PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Maintenance

dontmaytagme
08-03-2005, 07:12 PM
I want to be able to back flush my radiator.. i bought a cheapo penzoil kit.. it says to cut the tubbing of the heat intake. Umm.. that doesn't sound too intelligent. It does come with three T's and two hose clamps. Ok, so, I've looked at it.. Which is the heat intake?

From the firewall, two hoses go to the engine.. one appears to lead to the engine directly. The other appears to go somewhere else? I think the hose I would like to splice is the 'Other' hose.

What dangers exists in doing this? How many of you's'es have done this yourself?

Also, /where/ is the radiator drain plug? I've looked at pictures until my eyes become dry.. and I cannot find it on the radiator assembly. If I remove my bumper am I able to see it easier?

Any help is appreciated.

ja.

James D.
08-03-2005, 11:35 PM
dude, you dont have to go with all that hussle, make sure the engine is really cold, theres a drain plug on the radiator on the drivers side fan area, its white.

open your coolant resorvior (this is where you will refill this with water and coolant)

drain it until its gone then plug it back up

now under your hood there is a full instruction on how to refill it with water and coolant, reving is required in this procedure.

feel free to ask questions

Smaay
08-04-2005, 01:47 AM
bleeding the cooling system is a real bitch...i highly dont recommend draining the system unless you absolutly need it...if you have a 7th gen then the car at the most is 5 years old, thats not long enough to need a flush...ok i see you have an 01 GT...so unless you have to, dont do it...again its a real bitch to bleed the sytem

James D.
08-04-2005, 02:06 AM
this is true

Lagos
08-04-2005, 07:57 PM
are you guys sure u need to bleed the cooling system on a celica? i was reading through the bgb for the 6th gen and it said no specific bleeding is needed since the pressure cap would just let the bubbles out into the overflow tank and it would bleed itself.

dontmaytagme
08-05-2005, 02:00 AM
I had the system bled at 60k miles.. I am at 106k presently. Yes, the celica is a 2001 GT, with really no mods excepted the ECU. Should I just drain it and refill instead of bleeding and backflushing the entire system?

Galcobar
08-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Got your owner's manual handy?

If not, Toyota offers maintenance schedules on its website. Remember that they changed their protocols a few years back, so that instead of waiting until whatever fluid it is shows signs of breaking down, they change it at fixed time/distance intervals.

dontmaytagme
08-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Got your owner's manual handy?

If not, Toyota offers maintenance schedules on its website. Remember that they changed their protocols a few years back, so that instead of waiting until whatever fluid it is shows signs of breaking down, they change it at fixed time/distance intervals.

Quite true, and I was not aware that a change in maintenance schedule had occured. However, I also don't bother with them. I do not think that I fit the normal user/driver protocol that they see in the shop. I've 106k miles on a 2001 GT.. I had this specific maintenance item done at 60k.. I just think that it is a Good Thing to do at this moment.. why would anyone really want to wait for the fluid to even show signs of breaking down? To me, that isnt true preventive medicine.