PDA

View Full Version : ST205 Brakes on a ST184 or ST185

PerSonalHell
12-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Has anyone put st205 front brakes on a st185?

Any info would be great. Any other options on brake upgrades would be great. I don't want to just do a rotor and pad upgrade.

Adrian Avgerinos
12-14-2004, 08:25 PM
First question: Why?

Jason Arebalo, who posts under the name "roo" over at alltrac.net and has a ST185 with lots of ST105 parts is planning to do that sort of parts swap. I don't know if he has completed the upgrade yet. Last I heard the calipers will not bolt up to the 5th gen spindle.

PerSonalHell
12-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Why not? I thought that the st205 brakes and rotors are 315mm and 4 pot calipers. That would make a great upgrade from the single pot, small rotor discs that come on our cars. Just looking to see what options i have for brake upgrades.

Mr E
12-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Why not? I thought that the st205 brakes and rotors are 315mm and 4 pot calipers. That would make a great upgrade from the single pot, small rotor discs that come on our cars. Just looking to see what options i have for brake upgrades.

They do. Big sod off vented discs and calipers to match.

You can never have too much stopping power. And to be honest, the stock brakes on a 185 aren't up to much.

I believe it has been done, but it's not easy as the discs don't want to bolt up to the hubs without some custom work.

ChrisD
12-15-2004, 02:45 AM
You need to fabricate an adaptor plate. But yes, it's been done by quite a few people.

Adrian Avgerinos
12-15-2004, 02:57 AM

Just asking. That's all. Doing something without a reason is usually not the wisest plan. I assumed you were planning some endurance racing or something of that nature. I have ST185 brakes and so far they seem to work pretty well on the track.

PerSonalHell
12-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Wasn't trying to be an ass. Just wondering.

Making the bracket is the problem. Its getting parts for them. Do you guys know anyone that has done it so i can ask some questions? Or maybe you guys will now.

What brake lines can i use? What brake pads? Do i have to get the parts (pads, rotor) from japan or the uk?

Mr E
12-16-2004, 04:45 PM
I suspect the parts would have to come from UK/Japan. As will the pads and discs.

The UK spec supra got very similar brakes. The Jap spec got weedy 2 pots. What did the US spec get? Just a thought......

Adrian Avgerinos
12-16-2004, 06:10 PM
They do. Big sod off vented discs and calipers to match.

You can never have too much stopping power. And to be honest, the stock brakes on a 185 aren't up to much.

I believe it has been done, but it's not easy as the discs don't want to bolt up to the hubs without some custom work.

While I do think you can have a braking system that is too big, I will agree that the stock 185 brakes are mediocre at best for any sort of high performance duty. Proof of this is the fact that the ST185, which weighs almost 500lbs more than the GT receives the same brakes. If nothing else, thicker rotors for the front and vented rotors for the rear would make a substantial difference.

I'm assuming Toyota finally figured this out which is the reason the ST205 received a much needed brake upgraded.

PerSonalHell
12-16-2004, 06:30 PM
I was thinking that the ST205 Brake setup would be a lot easier to mod, to make work with the st184 or 185 setup. The supra setup is a lot different then the celica setup, seeing as the hubs and spindles are different, i would think making that work would be a lot harder then trying to make the st205 brakes work on the st184/5 spindles and hubs. Right?

Mr E
12-17-2004, 11:01 AM
The supra setup is a lot different then the celica setup, seeing as the hubs and spindles are different

Is it? Damn. I thought they were similar 4 pots. I've got no idea about the hubs and spindles. Sorry.

Braded lines and a decent set of vented discs and pads do improve the 185 brakes.

They still cook on the track though.

PerSonalHell
12-17-2004, 02:40 PM
I know that the hubs and spindles are different, as for the 4 pot cali. i have no idea if there the same or not.

The main reason behind doing this is to have a nice track setup. Mainly for Auto-X, and some drag.

ChrisD
12-17-2004, 04:50 PM
There are big brake kits you can get as well. www.rocketeerperformance.com might be a good place to look.

ST205 brakes are great, yes, but finding parts can be really tough.

Kwanza
12-17-2004, 06:36 PM
It is possible to do, but the problem is the difference between the two suspension systems. The ST205 uses super struts and is completely different from the other celicas which use regular macphearsons. There will be custom fabrication to some degree to fit the calipers and rotors because the ST205 Spindles are completely different from typical MacPhearsons...

Classique71
12-23-2004, 10:21 AM
im having this done to my st185 atm

basically as far as i know its a case of machining the st205 rotor down 15 MM in diameter - putting a spacer - approx 5 mm behind the rotor to correct the caliper offset , and then threading the caliper to accept a m12 bolt - instead of bolting thru the caliper onto the mount .In very brief form this is how its done - but it need a aminimum 16 inch rim with enough spoke clearance to give space for the wider 4 pot caliper. the brake lines should mate up as well but upgradign them to a braided line would be advised.

Ive missed alot of the more finer details as im having my setup done and engineered professionally to be 100% legal

With my setup though im doing it differnelty - aiming to get the full size rotor in and not having to change offset spacing - but its well from finished

( there are more technical writeups out there - you just have to find them - theres one on our toymods forum *www.toymods.org.au - follow forum prompt * on how its done on a caldina - which is virtually the same as st185 for suspension and front brake geometry

GT4Chuck
01-03-2005, 10:54 PM
being in the US, i'd advise against it, especially if this is your daily driver... if something goes wrong, you'll have a 2-4 week wait on parts... you can easily get a setup done using supra parts or other available toyota brake parts that would allow quick access to replacement parts if need be... and it would probably be cheaper and easier... those calipers are hard to come by. you either have to swap the whole suspension or severely mod the brakes, and either way that's big $$.

Adrian Avgerinos
01-04-2005, 11:40 PM
being in the US, i'd advise against it, especially if this is your daily driver... if something goes wrong, you'll have a 2-4 week wait on parts... you can easily get a setup done using supra parts or other available toyota brake parts that would allow quick access to replacement parts if need be... and it would probably be cheaper and easier... those calipers are hard to come by. you either have to swap the whole suspension or severely mod the brakes, and either way that's big $$.

Ya, but it's JDM! :givesafuc

Classique71
01-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Unless you plan on using the car for competitions - good slotted rotors/quality pads + good fluid + braided lines would be heaps capable of normal day to day with the odd spirirted hills drive.

3S-GTE_Man
01-05-2005, 10:49 AM
i was thiniking wrx 4 psiton ones cuase...one they be much easier to find than st205...two use mcferson strut suspension as well....three the rotors on a wrx and gt-4 are 5x100 stud patern too! and would still need a adapter plate liek the st205!

and if it can work on a st185 it can work on a st162/165

Nezza :wiggle:

Adrian Avgerinos
01-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Unless you plan on using the car for competitions - good slotted rotors/quality pads + good fluid + braided lines would be heaps capable of normal day to day with the odd spirirted hills drive.

Exactly. There is a guy in town that races his 5th gen GT-S in enduro races on the stock brake setup. He is running race pads, good fluid, and some adequate brake ducting. Nothing fancy.

PerSonalHell
01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
This car is being setup for track/road course use. Thats one reason why i think that the stock brakes will not be up to the task of racing use. Even upgraded, i don't want brake fade or over heating. I know there are a lot of upgrades for the stock brakes, but i don't want stock brakes.

I've seen a couple threads on using Supra brakes, I'm going to look into every option.

CUTTING13CLOUDS
09-07-2005, 06:50 PM
There is a whole article dedicated to that in the Hyper Rev. It talks about the difficulty in swapping the calipers from an st205. They actually mention that it's too difficult a task and not worth the upgrade especially because of the "s" suspention. The road racing teams just modified brake lines and rotors and brake pads. They acheived the stopping power they wanted. If you have a stock 5th gen, swap out the rear drums for discs and upgrade the front to all trac stock. Stainless steel brake lines, kevlar pads and some motul brake fluid and you'll be set. For an st185, upgrading brake lines, pads and maybe slotted rotors is a good deal BUT keep the ABS. That car is heavy and the people that I know who road race with the cars swear by it.

p.s. the all trac pads and the stock 5th gen pads are the same from Toyota. When buying aftermarket ask for the all trac pads. If you mention 5th gen specs they will laugh at you..

Peace