PDA

View Full Version : Adding keyless entry

dan93st
08-09-2005, 10:07 PM
I was looking into adding a keyless entry system to my car soon. From the information I can find, it looks decently easy to hook up. Need constant power, switched power, ground, all that jazz looks simple enough, as I'm used to doing stereo installs. Now...The splicing into the switches doesnt look too bad either. I'd just have to use a multimeter to figure out which wires run to the door lock switches. The lock "brain" is under the stereo there, so that shouldn't be too difficult to get to. For parking lights, I seem to remember a post about a green wire in the driver side kick panel somewhere, but I couldn't find that when I searched...Either way, I don't anticipate much trouble finding that. Any suggestions for hooking up the horn output?

But...the real reason I'm posting is a concern I have about how the locks in the car operate. Normally, the lock and unlock buttons do just that. Now...Say I stop to get gas, I always have a habit of locking the car when i get out. I'll reach back into the car, to hit the power unlock button, but it wont unlock anymore. The lock button still functions. It's like the unlock feature "times out" after the car is off for awhile. The only way I can unlock the car then is with the key or the manual lock toggle. Is this behavior normal? Or is my lock controller "brain" screwed up? Also, I would imagine that the unlock switch not working would pose a problem for the keyless system, as the keyless unit would mimic the press of the switch, activating the relay, and unlocking the door. I'm not explaining this very well, I know, but hopefully somebody can make sense out of it and tell me what's going on.

alltracman78
08-10-2005, 12:24 AM
It is a problem.
Depending on what it is, it could cause a problem with the keyless entry.
If it's just the button itself, or the wiring before where you jump in the KE, you're fine. If it's the ecu, or something after the KE, you've got a problem.

david in germany
08-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Here is what I do for the connections, Do you have an aftermarket radio in the car? If so tap that harness for the power, ground, switched power, and lights. The horn you will need to track down. The problem you have sounds like a problem with the brain though.

Mike 89GTS
08-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah - the horn wire's green/red and can be found
under the steering column. Every write-up I found said
the horn wire was green but in my car (89 GTS) it's
not so just thought I'd give you the heads-up!

It's a pretty straight forward job.

Mike_89GTS

P.S. - Oops! I just realized you got a 93ST there.
Yours might be wwwaaayyy different???
Just use you trusty DMM and you'll be fine!

dan93st
08-10-2005, 07:34 PM
The problem you have sounds like a problem with the brain though.

Ok...so you think it is malfunctioning? I just wasnt sure if it was normal for it to do that or not. The only reason I think that is because if it is malfunctioning, it's doing so consistently.

alltracman78
08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah - the horn wire's green/red and can be found
under the steering column. Every write-up I found said
the horn wire was green but in my car (89 GTS) it's
not so just thought I'd give you the heads-up!

P.S. - Oops! I just realized you got a 93ST there.

Yeah, 5th g is green.

dan93st
08-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Ok...I'm working on finding another power lock relay controller box... One other question... What about hooking into the dome light...any suggestions for where to find that?

smoothtuner
08-11-2005, 06:44 AM
My lock does that too I believe.

acidice333
08-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Mine does that also... altho if you press the unlock a bunch of times it will eventually work... or maybe it was when I pressed lock, then unlock... shit even lock doesnt work sometimes (notice when I remote lock, sometimes it doesnt lock) ...

haha maybe that was the hint of smoke that came out of my center column was when I was wiring up my window-rollup wire =/ now I am waiting for another alarm system I bought.. I think mine is messed up, doesnt seem to detect a tach signal so it keeps running the starter.. oh well only $90 for the same 2way remote start system.

dan93st
08-19-2005, 05:04 AM
Update...Keyless entry installed and working!

The lock wire was blue/black, just tapped into that and all was well.

I found out that my lock brain wasnt malfunctioning, as I replaced it and it still does the same thing. Here's how it works. Lock doors with key out of ignition, and close the door, and it disables the unlock button. So...For the unlock, I tapped into the lock switch wire, and the wire that is active when you turn the drivers side key twice to the side. Then I used a IN4001 diode on each wire to prevent the wrong one from being activated when you use the key in the door or something. Only annoyance with this is you have to hit the unlock button on the remote twice to unlock the doors sometimes. I was quite surprised that tapping the illumination lead for the stereo does turn on the parking lights, but it also causes the door alarm to sound when the keyless system is activated with the door open. Oh well, I can live with that. For the dome light, I hooked a relay up. Trigger from the alarm brain to the relay, the relay needed constant power and ground, and I spliced the relay output into the wire that's connected to the switch that tells if the door is open or not, which turns on the dome light. I used the passenger side switch, as the drivers side switch causes that annoying buzzer to sound telling you your parking lights are on due to the alarm brain. Hope this info might be helpful to anyone else who is trying to install their alarm or keyless system.

1992-ST
08-26-2005, 04:24 AM
Is it possible to install keyless entry or an alarm without already having power locks? My instinct says not without converting to a power lock system, but I don't know alot about car electronics beyond stereos.

dan93st
08-26-2005, 08:09 AM
You could install an alarm into a car with manual locks. The alarm remote would just arm/disarm the system, and you'd still have to lock/unlock the doors with the key. All the other alarm functions should work as they would otherwise on a car with power locks. A system that's keyless entry only wouldn't really do much on a car without power locks.