PDA

View Full Version : Dealerships and Maintenance/Repairs

thundr51
09-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Just curious, how many of you guys do your own repairs/upkeep? I don't mean adding a CAI or anything but stuff like tune ups, oil changes, etc?

If you don't, do you take it to the dealership and let them handle it or somewhere else? Would you recommend going to the dealer over somewhere else?

I ask this because I think I need a tune up (over 50k miles) and I really want to get started doing something under the hood but I'll kill myself if I did anything wrong. The local dealership has gotten out of hand (they told me they rotated my tires but didn't!) and if I can help it I'm not going back. My wife and a friend recommended going to firestone (they've helped them in the past) but I'm still skeptical. What do you guys think?

kcc
09-01-2005, 10:55 PM
I do eveying by myself

SpiderGTS
09-03-2005, 03:17 AM
If your car is under warrenty they recommend that you take it to the dealer but if there giving you a hassle, just buy a floor jack nothing to expensive and do it yourself. Plus there are books out their to help you out like Chiltons repair manual
http://www.chiltonsonline.com/

thundr51
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Plus there are books out their to help you out like Chiltons repair manual
http://www.chiltonsonline.com/

Too bad they don't have anything for an 02 Celica.

oneal66
09-09-2005, 11:16 PM
There are some really good general automotive repair manuals. If you have any vehicle specific questions this is a great place to find the answers.
I do all of the maintenance/repair work on my vehicles, mainly because I just don't trust anyone else to do them. I'll take it to the shop if I am having a problem that is over my head, or I just don't feel like doing something.
Doing your own work is the best way to really get to know your car. Just go get a book, or ask how to do something.

Smaay
09-10-2005, 12:44 AM
just get the BGB from the dealer, way better than a chiltons. i do everything my self, including building the motor pulling and installing it, ill never take my 7th gen to a dealer, there really isnt anything OEM left on it...

thundr51
09-13-2005, 01:02 PM
just get the BGB from the dealer, way better than a chiltons. i do everything my self, including building the motor pulling and installing it, ill never take my 7th gen to a dealer, there really isnt anything OEM left on it...

Sounds like a good idea, but what's a BGB?

Murgatroy
09-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Big Green Book.

It is year specific and it is essentially the instructions to your car. It is the Toyota masterbook, it has complete wiring diagrams and so forth. It is the book the Toyota Techs use so they know how to work on your car.

caneman
09-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but what's a BGB?

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/bgb.php

ibanezgfx
09-14-2005, 03:32 AM
7th gen links dont work :(

thundr51
09-20-2005, 01:02 PM
thanx, once the link works i'll be all over this.

kitty5
10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
I do all the simple maintenace myself (oil changes, rotating my tires, fluids, etc.)
Sears sells these jacks that come w/ 2 jack stands that can handle 2 tons. for like $25.
The dealership is just the worst way to go. They're always trying to screw you over.
If you do have to have some major work done under the hood ask around for a real reliable mechanic that people have been going to for years. That's how I found my mechanic and they ROCK!

Good luck.

Rix86
11-02-2005, 06:39 AM
I do all the simple maintenace myself (oil changes, rotating my tires, fluids, etc.)
Sears sells these jacks that come w/ 2 jack stands that can handle 2 tons. for like $25.
The dealership is just the worst way to go. They're always trying to screw you over.
If you do have to have some major work done under the hood ask around for a real reliable mechanic that people have been going to for years. That's how I found my mechanic and they ROCK!

Good luck.
If dealerships were there only to screw people, they wouldn't still be in business.
As a dealership technician.... i have to fix cars that "mechanics" have had their hands on, all the time. not to mention the things that people try to work on, and screw it up cause they are wwwaaayyyyy over their head.

The best way to find someone who knows what they are doing to work on your car is to go rub elbows..
Talk to the person, tell them what you are wanting, and what you want done.
every shop is different. And that is because every mechanic/technician is different.
some are good, some are not. some should have their hands cut off so they can never pick up a wrench again.
and what's really sad is that midas has almost the same labor rate as the dealerships......

Galcobar
11-02-2005, 08:11 AM
The rule that some are good, some are not applies equally to dealerships.

I've had the pleasure of discovering incompetent parts guys at a couple places -- one guy gave me the wrong bolt even after looking at the two choices on the screen and confirming that the one I wanted was the shorter of the two...

Mind you, my preferred parts guy works at the same dealership which can't diagnose a bad suspension arm bearing even when told it's probably a bad suspension arm bearing. Courtesy of that bad diagnosis, I spent over a grand re-doing my suspension to fix nothing. I still have to replace that bad arm, and in the meantime was unable to buy my wheels/tire or re-do my exhaust.

Quite miffed I am.

Rix86
11-03-2005, 04:01 AM
perfectly understandable.
but it all depends on who you talk to.
most cases it isn't the dealership, but an individual.