PDA

View Full Version : New clutch rattling...

Dr Tweak
08-20-2005, 05:14 AM
So I road tested the 3SGTE swap I've been working on and all seems well except that I get a nastly rattle coming from the tranny when I put the clutch in. The tranny is from a Celica GT, then clutch is for a Celica GT, and the pressure plate is for a 3SGTE. The flywheel was resurfaced. They are all new parts, and I did replace the throwout bearing. I've done plenty of Toyota clutches before and never had a problem. Any thoughts?

The mechanic who did the exhaust on it today said that it's common with new clutchs and that it goes away usually. It does in fact come and go, like after I use it for a few minutes it goes away but then it will come back.

My first thought is that there is still air in the line and I'll bleed it out more tomrrow, but still, that shouldn't cause it to rattle....

Snafu
08-20-2005, 06:35 AM
What kind of clutch is it? my buddy got a 6 puck clutch with a heavier duty pressure plate and it would "chatter." It went away after about 1000 miles, but every once and a while it will chatter a bit.

Supposidly a clutch with "pucks" needs to seat into the flywheel. Until it's done that, chatter is pretty normal.

Dr Tweak
08-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Just an OEM clutch, it's a pretty agressive rattle too.

Lagos
08-20-2005, 07:23 AM
my act made some noise...and now my 6puck spec chatters sometimes too. the sound goes away when i put the clutch in. many mr2oc guys complain about this too, and im starting to think that its totally normal.

if yours is really bad, maybe something came loose? did you torque the fly wheel to spec and use loctite on the bolts? did you grease up the imput shaft and clutch fork? clean everything with brake parts cleaner?

Dr Tweak
08-20-2005, 07:40 AM
my act made some noise...and now my 6puck spec chatters sometimes too. the sound goes away when i put the clutch in. many mr2oc guys complain about this too, and im starting to think that its totally normal.

if yours is really bad, maybe something came loose? did you torque the fly wheel to spec and use loctite on the bolts? did you grease up the imput shaft and clutch fork? clean everything with brake parts cleaner?

Yeah I read your thread on that on both forums. I did tighten everything right, I kept everything very clean and did not use brake cleaner, I did grease the shaft (where do you grease the fork), now that i think of it though I'm not sure if I did use locktite... I think I did but I can't remember...

At any rate, if bleeding the brakes doesn't take care of it, it looks like I'll be dropping the tranny. :(

Apostle
08-20-2005, 08:34 AM
My new CenterForce dual friction clutch rattles a bit depends on how I engage and disengage, for some reason if I aggresively stomp and let go, I don't hear the rattle, but when I step on the clutch like a normal human being and let go I hear rattles coming from the clutch. I put about 1k into the new clutch and wondering if it's ever gonna go away.

Murgatroy
08-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Clutch chatter is normal until everything seats and finds a happy harmony within it's new confines. If it hasn't gone away in 1000 miles then there might be a problem. But I am inclined to think it is just the clutch seating.

Dr Tweak
08-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Well today I started it to move it out of the garage, and it would rattle when I stepped on the pedal a little and when I stepped on it all the way it would make a horrible grinding noise. I've done clutches before and never had a problem, I sure don't think it's normal. So I dropped the tranny out, I didn't have time to check it out but at least it's all apart now.

My buddy said that maybe I put the TOB on backwards which I was hoping was all it was, but it is on correctly. Moday I'll pop the pressure plate off and see what's up.

-Doc

Lagos
08-21-2005, 06:03 AM
yeah sounds like an install error or bad part... maby you put the clutch disk in backwards? on my car, i can hear a faint rattle, but it goes away when i step on the clutch pedal...i think thats the normal chatter people reportr hearing.. keep us posted on what you find out

Lagos
08-21-2005, 06:14 AM
oh i just remembered....if your presureplate is oem, make sure u clean it with brake parts cleaner this time. they coat the disk with some type of oil so it will look fresh during shipping/storage that you have to clean off. i didnt clean mine off when i 1st did my cluch and had some sliping issues later

Dr Tweak
08-21-2005, 06:29 AM
yeah sounds like an install error or bad part... maby you put the clutch disk in backwards? on my car, i can hear a faint rattle, but it goes away when i step on the clutch pedal...i think thats the normal chatter people reportr hearing.. keep us posted on what you find out

I know that's on right since it will only go on one way (the pressure plate won't tighten down the other way).

Thanks for the tip on the coating, I'll be sure to clean them with brake cleaner this time around :)

Dr Tweak
08-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Okay I pulled the clutch off today and now I'm even more confused. Everything looks 100% correct.

I'm using the TOB from the 5SFE clutch kit, which fits right on and contacts the pressure plate correctly. It is brand new and appear so be working fine. The clutch fork is the stock 5SFE one which seems to be working just fine. The pressure plate is a Toyota 3SGTE unit which fits right. The clutch plate is the 5SFE unit and everything looks right (it only can go on one way). The flywheel is the stock 3SGTE peice which was resurfaced. There was no foreign material in the housing. All of the bolts were tight. There was no evidence of unusual metal on metal contact.

Am I using all the right parts? Am I missing something?

The day before I pulled it apart the sound got even worse. It was rattling when I would push the clutch pedal down a little bit, and when I pushed it all the way down it would make a horrible grinding noise.

Lagos
08-22-2005, 03:05 AM
hmm that is some strange shit... the only thing i can think of is that the toyota PP is usually remanufactured, so maybe there is a defect with that?

alltracman78
08-22-2005, 03:30 AM
How is the transmission itself?

Dr Tweak
08-22-2005, 04:49 AM
Yeah it is a reman part, I wonder if that's it... it seems fine, is there a way to check it? The tranny seems okay too, I mean the car drives just fine, it's just makes a horrible rattling and grinding when the clutch is engaged...

hmmm...

Lagos
08-22-2005, 05:28 AM
horrible rattling and grinding when the clutch is engaged you mean, disengaed aka pedel pressed in, right?

there is some good info in here on cluch and pp inspection/install

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/94_6gmanual/clutch.pdf

Dr Tweak
08-22-2005, 05:56 AM
pedal in = clutch engaged. :) I read the BGB on the clutch, sadly, they don't have much on diagnosing the sounds... heheh

macavely
08-22-2005, 07:31 AM
your going t get noise from a gt clutch ... i get it alot then it goes away after like 5-10 minutes of drivig annd i have put 20k miles on the clutch already

alltracman78
08-22-2005, 11:37 AM
I wish I was up there to look at it.
It's hard sometimes to diagnos this stuff over the internet.

Dr Tweak
08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
I wish I was up there to look at it.
It's hard sometimes to diagnos this stuff over the internet.

What would you look for? I'm putting the clutch back together later today but it's all apart right now...

Snafu
08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm thinking it's a bad slave/master. Did it just grind when you put the pedal in, or where you trying to put it in gear?

alltracman78
08-22-2005, 04:04 PM
What would you look for? I'm putting the clutch back together later today but it's all apart right now...

Just want to see it all apart, see how it looks.

When it's back together, see how it operates.

Hard to say sometimes. Things just look wrong to me when I look at them sometimes.

Dr Tweak
08-22-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking it's a bad slave/master. Did it just grind when you put the pedal in, or where you trying to put it in gear?

Only when I put the pedal in. Could that be it? Why would a bad slave or master cause it to chatter and grind?

alltracman78
08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
If it's not disengaged all the way, it can scrape/grind.
And possibly chatter.
My master cyl is a little weak right now, so the clutch doesn't quite disengage, and it's a bitch to get into first, plus you can hear the clutch plate scraping.

Lagos
08-23-2005, 04:34 AM
maybe you just needed a clutch pedal adjustment?

Dr Tweak
08-23-2005, 04:43 AM
Well today I took everything apart and checked it all out, cleaned everything, and put it all back together. The clutch is now working 100% with no noises or problems! :) I did not find any installation errors, but when I removed the flywheel I found a small spot on the black metal cover that's behind the flywheel that showed some metal on metal contact. (The cover was bent in a little). I bent it back out and now it's fine, so possibly that was the problem.

The odd thing is that it only made the noise when the clutch was engaged.... does the flywheel bend outwards when the pressure from the clutch is put onto it (pedal down)?

alltracman78
08-23-2005, 08:08 AM
The odd thing is that it only made the noise when the clutch was engaged.... does the flywheel bend outwards when the pressure from the clutch is put onto it (pedal down)?

When the pedal is pushed down, it releases the pressure from the clutch pressure plate onto the flywheel through the clutch disc.
The clutch is disengaged at this point.

Was there any marks on the flywheel?

Dr Tweak
08-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Not on the face, I didn't really check the back of it out.

alltracman78
08-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Back is where it would rub.

Are you on duty tonite?

Dr Tweak
08-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah I know, I wasn't concerned so I never checked it out. I tapped the cover back with a hammer and it was good to go.

Yeah, otherwise I'd be in bed with my beautiful naked wife. :D

alltracman78
08-23-2005, 08:38 AM
STFU

bastard.

:D

Dr Tweak
08-23-2005, 08:46 AM
You too eh? :P

alltracman78
08-23-2005, 08:49 AM
yep....

At least I get half a day tomorrow. :)

96celica
08-23-2005, 03:17 PM
my 7afe rattles rediculously when i let my pedal out and starting to move :/

Dr Tweak
08-24-2005, 04:39 AM
Does it go away after the clutch is all the way out?