PDA

View Full Version : Need help with building custom trunk layout.

Flat_Tire_72GTO
08-01-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm looking to make a custom fiberglass trunk layout for my subs and amps. I want it to fill my entire trunk, I removed everything from the front seats back. I'm looking to make two windowed boxes for my two 12s with interior mirrors. I'm thinking of a bandpass box. I'm looking to have the entire layout extend from back of the trunk to directly behind the two front seats and have my amps flush at a slant directly infront of the subs. I'm looking for someone who's skilled in fiberglassing, who wouldn't mind helping me make the setup. I'de do it alone, but I'de screw up bad and eventually give up, not to mention I don't know how to fiberglass. I realize this is going to be a big project, so I'm looking for someone who knows their sh!t and can come help me out during the weekends:D. Here are some quick pictures I sketched, sorry I don't have actual pictures I could photoshop, but hopefully this will give you a general idea.

alltracman78
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Might help if you put where you were at in your sig, so people will know.

david in germany
08-01-2005, 06:07 PM
I would recomend going to a shop if you don't have the expierence, another option is if you have any boat builders in your area get some coaching from them. Also a recomendation is to do most of your work in wood then go back and do the attachment of the main pieces in fiberglass or build the entire thing in wood and then do a fiberglass cover for strenght and for a seamless look. but be prepaired... fiberglass fibers will have you itching for weeks when you sand it!
David

Flat_Tire_72GTO
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
I live a five minute walk from Coquitlam center. My only payment is beer, food, and props. I'm on stage 2(Measurments) of the project (making them as I go along). I haven't started yet seeing as how my car is in the shop getting a new engine. I might even be willing to pay, depending on the project outcome. My plan is to do a fiberglass fit for insulation purposes and bragging rights, then doing 3/4" MDF all around to hold sound pressure. Although, I will be doing the front of the box with custom fiberglass designs. In the end, the trunk area will be carpeted, while the backseat area will be painted and coated.

vinsonbar
08-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Here is an older pic of my layout. I have better subs now and a fire ext. on the left. I also have a rope light around the box itself. This is all custom made by me. even the back dash. I am soon gonna be adding 2 more 12's and a 15 inch sub and of course some more amps. My system is currently psp ready lol.

http://www.bgoat.com/mysystem.JPG

Flat_Tire_72GTO
08-11-2005, 07:04 AM
That is basically a simpler version of what I had in mind, but I still need help doing that, I don't even have a single power tool, let alone any material to begin with.

schmooot
08-11-2005, 07:19 AM
1. :hehe: get in car.
2. Drive north about 8 hours
3. Stop and see me, I can help with tools and a bit of fiberglass know-how.

celicaguy.
08-11-2005, 08:20 AM
Feel free to ask me anything about fiberglassing and whatnot, i would help but I'm in calgary. sorry man.

lavy_gts
08-11-2005, 09:34 PM
I am doing a fiberglass enclosure as we speak, and well I have the skeleton and major "sub box assembly" completed. And well Its very discourageing, it looks like shit and does not look like its going to come out the way I want it, however in order to complete the fiberglassing you need a lot of time/patience/and effort.

It will come, so far Ive spent 60$ on my fiberglassing and will save me a lot more money. Heres the site that is helping me out the most.

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

It looks a lot easier then what it really is, however just make sure to measure, measure and measure again to make sure everything is the way you want it.

Flat_Tire_72GTO
08-13-2005, 10:43 AM
That page helped alot actually, thanks. But I still don't know where to buy the stuff? Canadian Tire, Revy, Home Depot?Not to mentio I don't know how ot use it, a friend of mine told me you have to mix the stuff with cotton and other fiberous materials like that. Oh by the way, is anyone attending the Celica meet tommorrow(Sunday)?

celicaguy.
08-23-2005, 10:54 PM
That site is helpful but i recommend that when you go to build your enclosure NOT to use fleece as it is not the best material to soak resin. If I was you I would use non-backed polyester trunk liner as it stretches easier without warping or bending your mdf frame, absorbs more resin making it harder and stronger and the best part is that it sands smooth after resined and will not fuzz up like fleece. You should be able to get your hands on this stuff at any automotive upholstery shop. Trust me you will be glad you did.