PDA

View Full Version : Alltrac alternator and mr2 dipstick?

Aust162
12-14-2004, 07:27 AM
hey guys. i just put a alltrac alternator on my swap and since the alltrac has the heat cover on the side it's really in the way of my oil dipstick! i want to use the heat cover for reasons, but what can i do? will using a alltrac dipstick help? thanks

Luni
12-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Hmm.. Dangit I know someone has dealt with this before....

Trance4c
12-14-2004, 08:39 PM
hey guys. i just put a alltrac alternator on my swap and since the alltrac has the heat cover on the side it's really in the way of my oil dipstick! i want to use the heat cover for reasons, but what can i do? will using a alltrac dipstick help? thanks

don't worry about the heat sheild on the alternator.. doesn't really do much. Thats what I'd do / have done.

Sean
12-14-2004, 10:41 PM
I took mine off a long time ago also, its probably been 3 years now. No biggie, makes changing your oil a breeze too!

Lagos
12-15-2004, 03:42 AM
i dont have that cover on mine too. no problems at all and u can change your oil filter and check the dip stick without problems.

Mike431635
12-15-2004, 05:30 AM
I don't have a shield on my alternator, but then again I don't know if the 4AFE came with one from the factory :hehe:

Aust162
12-15-2004, 07:03 AM
So take my sheild off u say? i didn't really want too becuase i have a suspicion that's how i cooked my previous GTS alternator. I did a 3hour drive in 30degrees cel heat and i think thats what killed it. so i want to make it work with it. i was reading though the archive's at celi.net and found a post from kyle and Keyroo told him how to do it.sometinhg about extending the bracket for the dipstick..

Lagos
12-15-2004, 01:12 PM
chances are your old altinator was about to die anyway. that thing was probably original and had over 10years on it?

91jdmcelica
12-17-2004, 10:29 PM
hey, im not sure on which motor your working off of? A mr2 block, gt4 block? I used the mr2 block and ran into the same problem with the alternator interfering with the oil dipstick. I had to use that bracket thats already in place for it and extend it a inch or two, it was really easy actually. you can swing the dipstick tube anywhere you need, it just matters how much you extend it and so on.

-Kyle

Aust162
12-18-2004, 07:22 AM
hey kyle, i'm using the mr2 block. when you say "Bracket", thats the one thats welded near the top of the dipstick and held onto the block with one bolt yeah?
ok i get it now, i was a bit worried that the dipstick tube itself wouldn't have any movement in it. i didn't want to have to bend it becuase it would probably snap on me..

91jdmcelica
12-18-2004, 05:35 PM
didnt snap for me! But yea, once u take that bolt of it rotates freely, youll figure it out no problem. if u have any trouble let me know, i went threw it all already!

-Kyle