PDA

View Full Version : Is there really a difference between K&N and other cheap brands?

AznKlique
08-22-2005, 12:27 AM
I need to replace the cone filter for my intake and I was wondering if there is in fact a real difference between the expensive K&N air filters and those cheap knockoff ones? Has anyone ever tried out both types of filters and noticed a real difference? I know, i know, you get what you pay for, but I was wondering before I go out and spend 50 dollars for a filter.

Apostle
08-22-2005, 12:52 AM
I bought an intake from ebay, and came with a knockoff K&N, I felt an increase in power and sounds quite nice. I wonder too...If i got a K&N what kind of increases will i see. BTW I was at a car show awhile ago and they had a section where there were different filters attached to clear pipes, and inside the pipes were balls, and the balls would float in mid-air because of the air suction, the filter that performed the best that had the ball floating the highest was Green, the K&N came in second place. So yes, different filter companies make different fabrics or materials for their filters, If I ever switch filters I'm going to get a green filter from what I saw at that car show.

http://www.greenfilters.com/

alltracman78
08-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Just remember, the main point of a air filter is to filter out dirt/debris.
You might want to find the one that filters best...

Slider
08-22-2005, 03:49 AM
K&N flows better than the paper ones, but filters a little worse.

ScottGT-S
08-22-2005, 04:00 AM
I have both a K&N and a eBay filter, K&N is way too noisey for me

AznKlique
08-22-2005, 04:26 AM
I have both a K&N and a eBay filter, K&N is way too noisey for me
I like that swirling air noise. I'm guessing its louder because it sucks more air in possibly. Notice any performance differences?

MoralWarfare
08-22-2005, 11:49 AM
K&N flows better than the paper ones, but filters a little worse.
where's your proof? I've read that K&N filters much better than stock/paper.

Snafu
08-22-2005, 03:57 PM
K&N and Apex'i make probably the best paper filters out there. I believe there was a test done, and the Apex'i one comes out on top. There are also foam filters, but I don't trust those as they tend to weather quite quickly.

I don't run an airfilter. I just put some aluminum screen with a hose clamp around the turbo, works well. I'll probably make an intake for the winter though.

ScottGT-S
08-22-2005, 04:59 PM
I havent noticed any performance difference yet, I switched from a K&N filter to an Apex`i rip-off filter

ScottGT-S
08-22-2005, 04:59 PM
oh and you still get that nice whistle sound, just not as annoying

gt_turbo
08-22-2005, 06:08 PM
you pay for what you get!

Luni
08-23-2005, 05:45 AM
Apexi has the best filter on the market.

Ive seen a test performed with a shopvac. I dont know where it was but youll have to trust me. They tested an apexi cone filter, a K&N filter, an HKS foam filter, a stock airbox, a stock airbox with a K&N Element filter and some other shit off a supra.

The Apexi flowed more air and filtered the best in Parts Per Million.

Next intake I get for my MR2 will be an apexi.

AznKlique
08-24-2005, 04:00 AM
Sweet thanks guys for the comments. APexi it is for me. Im just worried because right now I have my stock air box in and when I wash my car with the alltrac hood installed, I see that part of the airbox is a little wet. I dont want the intake filter to be all wet whenever it rains or when I wash my car...I should probably get a heat shield to prevent the water from dripping all over the intake.

Luni
08-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Yep, I just bought an apexi for my MR2 as well. Got it for 90 shipped with like 2k miles on it. Not too bad I guess.

Dr Tweak
08-27-2005, 10:39 AM

I saw a thread once where someone took a microscope and took pics of each filter magnified many times. The K&N filter had large holes all over the place on it, the paper filter did not show any of these holes.

The difference being, of course, that the K&N flow MORE air. But no, it does not filter better.

lavy_gts
08-27-2005, 03:28 PM

i believe he stated his proof is out of experience :slap: