PDA

View Full Version : Advice on dying dashboard,carpet and seats.

GT4SOM
12-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Hey I'm going to pick up my 86 this weekend and the guy selling it to me said that the dashboard wasn't crack but only faded. What kind of paint or dye should I use ?? I want it to last long and not look like it was dyed. Any suggestions? I'll post pics of the interior once I pic it up.

Mike431635
12-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Molecubond/Colorbond

I did my 3-spoke wheel with it and it looks/feels factory. Doesn't rub off, either. It bonds to the material.

GT4SOM
12-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Oh really. I remember seeing pics of it. Would that work on carpets and the dashboard as well? Can you post some currents pics of your project?

Mike431635
12-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Well, I talked to you about this on the phone last night but I'll post for everyone else to see.

The Colorbond will work on vinyl and plastic, but wouldn't be good for fabrics. You should use something like Fabricolor (found in Pep Boys or Autozone) for the seats, but I've never tried it. A lot of people have used VHT dye for the seats and carpet with success. Others use the clothing dye found in supermarkets that you have to mix with water. I don't recommend that though, because you have to "rinse" the dye out and there's no feasible way to do that on seats/carpet.. unless you steam clean.

Anyhow, here's some pics of the wheel:
Before-
http://hosted.docman.cc/Mike431635/thumbs/originalwheel.JPG

After-
http://hosted.docman.cc/Mike431635/thumbs/finishedwheel2.JPG
http://hosted.docman.cc/Mike431635/thumbs/finishedwheel3.JPG

I added another coat after that, and it's perfect now.

Playfortoday
12-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Mike, anyway to get the same results on leather?

Playfortoday
12-17-2004, 01:13 AM
one more thing... i thought you want to to know how to die :D It is "dyeing"

Mike431635
12-17-2004, 09:37 PM
haha Play

But yes, the Colorbond works on leather as well. I can't remember where I saw it, but I have seen pics of an old Camaro (late 60's) with leather that had been dyed white with it. It looked awesome, like it came from the factory that way. The owner said it didn't smell, rub off, or fade at all either.

And just FYI to everyone, it used to be called Molecubond but the name was changed to Colorbond. They're the same formula, and the Molecubond is usually cheaper. So if you can find both of them, just remember you can mix em and get the same results.

imac
12-19-2004, 02:33 AM
i used the VHT on my seats and carpet. it takes a lot of dye to get the carpets totally done, but it looks good. the seats were pretty easy, the hardest parts being the masking (i 2-toned grey and black) and getting it all even-looking. and the VHT worked great on the fake leather on the backs of my seats.

the VHT is easy to use, but has a few downsides... it smells for a little while, the seats feel a little stiff until broken in, and has rubbed off a little on the side of one seat from where i get in, but the part that started rubbing off can easily be touched up.

my interior was lookin grimey before i dyed it, so obviously it was a huge improvement for me. but if you take your time doing it, it should turn out fine. its not hard if you put a lil effort into it, nothing harder than using a can of spraypaint.

dman
12-19-2004, 11:29 PM
hey mike would the colorbond/molecubond work on the seats also? any pics

Mike431635
12-20-2004, 12:23 AM
I don't think it would work well on fabric, as I mentioned above. The only pics I have of the stuff is on the steering wheel above.

And Nelson, after riding in the AE86 today and putting together (with duct tape) the interior, I don't think you should worry about the dash being faded. It's pimp just how it is.

dman
12-20-2004, 03:19 AM
anyone know which specific dye/spray that i should use besides vht? and also how many cans would i need for each seat?

Tommy91GT
12-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Over time dyed fabric fades. The spray stuff is ok,, but it gets stiff, and comes off from rubbing (IE getting in and out). I am gettinf ready to redo my rear seats in suede. Easily done by:
1 removing seat cover
2 label inside so you know were each peace fits
3 unstitch seams
4 cut fabric to match
5 sew onto existing fabric
6 re sew seams
7 put cover back on

I've done in for 5 other cars and it comes out nice and you don't have to worry about ruboff or getting in wet and changing the color of what you are wearring.

AznKlique
12-24-2004, 07:21 AM
That sounds like a good idea, but where can you find good quality suede at?

Tommy91GT
12-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Do a google for fabric stores. Shop around. If you have a Fabric store close by check them out.