PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Failure! HELP

Speedy2k
07-11-2005, 08:15 PM
I was driving on the highway at about 60mph in 5th gear, when suddenly the rpms started climbing up but the car was not accelerating. I would press the gas pedal, the revs would go up but the power was not being delivered to the wheels. I tried 4th gear and it was the exact same thing. It felt like when my clutch burned out and it would slip so the car wouldnt accelerate.

I pulled over and tried 1st gear and the exact same thing, revs up but doesnt move anywhere. So I turn off the car and come out. All of a sudden I see fluid moving from underneath my car. I check it out and it is red; tranny oil! It all leaked out on the road.

I am trying to figure out what the HELL happened. I have a 90 Celica GTS w/3SGTE & S53 stock tranny. Any ideas guys???

gt4-Showcar
07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Oh NO! That same thing happened to my friend's jetta. We found that he had punched a small hole in the transmission, :ugh: Not good. I don't know why this would happen though. In the jetta it was because he was always racing and one time torque shifted too low.

Rayme
07-11-2005, 09:41 PM
wow you destroyed a bulletproof tranny !

Speedy2k
07-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Ok I jacked the car up and this is what I saw. My passenger axle popped out of the transmission. Both cv boots are ripped. I have no ided how it would have popped out of the tranny. I got a new cv axle and will install it tommorow. I have never done this before so could some tips :)

Do I also need to get axle seals for the transmission side? Or do I reuse the old ones.

Oh and what oil should I use, ATF or gear oil?

Hooligan
07-12-2005, 03:45 PM
I would certainly recommend installing a new axle seal. You wouldn't want to have to pull that axle again just to install a new seal.

What to fill your gearbox with has been a debate on this board and Celica.net since the beginning of Celica time (hehe, not really, but it's been going on for awhile). There's a thread on this debate in this forum as we speak. I suggest you read up some and make your own decision..

Speedy2k
07-13-2005, 03:08 AM
Alright the new axle is in along with the axle seal. However I couldnt not get that fucking fill plug loose. I got a 15/16" wrench and just couldnt torque the damned thing off. The bolt is also a bit stripped which doesnt help the situation, making the wrench slip off. Now the question is....

can I drive the car with no tranny oil for like a 1km to get to a garage so they could fill up the oil for me. Whats the chance the tranny will be damaged?

Punisher
07-13-2005, 03:23 AM
Hmmm.. Man.. I know the problem.. Have you tried using something like a set of vice grips? I hadn't drained my fluid out luckily enough.. it took some serious abuse from the impact wrench to get the damn thing loose too.. I personally wouldn't drive it with-out the gear oil in.. however.. you do still have some in there.. so .. maybe you'd be alright?

Speedy2k
07-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Nah i am DRY :(

schreindogg
07-13-2005, 03:43 AM
I wouldn't recommend driving it without fluid. The plug is actually 24mm. Use a 6 point socket with a breaker bar or an impact wrench. And when you do get it off, dont tighten it so damn much next time!

alltracman78
07-13-2005, 03:53 AM
^ Ya, everything on your car is METRIC. Don't use standard sizes, it could/will strip the head.

And don't drive it without filling it....

Punisher
07-13-2005, 05:13 AM
15/16 worked for me.. I believe that is the same size in SAE as 24mm... Make sure you find yourself a new bolt.. I got mine at advance auto in the oil drain plug section.. put a new gasket on it as well. The new drain plug I got has a nice tall socket head on it so it won't round out.