PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage

locker
08-05-2005, 06:00 AM
I know this has been covered time and time again but since I swapped the 5sfe into my 1991 Camry (3sfe) I have been getting some of the most amazing gas mileage I have ever sceen.

I've gone though two complete tanks of gas where I've gotten 700km to a 50L fill up. (435 miles to 13.2 Gallons) 33mpg

Now I've always got less than 500km to a tank in my celica. So Im wondering if it is due to A) an auto tranny so Im not beating the car half as bad or B) the fuel mapping is different between the 5sfe and 3sfe making the car run lean.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else got this kind of mileage from a 5sfe?

locker
08-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Oh yeah... the swap was a short block swap. so everything except the block and head are 3sfe... including the valve cover!

mighty
08-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Yeah ive noticed that when i drive my celica its manuel i use alot more gas, cause im shifting at 5000 rpms ??!!!, and when i drove my buddies celica to LAX i noticed his gas gauge didnt move , so i think its because of the tranny!!!!
:bigthumbu

davlee
08-12-2005, 02:58 AM
I've had my car (manual trans.) for about 3-4 tanks... mixed driving I'm getting 27-28 MPG. On the last tank (all highway, A/C on more than half the time) I got 33 MPG. That's twice what my POS Nissan truck gets, and the Celica puts out almost as much power. :ugh:

locker
08-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Wow 33mpg with the AC on thats nuts. The most I ever got out of my 1991 GTS was 525km to about 50L... guess it just goes to show how much nicer I am to the camry

davlee
11-16-2005, 07:52 AM
I've had my car (manual trans.) for about 3-4 tanks... mixed driving I'm getting 27-28 MPG. On the last tank (all highway, A/C on more than half the time) I got 33 MPG.

Just an addendum to this...

I've since put new wheels and tires on the car (205/45/16 Yokohamas on Voxx wheels vs. stock-sized Blizzaks on Borbets). They are of course heavier, and are also noticeably taller. I can't say which is more a factor -- weight or increased diameter -- but I'm now only indicating about 25 MPG under "normal" driving, with a best of about 26.5. I haven't had a chance to do an all-freeway tank yet.

Sean
11-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Since they're noticably taller you probably threw off your odometer/speedometer as well.

Measure the diameter of the tire wheel combo, and compare it to stock. For instance my tires throw my odometer off nearly 10 percent! This could account for a large part of your gas mileage variance.

Point on topic, mileage is going to vary based upon electronics running, drag, tire pressures, ambient air temperature, time of day (ambient temp again) that you filled up the tank (cold air provides more gas molocules per gallon), the condition of your engine, your most recent tune up, and obviously how hard you are on your engine.

I know it shouldnt have ANY impact on gas mileage, but I seriously net 60 miles less per trip whenever I fill up from Chevron, and I cant figure it out for the life of me!

Later

Lagos
11-16-2005, 08:22 AM
kind of odd that car makers always report higher gas milage in manuals then autos. it seems the auto tranny does a better job at gas milage because it shifts you into overdrive to save gas.... not as fun to drive as a manual tho ! :)

OldUsedCelica
11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
um sean... the reason why you net less when you fill at chevron is because of the same reason you get crappier gas miliage using mid/super unleaded... less power because of the ethanol and detergient they add to the gas. Less power = more gas.

I always notice this problem when I try to use mid grade unleaded in my Celi.

Summit
11-22-2005, 10:33 PM
OldUsedCelica restate that phrase one more time again pls ?? make it clearer and cleaner I missing something it doesnt sound right to me

Sean
11-23-2005, 01:17 AM
um sean... the reason why you net less when you fill at chevron is because of the same reason you get crappier gas miliage using mid/super unleaded... less power because of the ethanol and detergient they add to the gas. Less power = more gas.

I always notice this problem when I try to use mid grade unleaded in my Celi.

Ethanol is a carbon chain that is even more flammable then gasoline (not quite as flammable as octane itself) I really dont see how the addition of it could deter combustion. But yes, perhaps there is something different from one stations 92 octane, to another.

slvrblt
11-23-2005, 01:40 AM
From what I have heard is that ethanol does not have the same amount of energy that gasoline has. So for the car to make the same amount of power on ethanol as on gasoline more ethanol has to be burned.

Sean
11-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Meh, either way, i just dont get gas there :hehe:

hobbie2k
11-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Getting about 26mpg in my Honda right now...but I do drive pretty fast, and it's winter so the car has to warm up, and it has a bad bearing, warped rotors, and a bad ring...

My '91 Sentra used to get 42mpg on the run from Brainerd, MN to Grand Forks, ND...