PDA

View Full Version : Underdrive Pulleys

Super Shadow
07-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Anyone looking for underdrive pulleys for their 4A-FEs check this site out.
http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm
The pulley is listed under Corolla 1.6L 4A-FE Since that engine is nearly iidentical to ours maybe its worth checking out.

bloodredgt
07-17-2005, 09:29 PM
I've heard a lot of talk about underdrive pulleys, but the general concensus is that underdrive pulleys are not good for the engine in the long run.

Punisher
07-18-2005, 01:52 AM
Yea.. if you care about your main bearings you won't go underdrive crank pulley.

ray_sir_6
07-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Or you can ignore the myths and run it on your motor for 65k+ miles without ANY problems. I did.

Adrian Avgerinos
07-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Or you can ignore the myths and run it on your motor for 65k+ miles without ANY problems. I did.

What myth? Nobody I know has stated your engine will explode instantly with a lightweight undamped crank pulley installed.

Punisher
07-18-2005, 10:05 PM
You sure there were no problems? Did you pull the oil pan and check the crank/main bearings? I've read up on plenty of people who used lightweight pulleys and blew their shit.

cosmic_sombrero
08-11-2005, 05:30 PM
I wonder. . . with a proffesional machine shop at my disposal and proffesional machinists that specialize in making presicion parts for tokamac nuclear fusion reactors (like helicity injected torroids and other uber-precise parts), could I change the diameter and lighten the stock crank pulley while keeping the harmonic balancer?

I've never looked at the crank pulley on the 5sfe, so I don't really have any idea how feasible this would be.

P.S. I love being a physics student at the UW.

caneman
08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I wonder. . . with a proffesional machine shop at my disposal and proffesional machinists that specialize in making presicion parts for tokamac nuclear fusion reactors (like helicity injected torroids and other uber-precise parts), could I change the diameter and lighten the stock crank pulley while keeping the harmonic balancer?

I've never looked at the crank pulley on the 5sfe, so I don't really have any idea how feasible this would be.

P.S. I love being a physics student at the UW.

Uh-Huh ... And I wonder what project's budget line THAT extracurricular activity would be written up to? Not to any GOVERNMENT PROJECTS, I trust?

Hello, Senator McCain? I've got some info for you ... ;)

BTW, can you whip up some custom SS headers for some of your closest 5SFE friends? You CAN?

... Never mind, Senator McCain. ;)

Snafu
08-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Eh, my buddy ran one on his car (not a celica) for about 60k miles. No probs what so ever. DSM guys remove their harmonic balancer all the time for more power. If a motor grenaded that easily, I'm sure they would stop doing it. Thanks for the find ;)

cosmic_sombrero
08-11-2005, 05:55 PM
No, it would be budgeted to me or the Mary Gates Endowment ($1500/quarter for research students, care of Mr. Gates)

Adrian Avgerinos
08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Eh, my buddy ran one on his car (not a celica) for about 60k miles. No probs what so ever. DSM guys remove their harmonic balancer all the time for more power. If a motor grenaded that easily, I'm sure they would stop doing it. Thanks for the find ;)

That's some of the worst technical information I've ever heard. :slap:

cosmic_sombrero
08-11-2005, 06:06 PM
We need an "I'm with Adrian" smilie, and I'm at work so I can't make one.

caneman
08-11-2005, 08:18 PM
No, it would be budgeted to me or the Mary Gates Endowment ($1500/quarter for research students, care of Mr. Gates)

I'm assuming that you were serious ...

Whatever else you think of Mr. Gates and his products, you have to hand it to him. If the REALLY wealthy would give back some of their money the way the Gates family does, we could solve a lot of the world's problems.

Including how to make a GEN5 cupholder that doesn't keep popping out! ;)

Snafu
08-11-2005, 08:22 PM
That's some of the worst technical information I've ever heard. :slap:

And this is one of the worst posts I've ever read. I'm just letting him know my experiences with underdrive pullies. I know you're an asshole, but is this really necessary?

Adrian Avgerinos
08-11-2005, 08:45 PM
And this is one of the worst posts I've ever read. I'm just letting him know my experiences with underdrive pullies. I know you're an asshole, but is this really necessary?

Sorry, I didn't realize this was the happy fun time hour of compliments and sunshine. :rolleyes:

You provided vague conjecture and I called you on it. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

91CelicaGTOhio
06-25-2006, 01:03 PM
ok ive got a thread elsewhere about makin ur own pullies, now we're touching into the harmonic balance topic here, how can u change it from the harmoic balancer to a normal setup so i dont have to worry about that lil problem of mine??

Murgatroy
06-25-2006, 02:07 PM
ok ive got a thread elsewhere about makin ur own pullies, now we're touching into the harmonic balance topic here, how can u change it from the harmoic balancer to a normal setup so i dont have to worry about that lil problem of mine??
You can't.

The crank pulley has the damper built in. So unless you run accessory underdrive pulleys, or find a company that manufactures a crank pulley with a damper integrated (Fluidampr) you are not gonna make you engine happy in the long run.

And last I knew, Fluidampr hasn't made it to the Celica yet.