PDA

View Full Version : transmission ??? Please help

blackscarlet
09-01-2005, 09:09 PM
This may be a stupid question....but i'm swapping a motor and don't know enough yet, so...

...i have a 95 celica st with a 1.8 motor (i think it is the 7afe) i'm putting a celica GT 2.2 motor in (again i think it's 5sfe). Is the old transmission going to bolt right up to the 2.2 motor or do i need to get another transmission also..?

presure2
09-01-2005, 10:34 PM
the tranny from the ST will not bolt to the GT engine.
you also know the 5sfe is not a bolt in affair in the ST, right? your also gonna need the wireharness and ecu as well, as well as the coil and ignigtor.

Galcobar
09-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Transmissions don't swap well (typically) between engine series. The Celica used two series, the S-block engines and the A-block engines.

blackscarlet
09-02-2005, 03:04 AM
I actually wasn't interested in cars one bit, then hung around my bf and his dad,and well one thing led to another...and I decided to learn more about things in the process of doing a swap. But I'm getting a 5SFE JDM motor and I have the option of getting the transmission that was originally mounted on the engine. If I were to do that everything should fit, right?

Galcobar
09-02-2005, 04:57 AM
I suggest looking up engine swaps on this website, particularly this thread: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81

Engine swaps, as opposed to engine replacements, are not things to be undertaken lightly. There's a LOT of research to be done beforehand so you don't get caught by something you weren't expecting.

The research will also teach you a lot about the various engine types, advantages and disadvantages of the various Celica engines. Put it this way -- within an hour of beginning your reading, you should be able to quote the engine code, displacement, torque, HP and transmission pairing of every engine used since 1990 (since you have a sixth-gen, you can skip the fourths).

blackscarlet
09-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Well my boyfriends dad has done about 30 swaps... just never on a celica. So we have the basic stuff covered ...and believe me i'm doing the research...Thanx for the help..it's appreciated

Lagos
09-02-2005, 09:46 PM
there are a few things u have to know before you try to do this type of thing.

1, if i were you, i would buy a USDM 5sfe that came out of a 94-99 celica. going with a jdm motor, or a 5sfe out of another car, might give you a lot of problems with the cars wiring and ecu and probably a hard time passing emissions.

2. make sure that you get the full uncut wiring harness, ecu and tranny with the motor your buy

3. you will need to buy all 4 motor mounts from a celica gt and 2 new axels

4 on the passengers side, you will need to do some drilling and relocating of that motor mount. nothing too hard, but its something you should be aware of

5. you boyfriends dad has probably worked on a ton of hot rods and stuff, make sure he has the know how to work on an import. ive seen a lot of these great mechanics get confused buy fule injectors and ecus, the same way us imptor guys get confused by carbs.

6... the most troubble free way to go is to just buy another 7afe from the same generation and have that swaped in (if the reason for your swap is a blown motor or something) . that way you can reuse everything and have little down time

7....research reasearch reasearch.

blackscarlet
09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
This is now her BF...I'm well versed in the Supra world and before sticking w/ the good ol' 7M, I was gonna 1J one of my Supes. I deal with Supras, so the Celica isn't too intimadating to me. :cool:

As far as the emmissions thing...I can get by the visual part of the inspection and in PA we also have a sniffer test on a dynometer...that wasn't a concern for me since the turbocharged motors run lean enough to pass after being boosted before test. (MY JDM 7M does)
And on a N/A motor that is in good cond., it should pass, too correct?

I was gonna source the axel, ignition, USDM harness,USDM ecu, etc.... just do the swap and send it to my shop of choice(world motorsports) for the wiring/lenthening BS. THE MOTOR'S NOT COMING W/ A HARNESS

I went JDM and w/ the clean, low milage motor I got for my Supra...I don't regret it one bit. :bigthumbu

I will however, love some help in getting some parts help from you guys here.
(I know us Supra guys on SF.com and SM.com bend over backwards for each other, and I'm sure you guys do the same for each other):rockon:

Is there anything else that should concern me w/ a 5sfe swap into the ST?

-Steve
P.S....7M=MK3 Sup motor
1JZ=2.5 TT jap Sup motor
I'm Speedin89 on SupraForums...look me up!

Rjb23
09-04-2005, 04:31 PM
I have one question why go through the trouble of swapping a 5sfe into an st when better engines can be swapped in with the same amount of trouble. Such as the 3s, 4age, 4agze and so on?

Lagos
09-05-2005, 11:20 AM
blackscarlet... well, you seem to have an idea of what your are doing, but i have to echo what rjb23 said.... its a whole lot of work and money just for a 20-30hp or so gain. why not throw something much faster and better in there?

as far as where you get your motor... i dont really think the 5sfe was sold in japan, but i do know there are tons of them in america. since the motor was put into just about every toyota from a rav4, camry, mr2, celica, etc... you should be able to get a nice, low milage motor with ecu and harness. if you get the wiring/ecu from the same year as your car, it will all be plug and play

Galcobar
09-05-2005, 10:34 PM
5SFE was used in Japan, just not in Celicas, so getting a hold of the correct engine mounts will require going North American.

I'll second the point on 5SFE versus 7AFE -- if you're going to have to do such a complete swap, but want JDM and naturally aspirated, consider the 3SGE.

blackscarlet
09-30-2005, 06:37 AM
ok i thought about it, and then thought i would do the 3sgte swap....then realizing i'd need a bit more money.. I'm still not totally sure what i'm doing but i'm looking into the 4age...from what i've read so far it should be a pretty clean swap...Does anyone know the diff in hp between the 7afe and the 4afe or would this swap not be worth it..?

blackscarlet
10-02-2005, 03:35 AM
NM it's around 60 hp

Galcobar
10-02-2005, 05:18 AM
7AFE to 4AFE to 7AFE to 4AGE? Your numbers say 4AGE, but your question was 4AFE.