View Full Version : RESTORE; Engine Restorer

acidice333
07-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Anybody ever tried this stuff?

http://www.restoreusa.com/restorer.html

Luni
07-10-2005, 07:25 AM
None of that shit worked for me.

If your car is mildly using oil Id say it might.. MIGHT help, but I doubt it.

My civic chews through anything i put in it.

Best advice is if you are using enough oil for it to matter you need a rebuild or a new engine. My civic does. It chews through ANYTHING I put in there. Just for a test I put some 85w90 gear oil in it once.. it chewed through it in about the same amount of time as it took it to chew through 20w50 oil or 10w40.. They all seem about the same.

acidice333
07-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Nah my car isnt eating up oil... just idles at 1000, and ticks, and the exhaust smells a little funny- no I dont see any smoke puffing out. I have a can of this stuff in my garage and I was just wondering if anybody tried this (: Guess I'll goto Lordco and see if they carry Seafoam (: or maybe Walmart?

Also what is another alternative to Seafoam? I dont think they sell it here in Canada do they? I heard there is a store here that carries it but its not here where I live but that was a year ago (:

Edicius
07-10-2005, 09:19 PM
i tried it, i didn't notice a difference.

a friend of mine who has a taurus tried it, and he said he got slightly better gas mileage.

dan93st
07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Also what is another alternative to Seafoam? I dont think they sell it here in Canada do they? I heard there is a store here that carries it but its not here where I live but that was a year ago (:

I used something called Run Rite in my car. Had separate formulas for the oil, gas, and the intake. Seemed to react about the same as seafoam when I put it in...lots of smoke for a few minutes. I definately noticed a difference, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the stuff. I've never used seafoam in my car, so I can't compare directly, but the process and results were very similar to using seafom on a friend's car.

Luni
07-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Something to clean out all the oil passages and crap you might want to look into a kerosene bath. Basically you take 2 quarts of kerosene and 2 quarts of oil, run the car to regular operating temps (idle it for like 20 or 30 minutes, raising the rpm slightly to up the oil pressure) and drain it, run some regular oil back in it for another 20 minutes and drain it (to get the residual out of it) and then put regular oil in it. That is supposed to clean all the sludge out of the head and all the oil passages. Ive read about it quite a bit now.

EvilSpeeder
07-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Something to clean out all the oil passages and crap you might want to look into a kerosene bath. Basically you take 2 quarts of kerosene and 2 quarts of oil, run the car to regular operating temps (idle it for like 20 or 30 minutes, raising the rpm slightly to up the oil pressure) and drain it, run some regular oil back in it for another 20 minutes and drain it (to get the residual out of it) and then put regular oil in it. That is supposed to clean all the sludge out of the head and all the oil passages. Ive read about it quite a bit now.

And it doesn't kill the bearings? Sounds suspect to me.

All the engine restore crap is snake oil. Don't waste your time/money.

MrWOT
07-11-2005, 03:40 AM
http://www.celicatech.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5470&highlight=engine+flush

Flushing plus good oil will do better then any additive package :)

Colossus20v
07-11-2005, 11:29 PM
ive used it before. Didnt notice any difference. I usually use slick 50, but with my last oil change I used Lucas oil stabilizer stuff and the car runs very smooth. Especially in the higher rpms.

MrWOT
07-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't use the Lucas stabilizer unless you have a crank scrapper and/or a windage tray. It creates an incredible amount of windage at high crank speeds.

Colossus20v
07-11-2005, 11:51 PM
really??? My silvertop is running very smooth with 10w - 40w and a quart of Lucas.

acidice333
07-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Gahh.. so I went to one store today... no seafoam, no run rite, no nothing so I can suckup into my TB and create that beautiful white cloud. No I don't want it just for that! I want to use to see if it improves anything since I've heard so much about it (: Who knows, maybe it will cure my ticking and funny exaust smell.

MrWOT
07-12-2005, 02:56 AM
really??? My silvertop is running very smooth with 10w - 40w and a quart of Lucas.

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't work as advertised, but it creates a tremendous amount of drag at high crank speeds. It will cost more hp then it frees up without a scraper and/or tray.

Colossus20v
07-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't work as advertised, but it creates a tremendous amount of drag at high crank speeds. It will cost more hp then it frees up without a scraper and/or tray.
well fuck then. What do you recommend for high reving engines then? it seems to like it and seems smoother as well. damnit. I thought I was using the right stuff.

MrWOT
07-12-2005, 11:38 PM
If you use a good base oil you dont NEED any additives. If you rev high constantly, buy a racing oil like Alisyn Prodrive21 or Redline. Additives are only useful to make up for weak points in an oil, if the oil is designed for high performance motors, it's usually pretty hard to improve on that design :)

85gtsblackman
07-13-2005, 03:17 AM
im always on the highway and both cars rev high, i just use castrol 20w50 dyno oil

in the rd2(tib) i use 20w50 and a napa oil filter...napa filters are made by wix

acidice333
07-13-2005, 06:50 AM
well I went to Lordco... they never heard of Seafoam lol .. Any Canadians help me out? Hehe anybody in WA planning a visit to Victoria BC and want to buy me a few bottles?

Galcobar
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Actually, planning on going to WA on Thurs to pick up my suspension parts, and had Seafoam on my list of things to buy while I'm down there.

Seafoam's not available in Canada yet, according to the manufacturer.

acidice333
07-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Buy me two or three cans (: