PDA

View Full Version : Alternator acting up.... AGAIN *RANT*

Luis C
08-04-2005, 03:56 AM
BACKGROUND:
December 04: I changed the IC regulator (or voltage regulator) and rectifier in due to battery drain and some voltage woes (dimming lights and the works). Used some brand by the name of Transpo (I was broke and could not afford Toyota OEM parts) X-mas was close so I need the car to be roadworthy until I had the money to buy Toy OEM parts.

May 20th 05: during a short trip the battery starts to drain again, I take to a shop where I'm at that moment. Shop monkey says the stator (I think thats the name for the copper winding you can see from the outside with the Alt on its place) is cooked so electricity cannot be effectively produced. So I agree by the looks of the part. Since its a small city on a saturday morning (shops usually work until 12:00 PM) and the Toyota dealership is closed the stator gets replaced by some no-brand part.

I leave the shop with the BAT light still ON and made the shop owner notice since I did not think that was normal, he explained that it was probably the regulator that was bad due to the faulty stator, but that it would hold until I got home the next day... I wish.

5 minutes after leaving the shop the car stops cold on it's tracks and the battery is completly dead, I call the shop and talk to the owner speaking my mind out, he sent someone to help us and take the car back to the shop. After checking he reconned the regulator did not hold so I would have to change it. He did not carry any Toyota OEM IC regulator, to make matters worse it was already 1:00 PM so he says that he is doing me a favor for taking the car again, so he uses the same shit Transpo part . He said that the brand is ok and that regulator would last a year at least... my second wish.

TODAY:
It's doing it again. It looks like I'm never going to have this thing solved.
I was returning from an aunts house when the Bat light started going on and off, I check the Voltmeter and realized that voltage was dropping below 13V, when the needle was above 13V the BAT light would go off, if under then it was back on.
This happened while going at 80-90 KPH on a highway and it didn't matter if I reved the engine or not because the light was going on and off. In one of those the voltmeter jumped to 16V and then back to 13.5V, I got several voltage spikes until I got home.

So here I am... again... with a busted alternator. I'm betting both of my nuts that the regulator took a hike... AGAIN. This time I'm buying Toyota OEM parts, no more shitty blueprint electricals, they suck and Toyota electricals are too delicate to handle shitty stuff. It's going to cost me an arm and a leg for the IC regulator, rectifier and stator but at least I think I'll forget about alternator issued for awhile..... I just hope that the rotor is ok or else I'm going to have to sell one of my kidneys.

Has this happened to any of you using non OEM parts or do I have some electrical gremlin going on thats damaging the IC regulator or was the stator actually the culprit for frying the first IC that I installed in December? :wtf:

(http://www.transpo-usa.com)

Luni
08-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Yeah dude.

Exact same thing happened to me.

I had to go with an OEM alternator and that fixed it right away.

Never have a toyota alternator rebuilt. I dont know what the hell their problem is but nobody can get the damn things right.

Luis C
08-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I took the alternator to a shop to get it checked. They guy said they had the alternator up on a bench for over half hour running and that it did not have any problems, he suggested I took the car to check as there may be a faulty ground or a hot wire.. When will this ever stop ? :(

Luni
08-09-2005, 07:01 AM
The battery light on the dash is ground induced. Meaning it comes on when a ground is NOT met. On mine, in the harness coming off the diagnostics box going to the alternator, there was a short/broken wire and the mechanic had to trace out the short and fix that. After he did that my shit works perfect now. Check the wires coming off the harness. Make sure the same thing didnt happen to you.

Luis C
08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Thaks Luni, the car is already at the shop since yesterday morning. I suspected something like a lousy ground might be the culprit and checked around on Sunday and nothing was loose. I'll give the electro shop a call this afternoon and see whats up.

Luni
08-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Mine was a fault in the wire itself. So it wasnt noticeable. He had to trace it with a continunity tester to find it.