PDA

View Full Version : Sweet and Sour (Lost my motor?)

nuclearhappines
12-14-2004, 06:09 AM
DRat911: life is sweet and sour
jerggy13: what now
DRat911: got my single shot on
DRat911: sounds great
DRat911: made some power, feels good
jerggy13: sweet
DRat911: on the way home i feel like it have to gas it more to keep it at 80 ...
jerggy13: ok?
DRat911: pull into a gas station
DRat911: great tapping noise
jerggy13: and then?
DRat911: i think my broken lifter may has finally given up completely ?
jerggy13: crappy
DRat911: dunno, it got me home but it's louder and it is always ticking now unlike before ...
DRat911: when i go close to 0 psi the car falls on it's face and the a/f goes lean off the gauge
DRat911: lost abunch of power now :-(
DRat911: too cold to fix it soon : )
jerggy13: crappy

Yeah ... life is sweet and sour... for those 15 minutes before i lost my 24th valve it was great, i had made some power... you hit the gas, look at the gauge and you're arleady in boost... builds boost better. Revs better .. sounds good ...looks good ... all around A experience (except for my valvetrain problem)

muffler was 50 shipped
labour including 2 3" manderel bends and 1 3"x8.75" extension was 84 dollars (got a good deal) but it took them about 2 hours to do it.

Just letting you know... i guess i'll park it as much as i can till march then i can i fix my bad lifter

Bad lifter ignored causing a broken valve spring? I dunno.
Need to find a warm garage and some time, or a mechanic and some money.

-nuke

JGS3SGE
12-14-2004, 06:21 AM
Hope its a lifter/valve train and not a rod bearing.

Mike431635
12-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Well, he said it was on its way out anyhow. Post up some pics and vids of that thing, Nuke! :)

ChrisD
12-14-2004, 06:41 AM
:(

24 valves is too many anyways. pshht. :noob: Just disconnect one. :hehe:

Sorry to hear nuke. At least it should be easy to diagnose and fix once you have the time/money.

nuclearhappines
12-14-2004, 05:33 PM
i dunno what it is yet (it got REALLY cold here in the last couple of days).

I had a collapsed hydraulic lifter that i ignored for a while. I got some used replacements with 20k on them but never got around to installing them.

I dunno what it is yet. A pair of used heads is ~350 + shipping. A top end gasket set is 300 - 500 ... not too bad considering i could sell my heads off later. I already have a timing belt / water pump /tensioner lying around.

it's just inconvenient. MY car's value drops from ~8000 to 2000 over night :).

might have to cut my losses.

Luni
12-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Dammit man.

You have the worst luck dude.

Stick with it man, dont give up now.

Sean
12-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Im with Luni, good luck man!

nuclearhappines
12-14-2004, 10:46 PM
doesn't sound that bad...drove it around a bit more (had to get some paperwork done in case i want to get a job and stay in the country)...

sound is coming from the front head (thank god) ...makes things a little easier to work on ...... on thursday it gets back up in the high 40s... so i think i'll pop the valve cover then and see whats up... if i don't see any broken valve springs i'm going to replace my lifters and see what it does.

not a rod bearing

Nope i replaced those about 3,000 miles ago. spun one last march and had it sit from march till august. ran ok from august till october. I got the bad lifter noise sometime in oct ...just haven't fixed it yet... now it got worse.

If i destroyed the valve i might get a pair of used heads and do some minor porting / gasket matching on them and put them in. It's the price of the gaskets that's going to kill me.

-nuke
(trying to stick it out)

johnL
12-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Oh my Nuke, when are you going to learn? j/k

John L.

Mister2T
12-15-2004, 01:53 AM
good luck heh.

Lagos
12-15-2004, 03:40 AM
now its time to buy a celica just to justify posting here! hahaha :)

Seanscn
12-15-2004, 03:42 AM
Nuke isn't a quitter. He's got it under control.

nuclearhappines
12-15-2004, 11:32 PM
at least 12 lifters in a 10 w 30 marinade ... we'll see tomorrow

medivh66
12-16-2004, 12:34 AM
:(

24 valves is too many anyways. pshht. :noob: Just disconnect one. :hehe:

Sorry to hear nuke. At least it should be easy to diagnose and fix once you have the time/money.
no crap, i do just fine with 12.

nuclearhappines
12-16-2004, 08:56 PM
last time i checked the sound was coming from the front of the engine ...

popped the front valve cover ... and everything looks fine ? hrm
checked the front timing marks and they are lined up together ... forgot to check them with the mark on the crank pulley... will do that tomorrow...and am gonna check timing on the rear head tomorrow as well...

have to go to work soon : (.

I hope my exhaust didn't make me run lean and damage something (plug, ringland...etc) ...

-nuke

nuclearhappines
12-17-2004, 05:31 AM
so in a few hours (tomorrow morning)

check front plugs
swap all front 12 lifters
close it up and fire it up
check oil level (although i checked a week ago and it was fine, and my stock gauge says it's good)

If that doesn't work... then i'm brewing a few ideas:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7941869714&category=33613

ChrisD
12-17-2004, 04:41 PM
:bigthumbu

Keep us updated man.

nuclearhappines
12-17-2004, 05:47 PM
11 lifters done, dropped one rocker and one new lifter so i'm cleaning/lubing those so i can put them back in...

my oil pressure has been 1 click lower than average. Even though i decided to use 15w50 this winter... i've always thought it strange... but apparently this is what i/we think happened/is going on

i have 390cc injectors instead of 360s
i have 12-14v running directly to my fuel pump at all times...
i have my EGR and a bunch of other emissions junk disabled

net result is my car is running rich. always has... recently my SAFC died, my milage dropped from 16-18city to around 10-11...

my rear o2 still cycles... dunno about the front bank ... maybe that o2 is shot and that bank is running sickly rich

either way. .. we think that i'm diluting my oil with fuel. it all comes together now... the slightly lower pressure...especially if i've been driving for a while... i let it sit for a few hours and on startup pressure is good (fuel had evaporated out of the oil?) ... diluting my oil...possibly killed some lifters, possibly seized and unsiezed a bearing (car ambigously stalled on the way to the muffler shop before this whole mess escalated)...

so i'm going to regut my mass and might redo my fuel pump rewire so it does 6/12v instead of straight 14v.

new oil
new plugs
new lifters and we're going from there.

-nuke

nuclearhappines
12-19-2004, 09:08 AM
drove it today...

head noise is reduced alot, maybe i slightly fixed the problem ...

but my car is suck a bich ...

I think i also have a shot rear motor mount.
I have no flex sections at all in my exhaust (ATR DP + Custom cat back). It seems that i busted a motor mount on the way back from teh muffler place. This caused my exhaust to snap somewhere under the car (not sure yet but i can hear it)... the exhaust leak explains why the car runs like ass between 8" of vacuum and 2psi (turbulance)...

Some how at the same time one of my front lifters seized/wasn't performing perfectly... giving off the noise in the front head, the noise was amplified by the exhaust leak...

so gotta fill out my spare mounts, replace the mounts and return to the performance shop to have the dp fixed....

troubles...

nuclearhappines
12-20-2004, 06:19 AM
mounts filled and sitting to cure. pretty easy job :)

weather will be back up around 45 degrees on tues/wed so i may get to install these

ChrisD
12-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Sweet. After Christmas is done is I will be ordering some poly from mcmaster carr. Can't wait. Did you cut out the existing rubber from the mount, or just fill around it?

nuclearhappines
12-20-2004, 04:43 PM
chris

the tranny mount and the rear mount were busted

i gutted most of the rubber out of them, i left a little bit in to make sure the center metal pipe/groove stayed in the correct alignmet. So there is a thin strip of rubber that goes across holding the pin in the center... The rest is all filler.

I used the PL adhesive caulk that i linked to in the other thread.

and i filled the whole thing up on both those mounts.... (now i hear that maybe i should've done it in layers instead of filling it all at once to make sure it hardens all the way through... dunno : / ...we'll see ... if they're not perfect the vr4 will distroy them in no time (~450ft-lbs of torque)

The front mount i recieved was not busted. Which made it look like it would be extremely hard to gut (ours are almost solid mounts stock... there's only 1 small gap in the entire mount) ... but then the width of the rubber was only about half the width of the metal ring surrounding

so i filled the one gap one the side of the mount and i also topped off the rest of the mount with urethan so that urethan fills up the rest of the space inside the metal.

Last night it was luquidish/tacky
this morning it was rubbery you'd press on it and feel some tension in it...

waiting to see how hard it gets.

-nuke

nuclearhappines
12-28-2004, 08:53 PM
rod knock

-nuke

Luni
12-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Dude what the hell.

Snafu
12-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Fucking christ almighty.