.

Worth it though. This place usually sets up racing Exciges and the like.

Celexa GT
12-21-2004, 08:34 AM
I paid about $60 plus tax at NTB (first time since I bought it and put new tires on it). It still drifts to the right though.

What should I look for to identify a good place to have this done correctly?

Sean
12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Just got it done today, 49.99 for the front, 65 for all 4 corners at Les Schwab. Car drives so much better!