PDA

View Full Version : $70 90-93 Celica Short Shifter ??

caneman
07-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Has anyone seen the following eBay listing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4560643756&fromMakeTrack=true

$70+13.95 S&H

The seller posted the following info:

"This is a brand new 90-93 toyota celica short shifter.

Like everything new, or different you put in your car, there will need to be some modifications. But none of the modifications needed to be done are difficault or impossible." No major tools or machines are needed for the installation of this shifter.

You can see in the picture below the shifter in the actual vehicle.

I will send instructions on the modifications you need to make the shifter functional.

Please don't ask for the modifications, I wont give them to you without a product purchase.

If your worried about the shifter not working with the mods don't be, I just put this shifter in my own personal car and it works beautifuly."

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the originally intended application of this shifter (what car it was designed for)? Since it needs mod, assume it wasn't designed for Cel Gen5.

dan93st
07-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Has anyone seen the following eBay listing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4560643756&fromMakeTrack=true

$70+13.95 S&H

The seller posted the following info:

"This is a brand new 90-93 toyota celica short shifter.

Like everything new, or different you put in your car, there will need to be some modifications. But none of the modifications needed to be done are difficault or impossible." No major tools or machines are needed for the installation of this shifter.

You can see in the picture below the shifter in the actual vehicle.

I will send instructions on the modifications you need to make the shifter functional.

Please don't ask for the modifications, I wont give them to you without a product purchase.

If your worried about the shifter not working with the mods don't be, I just put this shifter in my own personal car and it works beautifuly."

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the originally intended application of this shifter (what car it was designed for)? Since it needs mod, assume it wasn't designed for Cel Gen5.

Looks legit... He might be talking about the spacers or removing the "ratchet" thingey on the stock shifter... I had to do those two things when installing my TWM shifter.

caneman
07-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Makes me wonder...

He refuses to share mods description without payment in full. Maybe if you knew the mods ahead of time, anyone could run out and buy the shifter from the manufacturer (not from him, and for less than $70, we can assume) and do the mods themselves.

TWM Performance
07-13-2005, 10:26 PM
My guess is that he bought it thinking it would fit a 90-93 Celica, couldn't figure out how to make it work and is now trying to get rid of it...

Judging by the tiny picture it's a Chinese rip off of a 7th Gen short shifter but it's hard to be sure...

My 2 Cents...

Karel
TWM (http://www.twmperformance.com)

gt4-Showcar
07-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Thats not it. I know the guy. He won't tell you because you could buy it for less, but then you would have to figure out the mods yourself. I would recommend going for it if you really want one, or just buy one off the corolla. It depends on what you want. The corolla kit will actually shorten the amount of shift throw you must do, but keep the shifter at the same height. The one you are looking at on ebay will lower it a bit, but not make as much difference. You could do what I am doing and get the corolla one and then have it cut shorter so it will also be lower.

VikingJZ
07-14-2005, 05:27 AM
You could always measure up and get your desired length and then cutit. After that you'd have to re-tap the threads with a tap set.

bloodredgt
07-14-2005, 07:55 AM
looks like a rip off... The height of the shifter rod is the same height as my stock 91 shifter. Pretty damn tall if you ask me. I think just hacking the stock shifter is good enough for me. Sure it's not as great as the twm but it's good enough IMO.

just my 2 cents

celicaguy.
08-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Thats not it. I know the guy. He won't tell you because you could buy it for less, but then you would have to figure out the mods yourself. I would recommend going for it if you really want one, or just buy one off the corolla. It depends on what you want. The corolla kit will actually shorten the amount of shift throw you must do, but keep the shifter at the same height. The one you are looking at on ebay will lower it a bit, but not make as much difference. You could do what I am doing and get the corolla one and then have it cut shorter so it will also be lower.

I asked about this a long time ago and no one really answered. Back on c.net i read that a corolla shifter would work. Will it?

StafeBak
08-02-2005, 09:29 AM
On mr2oc some guys were reviewing this or a similiar product and it was mixed reviews, some people liked it, some didn't; just go TWM you cheap bastards! ;)

celicaguy.
08-02-2005, 11:18 PM
On mr2oc some guys were reviewing this or a similiar product and it was mixed reviews, some people liked it, some didn't; just go TWM you cheap bastards! ;)

If there is potential to save money I will. In some ways it sucks to be a student, oh well. Corolla short shifters are like 10$ on ebay, so you could save big time.

fiveSFE
08-02-2005, 11:42 PM
try cutting your stock one, i did when i had my celica and it was great, and it looked pretty good also.

caneman
08-03-2005, 02:35 AM
images/icons/icon5.gif eBay $70 90-93 Short Shifter ...
Has anyone bought one of these and installed it yet? gt4-Showcar reported that he knew the seller and the offer was on the up-and-up, but has anyone actually tried it yet? If so, any pics?

I'd hate to spend (half) the $ I've been saving for a TWM short shifter on this one, only to find out that it needed more than "minor" mods or didn't work well. ../imagearchive/chris/smileys/sad.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9... QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-TOYOTA-CELICA-SHORT-SHIFTER_W0QQitemZ4565869729QQcategoryZ107063QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem)

caneman
08-03-2005, 02:53 AM
I think that I screwed up when posting this thread. It now appears twice in the forum. I posted a new question yesterday when I noticed that the "eBay shifter" was again available. I just want to know if anyone has actualy tried it. No offense to TWM Performance, since I'm still saving for one, but I'd like to know if there is an option for those who can't afford the "best." ;)

My apologies for mixing up my posts.

locker
08-03-2005, 03:09 AM
If you want to go cheap just cut the stock shifter and heat up the ball and choke it up a bit. A good friend of mine has done it and feels great!

Shlick GT-S
02-15-2006, 10:53 PM
I agree with locker, I just took the 'ol saws all to my stock shifter and threw on a fancy new shift knob. works great. the throw is (of course) shortened because of the reduced shifter length and it doesn't take any real effort to run it through the gears so leverage isn't really an issue, you're not driving a semi after all.

magik06
02-16-2006, 04:16 PM
when u cut your shifter the throw isnt affected at all am i right. im pretty sure i am.I bought a short throw for a corolla and it fit perfectly , thats what i would suggest doing it you want a real short throw. pz

celicaguy.
02-16-2006, 08:51 PM
I ended up modding the stock one. However i didnt not end up welding it. You can simply drill out the peening on the ball, and move the ball up on the shifter, but because the shaft is tapered i got a buddy of mine to machine it down a bit, then I tapped a set screw through the hole where i drilled the peening out. Before all this I also cut the top and threaded it down further with a die. Works awesome, wicked throw reduction and looks.

b1ackhawk
06-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Can anyone tell me what years corolla short shifter fit gen 5 celica?
How much is the throw shortened?

Shadowlife25
06-05-2007, 07:13 AM
A note to the noobs: You CAN NOT shorten throw by reducing the height of the shifter arm. The only way to reduce the throw, is to ADD length below the fulcrum point.

That is all.

Murgatroy
06-06-2007, 07:15 AM
A note to the noobs: You CAN NOT shorten throw by reducing the height of the shifter arm. The only way to reduce the throw, is to ADD length below the fulcrum point.

That is all.
:stupid:

Cutting length off of the top does not reduce throw. It will reduce travel and height, but not throw.

A short shifter is longer on the bottom of the fulcrum.

I have a 5th Gen shifter installed in my 4th Gen. The only mod I had to make was increasing the size of the spacer. I would assume it would be the same for a Corolla shifter. I know that Coldiron (CMS-GT4) runs a Corolla shifter in his ST185, but he did some modifications to it to make it fit.

I just have an eBay shifter. I got it from a member here and made it fit. It took about 20 minutes to install.

grayscale
06-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Actually, Murg has a Corolla shifter, he just didn't know it;) Although I have no idea what years it was that fit. If you search enough here though you will find it. Just type in corolla shifter or something. The 7th gen shifters also work IIRC.

Conrad_Turbo
06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
http://www.aceengineering.ca/5thgen_shifter.asp

Sure it's cheaper to do it yourself, but if you can't then I'd say TWM is your best bet.

grayscale
06-07-2007, 02:35 AM
I believe they made quite a few different designs of shifters for our cars from the factory. When I first pulled mine years ago I was going to do the same as Conrad and press the ball further up, but upon closer inspection I found that the bit of shaft the ball rested on was machined down a tad and was smaller than the shaft above so pressing was out. I have also noticed that several people were able to cut the tops off of their shifters and then run a die on it to cut new threads. Once again, the shaft area further down from my original threads was too large in diameter to run a die on. I ended up having to do mine the old way and cut a piece from under the threads to add to the bottom and then weld it all back.

toyotaguy90
06-15-2007, 06:56 AM
What year of corolla shifters will fit a 90-93?