PDA

View Full Version : Plugged the EGR

Almira
07-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Okay, I'm new at this and I don't know a whole lot. I took my car to a mechanic because my vacuum line that was connected to the EGR valve and the EGR VM kept popping out. I took it to the same mechanic 3 times because it kept doing it. After replacing the TPS the vacuum line popped out again. So this time I took it to a different mechanic. Well he informs me "yata.yata,yata". That means I don't remember what he said. All I remember is he told that the EGR is not doing what it's supposed to be doing. He then told me that I had 2 choices. I can either buy a new one or I can have it plugged. I asked him what he would do and he said that he would plug it up since all it's really for is emissions. And since we don't have emissions testing here then it would be pointless to have it. So I took his his suggestion and had him plug it. Which btw was him taking a pair of pliers and denting the hole shut.
So my question is ... Was that the smart thing?
Please don't rag on me. I really don't have a clue about these things.

Thanks

Adrian Avgerinos
07-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Got any pictures? Without seeing what was done, it's hard to speculate.

Punisher
07-18-2005, 10:03 PM
sounds good

Almira
07-19-2005, 04:03 AM
sorry no pictures. don't have a digital camera. i can take one on my regular camera but it will be awhile before i get it developed. i have noticed though that it runs a lot smoother. i'm just worried that it'll blow up on me or something

42qn30
07-19-2005, 05:41 AM
Should all be good. I bought a kit from a guy a while ago and the car runs much smoother. Your just killing animals by raising the the CO2 levels in the atmosphere and raising the average temperature.

Almira
07-19-2005, 05:59 AM
oh my bad. i didn't know that. told you i didn't know much. so i guess i should just go ahead and replace the thing. although i did talk to my co-worker and he works at TLE area and he said alot of the customers cars (when he looks under the hood) EGR valve is plugged here. i guess it's an oklahoma thing.
hmmmm i'm not saying it justifies my action.
btw ... what's a kit?

42qn30
07-19-2005, 06:56 AM
just kidding. you can keep it off and be fine. :laugh:

Adrian Avgerinos
07-19-2005, 04:52 PM
oh my bad. i didn't know that. told you i didn't know much. so i guess i should just go ahead and replace the thing. although i did talk to my co-worker and he works at TLE area and he said alot of the customers cars (when he looks under the hood) EGR valve is plugged here. i guess it's an oklahoma thing.
hmmmm i'm not saying it justifies my action.
btw ... what's a kit?

The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) lowers NOX gases in your exhaust by reducing the combustion temperatures. It does this by re-routing some exhaust back into the engine. It operates at partial throttle position, like when you are tooling around town. The engine is designed with this cooling method in mind. If you block off the pipe, the combustion temperatures go up which raises NOX levels. More importantly, it may cause your engine to ping, or detonate. This may require you to use higher octane fuel to counteract this issue. Pinging sounds like a beebee in an empty paint can. If you hear this sound under heavy load (going up a hill), or while accelerating, then you may want to fix the EGR system, or try running 89 octane fuel.

alltracman78
07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
If he's knocking under heavy load, it shouldn't be from the EGR [unless he's trying to go up the hill at 2500rpms....]. It operates only under partial throttle.

Punisher
07-19-2005, 05:24 PM
who the fuck cares.. in a 100 years the earths temperature is expected to raise 3C..

Personally.. I'm a bible man and I don't see another 100yrs for this planet..

Adrian Avgerinos
07-19-2005, 06:32 PM
who the fuck cares.. in a 100 years the earths temperature is expected to raise 3C..

Personally.. I'm a bible man and I don't see another 100yrs for this planet..

How is this relevant?

alltracman78
07-19-2005, 08:45 PM
I am guessing he is expressing his lack of concern with pollution..........