PDA

View Full Version : They said it's never been done: ST205 FWD to AWD

VikingJZ
08-28-2005, 09:07 PM
So here it is, a guy converted his 1994 Celica GT liftback to AWD with the 3rd gen 3sgte.

Click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Celica-ST205-GT4-ST205-GT-Four-Celica-3S-GTE-conversion-All-Trac-Turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ15288QQitemZ45718 66694QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Rayme
08-28-2005, 10:36 PM
its doable, yes yes, I don't know when the thing will fall appart, I'd be scared to drive a car with major rear sub frame modifications

Colossus20v
08-28-2005, 11:37 PM
its been done for a while now. Its actually been a couple of years.

Edit: That car was on ebay before. A while ago actually.

alltracman78
08-28-2005, 11:41 PM
First off, that's a ST202, not a ST205.

No one said it hasn't been done.
A guy in FL did it a while back.

It's alot easier to do it to a 6th g. The floorpan already has room for a driveshaft and exhaust.
Also, there aren't very many ST205s in North America.
Like 1 or 2.
So, you are creating a car we don't have.
What's the point of making a ST184 into a ST185 when you can already buy it here, for less than the swap will cost you?

96celica
08-29-2005, 08:25 PM
It's alot easier to do it to a 6th g. The floorpan already has room for a driveshaft and exhaust.
Also, there aren't very many ST205s in North America.

have you looked under a 6th gen....YOU DON"T have the room in the floor plan...NOR the chassis design for it.......just cause the shell is the same doesn't mean the chassis and floor is.....at200, st202 are MUCH MUCH different in chassis design and floor pan and have to be cut and redone inorder to fit the needed parts of an ST205.....
there are NO st205s in North america as they are not legal......the chassis are way different and would require massive amounts of work and suspension swapping form the USDM mcpherson to the JDM/Euro superstrut

saved_1992
08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
have you looked under a 6th gen....YOU DON"T have the room in the floor plan...NOR the chassis design for it.......just cause the shell is the same doesn't mean the chassis and floor is.....at200, st202 are MUCH MUCH different in chassis design and floor pan and have to be cut and redone inorder to fit the needed parts of an ST205.....
there are NO st205s in North america as they are not legal......the chassis are way different and would require massive amounts of work and suspension swapping form the USDM mcpherson to the JDM/Euro superstrut

:wtf:

YOU ARE SO WRONG (there is atleast 2, one was even on ebay last year!!)

InitialD93
08-29-2005, 11:17 PM
cruise over to www.alltrac.net (http://www.alltrac.net) we have 2 united states ST205 owners over there and they will be happy to tell you otherwise... one is white one is red

G-man
08-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Not to mention the car for sale is a ST204, not a ST202 - we didn't get those either.

Toyota_Todd
09-01-2005, 03:43 AM
(quote: there are NO st205s in North america as they are not legal)

I can vouch for the white ST205 that used to reside in northern IN. I drove the fabled right hand drive Celica GT-Four before it was deported out of state for body work. I can't say what the legal status is of said car, but it really does exist. I have a picture in the garage of me driving it!

VikingJZ
09-01-2005, 04:17 AM
I love forgetting about things I post. I may have seen that white ST205 on US 30 up here in Indiana a few weeks ago. I can't recall it being a real one though. For sure, it was a white 6th gen.

ChrisD
09-05-2005, 04:08 PM
There is also a conversion that was done in the UK. This one had *extensive* work done, and successfully did the conversion. It was VERY well done. The one pictured above, I have been told, is quite the hack job.

(quote: there are NO st205s in North america as they are not legal)

I can vouch for the white ST205 that used to reside in northern IN. I drove the fabled right hand drive Celica GT-Four before it was deported out of state for body work. I can't say what the legal status is of said car, but it really does exist. I have a picture in the garage of me driving it!

I have also seen this car. Got to sit in it when it arrived in Canada, before being shipped out to the states.

WRC95
09-07-2005, 04:33 AM
hey,
well i have the white st205 ..(hey Todd !!) anyway if you saw it on US30 in the last 5 months we have a problem as car was towed to iowa back in april.

to do conversion you would need to basically swap entire rear floor pan and susp towers which could be done better than factory but it would cost a pretty penny ...the front is same on all 6th cens celica GT's

you could also get a whole st205 and swap out firewall but they would not be wise unless done to better than oem spec's and getting st205 here is a "minor" issue ..

the FL car is a semi-hack job which could be made nice but he didn't even use rear floor pan so not sure how reliable it would be plus gas tank in trunk would suck on a road trip ..

alltracman78
09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I was wondering if you would show up here.....

Thought about linking, but was too lazy.

So the floorpan is different?
I read somewhere it was the same.

I guess you can't believe everything you read on the interweb.... :sadcry:

GT4SOM
09-08-2005, 04:59 AM
http://www.evolutionimports.net/usedcars.php?page=7&perpage=5

On the very bottom. You can own you're very own 205 rhd and with legal US dot papers. I wouldn't buy that hack job. Specially with a fuel cell in your trunk. I wonder how many miles you get per tank. Hahaha

WRC95
09-08-2005, 12:18 PM
that car has been for sale for a while .. 19k is way to much for a car that is offically "not" legal .. i paid 4800 for mine with 64k on it and even though mine was damaged i will still have less than 10k in it when done ..

BTW THEY JUST USE FLORIDA SIMPLE TITLE LAWS TO GET IT "LEGAL" IT IS NOT ON ANY DOT LEGAL LIST NOR HAVE THEY DONE ANY WORK WITH DOT ..

my interior is just as mint and i save 9k ..

getting back to topic .. the floor from back seats to trunk is different but rest of floor is same as other models .. it is a 2 peice floor ..

d-

Murgatroy
09-08-2005, 12:28 PM
One day I am gonna find a way to afford an ST205... oh yes...