PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a R-134a retrofit kit

Slider
07-11-2005, 03:55 AM
My a/c was kind of weak, so the retrofit kit caught my eye at wal-mart, $33 comes with the pressure meter, the adapters (you only use one for the low pressure valve) to retrofit it, and 3 big cans of refridgerant with oil and leak sealer and o-ring conditioner included in the cans. I pop the hood find the low pressure valve, and it has already been retrofitted :rant: . So I checked the pressure and it was right on the bottom of the filled range, almost needing a refill. Decided not to put more since it's kinda fine for now. I'll fill it up when the pressure drops. Maybe the celica A/C is just weak?

Also is there an optimal pressure for our A/C?

Dr.Auto
07-11-2005, 04:24 AM
There isn't really an answer for your question considering the way you asked it. Because the pressure of refigerant is relative to temperature, charge amount, compressor RPM and humidity. So my answer in this case is.......there is no answer that is definate. And I might add that using a Wal-mart gauge which only monitos one side of teh A/C system is false reprisentation of a true diagnostic precedure as the high side pressure should also be compared with low side pressure as they are reletive to each other. And........ R-134a is not something that I whoud really want to guess with as far a charge weight, esspecially not knowing what's in the system to begin with. As it's cooling ability depends greatly on the correct charge weight, which is also applified in importance esspecially if the system was origonally a R-12 setup that has been retrofitted.

I would reccommend that you do some reading on A/C systems and educate yourself on the theory of how they work before you get too involved. I'm not saying that we can't help you hee, but you should start out with a basic knowledge of how the system works before you screw with it. Becasue being able to look at the sight glass on the reciever/dryer durring operation can tell you alot....... but if you don't know what your looking at then it's useless information. And this is where the reading of informative books comes in handy along with understand the low side and the high side operating pressures. Becasue not only will incorrect charge weights effect the pressures, faulty components will also effect operating pressures.
Good luck!

(I'm not trying to tell you to go piss off........ I'm just pointing out that A/C systems are very complicated and you should know a little about what your doing before hand. And there is a reason why guys have to be certified on a professional basis to leagally work on A/C systems........ because it can be dangerous (to personal self) and is an environmental issue with the ozone)

Colossus20v
07-12-2005, 12:27 AM
does anyone have the information on the A/C recall? Wasnt there a recall on the a/c systems from like 90-93 years or sumthing? Slider because if there was maybe you can just have toyota check it out for you.

Dr.Auto
07-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Yes there was a recall for the A/C.
SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN - P01 (A/C EXPANSION VALVE)
But if it's already been done then you won't have any luck in that dirrection. But if it hasn't.........jump on that man!
Have the closest Toyota dealer run a CV-3 which is the entire history on the car listing all warranty work that has been done to it. And that will tell you if you are eligable.

Slider
07-12-2005, 03:14 AM
Hmmm I gotta check that out.

smoothtuner
07-12-2005, 04:06 AM
What would that recall net you?

VikingJZ
07-12-2005, 06:59 AM
The recall would net you a new part at the cost and labor of the Toyota dealer, depending on if your car is still valid for the recall. Sometimes companies only run recalls for a certain number of years before basically saying "screw you" to anyone else who comes looking for it after that time period. I'll have mine checked because my A/C isn't working and I doubt the lady that owned it before me had the Expansion Valve replaced.

I found that same kit at Pep Boys for $33.99 and was tempted to buy it, but I want to make sure it isn't the pressure switch on the compressor first.

I honestly wish R-12 was still readily available. Rediculous.....

oneof81
07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I honestly wish R-12 was still readily available. Rediculous.....

R-12 IS still readily available..........you just have to be certified to buy it and have a thick wallet!

VikingJZ
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, yeah, but I meant the where I could walk into Car Quest and buy a few pounds off of the shelf. Damn government. Oh well.

oneof81
07-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Well, yeah, but I meant the where I could walk into Car Quest and buy a few pounds off of the shelf. Damn government. Oh well.

Yep.............your government at work for you! But you really wouldn't probably want to buy a pound or two off the shelf anyway....even if it were available. It would most likely cost in the realm of $65 or more a pound. At that price you can see where a retrofit looks really nice. Although I don't understand why people retrofit to R-134A when there are drop in replacements available that you don't have to change the fittings, the oil and the drier/receiver. My mind just boggles every time I read that someone retrofitted to R-134A.

Dr.Auto
07-13-2005, 02:28 AM
The reason they use R-134a is becasue it is automotive friendly. Just like R-12 was. And by saying that I mean that in the event of a crash you have one less explosive on your hands. You already have fuel, and you have a battery that can short out and explode, or leak.

Now R=134a is relatively safe eccept for possible vapor, so that is why it's used in cars. most of the other refrigerants out there are used mostly for cooling buildings or refrigerators/freezers. The chance that these will ecounter a collision with a fire is very low.

Now why Do I keep bringing up the explosion and fire point? Because the way I understand it most other refrigerants other than R-12 and R134a have a ingredient that's explosive/flamible ( I think it's propane but not sure as I'm only certified in R-12 and R-134a). But when I was taking my classes that's the point that they made as to the reason why other refrigerants aren't used, and I just took for granted that they were correct, not knowing much about home/comercial refrigerant systems. Although I do know that When I was living right by malmstrom AFB they were using a derivitive of one of the alternatives and it didn't last very long in the trucks. The seals didn't like it and would dry up prematurely. But that's about all I know about the "others".

alltracman78
07-13-2005, 03:50 AM
I found that same kit at Pep Boys for $33.99 and was tempted to buy it, but I want to make sure it isn't the pressure switch on the compressor first.

The pressure switch is on the high or low pressure line. By the firewall. I don't remember which off the top of my head.