PDA

View Full Version : 1990 GT problems

Kdog
07-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Alright, I will try to say this the best way I can. I am new so please bare with me. I just bought a 1990 Celica GT and it ran great....for the first 2 days, now I went to go start it, and it would start, I could turn the key and hear click click, and if I held it in the same spot it would click faster and it sounded like it was under the dash on the passenger side. I couldn't tell what it was, so I tried a push start, maybe thinking my starter or my disturbuter was out, and it started great, ran great, little on the low side for an idel, so I went to my next idea and checked the juice in the battery, it was fine, but the termanel was worn so I replaced that, still does the same thing, any ideas? Starter still a guess or my ing switch, but other then that I am lost. Thanks. :stupid:

locker
07-13-2005, 07:35 PM
thats sounds like your starter! Before you replace it try hitting it a few times with a hammer

TEAMFaint
07-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Are you sure your clutch is pushed in all the way? I had a brain fart when I first got the car and I didnt push in the clutch all the way, because the clutch was so much deeper than the one on my Laser. Not saying this is your problem, but just incase you had a brain fart like me :)

Kdog
07-13-2005, 07:49 PM
You think its my starter, even though its got the click click going on? I have my friend running to Napa right now to pick one up, should have it in tonight and we will see how things go from there. As for the clutch all the way in, yeah it is, thats what I thought for like 2 seconds too. But nope its all the way in. I'll let you guys know, also anymore info would be great.

COLDAX
07-13-2005, 09:06 PM
sounds like a starter. you may also be able to rebuild it, i think they sell kits. A rebuilt stock denso starter is better then what you get from parts stores. Unless it's the alternator that can be rebuilt and I am confused? are brain farts contagious?

Kdog
07-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Lol, yeah you can rebuild both, your right, but I have it off right now, if it works with a new one, I have a system that I just take it back and rebuild what I need. your right, both can be rebuilt. LOL, cilanodes(sp) are a bitch tho.

RickyNo
07-13-2005, 10:42 PM
solenoides ;)

Kdog
07-13-2005, 11:12 PM
yeah thats it, thats how you spell it, lol, sorry I'm stupd[/STUPID]

Kdog
07-13-2005, 11:13 PM
:stupid: ERR let me try that again

VikingJZ
07-14-2005, 05:36 AM
Yeah I had an interesting run in with my starter a few months ago. Somehow the cast iron around the mounting hole broke off and made the starter sit at an angle. This caused the flywheel to just make a WHEEEEEEEEEEEEET sound. Good thing for a replacement that I got off of Ebay. Ten bucks for a working starter and alternator. Not to shabby. I'd try your starter. It's not like it's too hard to get to :).

Kdog
07-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Well hey, I went home last night, took me all of 20 min to figure everything out. Put the new starter in and sure as shit, didn't work lol. I tried nockin it a little bit, but it wouldn't crank, push start just fine. Still getting my click click click, but its not the starter clicking, I was down there and I sat right under it. Ummm next idea is Ing switch, but that I am not sure I know how to do? Any ideas? I am going to give that a try and go from there. Don't have anything else to lose.

shammyinz
07-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I had the same problem on my celica, It was a bad sensor, I belive ( not 100% sure ) that it was the Cold air Sensor. I can post which it is when I get home today, dont have time to go check right now.

Kdog
07-14-2005, 07:55 PM
K thanks, I will be waiting

mkivgte
07-18-2005, 03:36 AM
That clicking sound you hear on the passenger side under the dash is coming from the kick panel. It is from the starter relay. I had a similar problem with mine 2 weeks ago where it wouldn't even crank just heard the click click.

It turns out the my battery terminals were badly corroded as everyone
suggested. I thoroughly cleaned the terminals and haven't had a problem
with the car starting. Check your battery terminals for corrosion.